Z23L vs Gopro Hero 2 - Unhappy... Advices / Help please?

Emanuel Silva

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hello my friends
I bought a Gopro Hero time long time ago (when they become available) and it is still working "very well".
Time to upgrade and asked myself if worth the effort to go to Hero4 Black (5 coming soon I think) and spend its money... I think it could worth but after see some Yi videos, I took a change.
I received a Z23L last week, and 1st things I done was:

- This custom firmware with 35mbps on all high quality "sizes" (when I say this is the firmware available here at dashcamtalk forum)
- Opened it, connected it to a micrp hdmi to a 4k tv, printed focus pattern putted something like 2,5m away, and tried to focus it to see the smallest "cloud" possible.
- wrap it to the gopro and make some comparation...

After that I felt "sad"... Please have a look:

I think the old hero 2 beats my new little xioami don't you think?
I already saw a lot better movies from xiaomi... or weren't they really filmed with xiaomi yi? :(

VERY SORRY FOR MY VEGAS SKILS, the movies are not visible on full image (don0t know if you know what I mean), but I didn't make any changes to any,..

You can see here another one for the xiaomi alone on 1080 60fps 35mbps:

Something doesn't look correct to my eyes, can you give me any advice?

Today I tried another focus position... I'll upload asap.

Thanks in advance!
King regards

for me xiaomi looks better and more naturally, knowing you loose on quality uploading to forum!
what do you mean with focus position?
you have autoexec script, you can play little bit with saturation, vibrance, gamma, sharpness, whitebalance...?
what lines in script you have set?
mounted cam upside down and rotating via app, the AETable for autoexposure do not turn with the picture!
Thats not good recording with center mode (thinking best mode) you also have to turn AETable in firmware!
for me looks not so bad as you describe, only needs a little bit of fine tuning via autoexec.ash.
if you have an fast microsd you can set bitrate upto 45mbuts via script, looks clearer and for dashcam using try to record with 2K!
LG Gente

I am not running ny script as I don't know how to make it and how to use it... Just uploaded the firmware for 35mbps in High quality.
The focus position I mean the lens position, I rotate it a little more to right (clockwise).
The cards I am using are the Samsung EVO 16 and 32GB, do you think I will benefit to push it a little hard on mbps with this cards?

I just came from another little trip with gopro and xiaomi "wraped" together, I'll upload new results after put it side by side on vegas.

Thanks in advance

...no i mean mounting position of camera: you use it upside down or in normal position at your windscreen?
extract zip and copy this autoexec.ash file that i also use for better results, in your root directory and test it. I made it for better colors, noise,gamma, more bitrates, higher file splitting...if you like keep it.
Every starting the cam all the lines without hashtack (#) in script would be set!
If you set hashtack before line it not will be set so you can play with that script. If you do not want executing the commands of autoexec.ash rename file or delete it.
Read the howto.txt!
Try and reply.
Read a little bit here in forum and you learn much about that helpfully scripts!
LG gente
edit: repaired line11 in autoexec.ash

Attachments

• my.zip
    2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I used the xiaomi is normal position and gopro upside down (in upside down mode in gopro).
Did this just to put the lens of both as close as possible...

I am rendering now a 4k movie where will be visible both in 1080p side by size. I'll updoad it in some minutes.

About the script I'll have to real something more to learn about it as I didn't understand well if I need to make "anything" everytime I use the camera...

Just to notice that the xiomi will be used mostly for Motorcyle Enduro Riding on top of the helmet (ordered a Kingma 60m waterproof housing that didn't arrive yet).
Do you think that srict will work good on that?

Thanks again!

test the script by copying autoexec.ash in root directory of microsd and everytime you start cam all the scripts without a # before line in that file will be executed.
nothing can happen to your cam!
if you do not like the result delete or rename the file all would be as before.
so you can set commands not can be done by app!
try it and report...
the script is good for all recordings and photos in every situation, makes footage sharper, better exposure of darklights and highlights, better colours, better gamma correction, gives beep when ready starting the script, can set filesplitting to 4gb instead of 2gb, bitrates up to 45mbits all things cannot be set by app!
try it without risk!
most of users here work with scripts to make best of xiaomi yi.
LG Gente

How you can say GH2 looks better with it's weird yellow filter? For me Xiaomi is the clear winner.

It looked sharper to me o_O
Maybe just my eyes...

Here is the new video side by side in 4k (processing now I think)

xiaomi looks much better :)
and now test my script will look still better!

yes i know, xiaomi has a better white balance and more natural colours (white and green), looks much better for me!

Jus to don't make anything wrong, that script is ready to my Z23L with latest custom firmware from forum??
Thanks!

test the script by copying autoexec.ash in root directory of microsd and everytime you start cam all the scripts without a # before line in that file will be executed.

Hi again!

Didn't had time to came before...
I putted the file on the root, putted the cam in 1080P 30fps in High quality before start it with the microsd inserted. Turned it on, it made some different "beep" but it recorded at 35mbps as before (with custom firmware)...

I notice that almost all lines has a "#" before, so, do I need to remove it on every lines right?

Thanks again!

For answer about the 4k, I didn't record at 4k on Xiaomi or Gopro, I recorded at 1920x1080 on both, but rendered it at 3840x2160 (4k) to who has a 4k display can see both on "full hd" (1920x1080) at same time... In fact, removing the black on the screen (top and bottom), it is at 3840x1080 (which is 2 x 1920x1080 side by side)

Sorry about my english, hope you could understand

...you remove "#" before that line you need!!!
some lines are description for that what next line or lines will do!
Resolutions are all blocked from me in that script because i record always in 35mbits, but when you will test you can remove # for resolution line you need not from description.
but you must sse now a better footage without removing everything, sharper, better colour....
the script can change many things you cannot do via app.
The beep is last line and tell you script is ready, so you have a control!

Can't understand why but I have to be doing something wrong...

Removed the # from line 6 and 7 to record 2k 45mbps right?

It made 2 videos splitted in 100MB (+/-) and 1st at 45mbps and 2nd at 28mbps... :(

Card speed problem?

Now I made a little test to see if script is working and it is for sure...
Here I didn't remove any #, just putted on the card and turned it on.

Can I use the app to change from 1080P 30fps to 2k for example and the script is used after change?
Is necessary to put the camera in 1080p 30fps everytime I want to turn it on using the script?
Sorry for so much questions but we have to start from anywhere...

Thanks

you can use every resolution you want and set by app. The resolution not adjustable via app you have to load by script!
so you can change via app and the resolution you load via script is overwrited but the other things you loaded via script are still set. everytime you start all commands will execute, otherwise you do not want loading rename or delete it or set an # before line you do not like.
Filesplitting problem when microsd is to slow!!!
use an u3 card.

Back