Z50 utter garbage, or am I missing something?

bgreenstone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just received a DDpai Z50, and this thing is one of the worst dash cameras I've ever tested. I'm hoping someone else out there can confirm what I'm seeing. In particular these issues:

1. There's no "incident" button on the camera to press if you witness something you want saved to permanent storage.
2. There's no parking mode whatsoever. The camera simply shuts itself down after 15 minutes of being parked, and I'm not sure how it determines that - probably the accelerometer. However, the camera will not wake up again once you get back in the car and start driving. The only thing that turns it back on is an impact, so you have to flick the camera hard with your finger to make it think you were hit. Or, hitting a big speed bump seems to make it turn on, but just driving off does nothing. Even pressing the power button won't turn it back on because it's a virtual button that requires the camera to be on to work. In other words, it's not even a power button.
3. The audio recording volume is so low you can barely hear anything.
4. The screen never turns off, and cannot be forced off. It simply goes into this ridiculous screensaver mode after a while. In this mode there's an annoying animation of some face smiling at you and making various gestures.
5. Only records 4K at 25 fps.

I could go on, but let's start with those.

I've been checking it out as well. I wouldn't say garbage, tho.

I agree an incident button would be helpful.

I didn't try any parking mode, so I can't speak to that.

I did find that even tho it is 25fps at 4k, it was still super smooth and detailed. Honestly, I was able to see plates better than some of the others I've tested. I put the card into my pc and zoomed in and could read a lot of plates. I felt I got more detailed plates than my Viofo A129 plus duo that I had tested.

I did not like that it doesn't have a mount that you can remove the cam from, so I just put a flat phone magnet on the windshield and put the metal plate on the dashcam. Works great for me.

I do like that the wifi is always on so I can connect without fiddling with the controls.

I wish the on-screen menu had some more options. Maybe firmware updates will add that. Otherwise I can change all settings in the app pretty easily.

Also, I could have sworn there were 3 modes for the screensaver. The smiley face, a clock and off in the settings on the dashcam. I wont be able to test it out again until the weekend.

Ah, you are correct. The screensaver can be changed. Unfortunately, there’s still no way to simply turn the screen off. There’s always something being shown no matter what you choose.

Parking mode is only enabled with the fuse hardwire kit, not accessable while using normal usb cable to 12v socket.
Just received a DDpai Z50, and this thing is one of the worst dash cameras I've ever tested. I'm hoping someone else out there can confirm what I'm seeing. In particular these issues:

1. There's no "incident" button on the camera to press if you witness something you want saved to permanent storage.
2. There's no parking mode whatsoever. The camera simply shuts itself down after 15 minutes of being parked, and I'm not sure how it determines that - probably the accelerometer. However, the camera will not wake up again once you get back in the car and start driving. The only thing that turns it back on is an impact, so you have to flick the camera hard with your finger to make it think you were hit. Or, hitting a big speed bump seems to make it turn on, but just driving off does nothing. Even pressing the power button won't turn it back on because it's a virtual button that requires the camera to be on to work. In other words, it's not even a power button.
3. The audio recording volume is so low you can barely hear anything.
4. The screen never turns off, and cannot be forced off. It simply goes into this ridiculous screensaver mode after a while. In this mode there's an annoying animation of some face smiling at you and making various gestures.
5. Only records 4K at 25 fps.

I could go on, but let's start with those.
Parking mode can only be enabled while using optional fuse hardwire kit, there is no way to use parking mode while connected to usb via 12v lighter socket

Back