Wired-in Dashcam

Bazzza

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the time that some moron was doing £1600 of damage to my car in a supermarket carpark my dashcam did not record the event or him/her leaving the scene as it was powered from the cigarette lighter socket which switched off with the ignition.
Question A. Are there any cameras that will continue to run on their own internal battery for, say, 2 hours?
Question B. Are there any cameras that can be wired into the car electrics that will not flatten the car battery?

what make / model of dashcam do you have, any link to the product ?

DOD LS470W+ has High-Efficiency Battery which can work up to 3 hours without external power supply:

http://www.carcamwarehouse.com/dod_ls470w_plus.html

also picture quality should be similar like LS470W which was compared there:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...sony-exmor-imx322-vs-sony-exmor-imx322.18315/

I would not recommend to relay on dashcam battery alone, even if specs says "up to". In real world it means much less when it's brand new. Note that batteries DO deplete in their storage capacity over time - this reduction applies to ALL batteries in all models of camera.

Both of them works on 5V input.

I would not recommend to relay on dashcam battery alone, even if specs says "up to". In real world it means much less when it's brand new. Note that batteries DO deplete in their storage capacity over time - this reduction applies to ALL batteries in all models of camera.

Thanks Niko. I think, in view of what you say, The power bank would be the way to go; definitely preferable to using the camera battery.

Thanks Niko. I think, in view of what you say, The power bank would be the way to go; definitely preferable to using the camera battery.

Yeah, in your case I think it is not reasonable to change both dashcams for something else if overall you are happy with them. Most practical solution I see to buy quality power bank with 2 x USB ports, so you can feed both dashcam at a time while parked. I have been using Anker E13 for quite long and I am happy with it, it has two usb ports.
The only thing for you would be probably hustle of plugging-unplugging both usb power cable between cigarette lighter socket ( while you drive ) and power bank while you park.

Yeah, in your case I think it is not reasonable to change both dashcams for something else if overall you are happy with them. Most practical solution I see to buy quality power bank with 2 x USB ports, so you can feed both dashcam at a time while parked. I have been using Anker E13 for quite long and I am happy with it, it has two usb ports.
The only thing for you would be probably hustle of plugging-unplugging both usb power cable between cigarette lighter socket ( while you drive ) and power bank while you park.
If I read your post properly I should have seen that the Anker is the way to go as you have been using that one.

If I read your post properly I should have seen that the Anker is the way to go as you have been using that one.

I am sure there are many other good quality power banks. The Anker E4 1st gen. 13'000 mAh is what I have good experience with, as well as many other DCT users. One I remember is @russ331 , he may also share his experience when get a chance. Unfortunately 1st gen is getting hard to get.

There is other brand which I am tempted to try and has very good specs and feedback:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00OJXVDAU

Does the Generation make much difference?

2nd gen has IQ ports which adjust their Amp output automatically, but I don't have an experience with it.

2nd gen has IQ ports which adjust their Amp output automatically, but I don't have an experience with it.
I have taken the plunge and ordered the one in your link. Thanks. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle plugging and unplugging as it is only needed when it is parked in some vulnerable place, like a supermarket car park (weekly) or on the street (rarely). I'll let you know how it goes.

I have taken the plunge and ordered the one in your link. Thanks. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle plugging and unplugging as it is only needed when it is parked in some vulnerable place, like a supermarket car park (weekly) or on the street (rarely). I'll let you know how it goes.

You mean you ordered RavPower 16750mAh, right ?

Back