Will it damage my car or make mess ?

Mozzie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A119, B1W, A119S, A129+ Duo
Hmmmm . make a mess = Possibly ...
If you suddenly break for a rodent , some one might run up your clacker ... ( That'l make a mess )

That's the usual "roadkill" seen here; about 20 of these for each squirrel. Might stink some if parts get stuck on a hot exhaust system or topple a motorcycle who is cornering but not any real hazard ;) Similar to a cat or same-size dog in bone strength.

The only known use for a Possum is as a Canadian Lodge Mascot:
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati :cool:

Phil

Well animals are not that smart, here in Denmark we had fog 4 days in a row, and what do our swans do,,,, they fly off course, leading to 80 of them getting killed in a very little place ( one field ) when they fly into some high voltage transmission lines.

Ps. the Swan is our national bird, and it seem like thats a good choice as they appear to be as "smart" as us :rolleyes:

Possums and their stupidity are the butt of many an old "southern" joke.
5605564107_84a1a6c757.jpg

Phil

depends on how low your car is and what it's made of. fiberglass or CF probably won't fare too well. metal would bend but also be able to be bent back. plastic bumpers would be ideal.

i once tried to center a possum in my neighborhood while driving slow... couldn't swerve left due to oncoming cars, and couldn't go right because of a curb, so i tried to center it, hoping it would lay down and not get hit by the floorpan or whatever. dumb thing kept walking so it got run over by my back tire.

Make a mess? Possible

Hurt your car? Possible but probably not.

I once hit an adult groundhog ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog ) while driving my Triumph GT6 Mk3 and all that happened was a very loud "THUD" and a groundhog body spinning on the road behind me.

Last edited:
Possums have a light bone structure; more like a cat than a dog. Maybe a hard plastic spoiler on a really low car would be damaged with a high-speed hit but otherwise just ignore them just as they are doing you ;)

I once hit a domesticated duck at about 125MPH. It made one heck of a bang against my bumper and folded back one driving light breaking the bulb filament but I could find no other damage- not even feather or fluff stuck anywhere. I'm sure the duck saw the matter ending a little differently :rolleyes:

Phil

Weirdest animal I've hit was a pigeon. Two of them were fighting above the freeway when they suddenly swooped down in front of me, while I was going a steady 75mph. One of them hit my windshield dead center. I kept looking in the rear view to see if I could see it fall or even hit a car behind me but I never saw either of them again. And zero damage to my car, just a loud thud that I could feel in the steering wheel

One night driving home from work at 4 in the morning i hit a owl ( i assume )
I was doing 140 - 150 km/h on what was then a 110 km/h motorway, always did back then as there was no other traffic and to be honest i also dident give a damn back then.

Anyway suddenly there was a almighty smack on my windscreen and i pulled over in the EMG lane to have a look at what the hell happened.

So i got out and found no damage to my windscreen, but my telescopic radio antenna that was in that side close to the windscreen was bend almost like you see when Donald duck run into something and shaping it to his shape, plus there was a little goo and feathers on the antenna too.

A big ass badger took out my front spoiler on the same car, but luckily i was able to glue the rests together as that pice of plastic was expensive even 2 hand one.

The speed was the same but this was on the 1 lane highway before i hit the motorway near a town called Horsens.
I swear to god it felt like my 1.6 GT Opel was launched a little as it compacted the badger beneath it. :eek:
Stopped to have a look, badger was a bloddy pulp i pushed into the ditch beside the road.

my brother hit a deer on his motorcycle (which he'd bought brand new with 0 miles on it, and had owned for just over one month). nobody believed him - dad thought he'd been out riding drunk and just crashed. then he pulled back the tank cover and there was deer fur jammed in the front edge. also found some wedged in the headlight trim and other various things attached to the handlebars. even then dad didn't believe him, even though the reporting officer actually did a breathalyzer test and came up clean. dad was kind of a jerk for a few years after the divorce...

My dad alienated me when he and my mom split up, only ones not knowing my mother was seeing another man was me and my father.
My father did not alienate my little sister who knew that mom was seeing another :rolleyes:

Anyways thats all long gone now, we all spent x mas together the past 6-7 years.

Thats how it goes when a man ( or woman ) is married to the job, and my father was married to his union job ( brick layers / masons union ) and his political career in the Danish communist party.
So he was out the door before 6 in the morning and the days he did get home it was no earlier than dinner time around 6-7 in the evening.

Speaking of "encounters of the weird kind" between motorcycles and animals, back in 1994 I was riding my Yamaha FZR1000 Genesis in some back roads at "reasonable" speeds when a bird (which I found out later was a sparrow) flew in front of me. I heard a light bang but didn't see the bird bouncing either to the sides, over or behind me. I stopped to see if it had hit the radiator but didn't see any damage or any traces or feathers or blood on the fairing. Since there was no apparent damages I jumped back on to continue my journey and didn't thought about it again.
The following weeks I started noticing the bike was acting up, like it was losing power or something was causing the bike to not push like before. My first thought went to a spark plug or carburation problem, so I took the bike to my mechanic to be checked out. When I removed the air filter box I noticed something lose inside, so I opened it. If by now you're thinking to yourselves "oh, so that's where the sparrow went!" you're absolutely right! :eek::D
The bike has an air-induction system with two tunnels, one on each side of the front fairing, that go straight into the air box (see pictures below).
Maybe the engineers didn't think anyone would be so "lucky" to have this happening to them, so they didn't put anything at the tunnels' entrance to block big objects from entering. The air filter was covered with feathers and the bird was pushed into the filter, probably due to the high suction. :confused::oops:

FZR1000_1.jpg
Yamaha FZR1000 91  4.jpg

Back