Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

liveinxs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius ActionCam, Front, Rear and both Sides
I am gonna be ordering another Mobius, and was curious what was the most popular Mobius Lens version, Wide Lens or Standard Lens...

which is more popular really doesn't mean much, which suits your own personal need is all that is relevant, both are good at what they do, if you have one type already just order the other, you can do your own comparison then ;)

I've got a wide and a standard version along with a spare wide lens I keep trying on different cameras.

If you want the best numberplate reading in the day then the standard is the way to go as all the action is close to you - if you want better night performance or a wider view of the action then wide is the way to go.

You can run the wide lens in standard or wide mode - the Mobius really does have a ridiculous amount of options to suit every usage scenario!

Showing off the lens B in Mobius' widest mode (pixal binning) ...

The debate will go on forever, it's a bit like the MAC vs PC debate...

For me it came down to catching as much as possible. I have no idea where the action will come from, so the wide angle was important to me. In the case of the following video, the wide angle was able to catch the key event, while the standard lens would of missed it.

The debate will go on forever, it's a bit like the MAC vs PC debate...

For me it came down to catching as much as possible. I have no idea where the action will come from, so the wide angle was important to me. In the case of the following video, the wide angle was able to catch the key event, while the standard lens would of missed it.

That video looks great, no noise, and blacks look very solid, I read somewhere that the FW has a lot to do with night time quality, which FW are you using, and are there any mods to picture settings...

I am presently using FW 2.18, but havent had a chance to test night time video.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="reverend, post: 95544, member: 6408

You can run the wide lens in standard or wide mode - the Mobius really does have a ridiculous amount of options to suit every usage scenario![/QUOTE]

I have wide angle lens, in narrow mode , the video will be like standard lens ?
I'm sorry for my english.

To be honest mate I've not tried it yet - it's sat in my todo pile!

I'll give it a whirl this weekend :)

Ah poor Rev, so many cameras so little time :p

Does your wife let you keep them displayed in the house?

how does the quality compare between 1080p wide and 1080p narrow modes on the A lens?
well i just set my cam to the Narrow setting, with the Wide lens, reason why i tried it , was that even after installing a temporary Black felt, i still saw a slight amount of reflections, when i say slight, i mean slight, i went from a say 100, down to about 1o on the reflection scale...

i noticed that the reflections were lower in the picture, so i figured if i set it to narrow, maybe that will help...

gonna test it tonight, will let you know...

This topic has beens discussed so many times, without a clear winner. It is based on user preference. Here's two of the many discussions

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/standard-lens-or-wide-angle.6394/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/which-lens.4334/#post-51320

We might consider posting a sticky of some kind that suggests to new members that it could be helpful to search for a topic to see if it has already been discussed before posting about it.

Anyway, like GJHS says it is a preference and both wide and narrow coverage lenses have their merits.

Back