Zenfox T3 Triple channel dash cams free test invitation, limited quantity

Can say Vantrue N4 doesn't overheat (with the temperature we live in, haven't experience hot summer days yet). Have one installed on my parent's vehicle. Works flawlessly, not sure about parking mode though since I didn't buy a hardwire kit for it and didn't turn on parking mode features.

So at the very least, the N4 runs without overheating under normal operating conditions. Seems parking mode is more a hibernated that's activated by motion than a true parking mode where low bitrate recording can take place. My assessment seems to be that there's been no real good solution to keep a 2k triple channel camera (2k + 1080 + 1080) properly cooled at this present time?

I suppose this tape helps to add protection and rf shielding to the ribbons connecting to the front and interior cameras, but why is it sandwiched between the CPU and the heatsink block? does it have good or better heat conductivity than heatsink compound alone? I have never seen something similar in the past. Doesn't mean that is wrong but I'm compelled to learn more about it, the pros and cons from someone who has direct knowledge on it's application.
I assume that it is not supposed to be sandwiched between CPU and heatsink!

I think the heatsink is sitting on the EMI shield for the processor (a metal box), the ribbon cables go inside the emi shield, through slots in the side, there will be connectors for them inside the EMI shield, this means that even the ribbon cable connectors are shielded where in most cameras, even if the cables are shielded, the connectors are not. Quite likely needs to be like this to get the internal GPS to work.

In your case it does appear that the end of the ribbon cable shield is misplaced, don't understand why anyone would build it like that. Mine is not like that. Although it does seal up the slot in the side preventing emi getting out.

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance but the item with the red and black wire, is that the supercapacitor? I know this camera doesn't have a battery, so I presume that would be the capacitor? That looks like a data cable ribbon???? Correct me if I am wrong there. And why on god's green earth its mounted under the CPU seems mind boggling? Couldn't that alone be cause the cameras to overheat? I mean it's absorbing the heat generated off the CPU.
Yes, that is the super capacitor.
The cable ribbon is wrapped around with that pewter colored tape, which is a good thing but I just don't understand what it is doing all under the heatsink side to side. Could that be the reason mine is overheating sooner.
I wish I could investigate by disassembling the unit (I'm totally comfortable to the task) but if it breaks in the process, I don't think zenfox would provide me with another test sample.
At some point I may end up doing it if the next fw update is not able to fix mine.

but I just don't understand what it is doing all under the heatsink side to side.
I don't think it matters, because I think the ribbon cable shield is only sitting on top of the EMI shield curtain wall, I think the top of the EMI shield is formed by the aluminium heat sink, not the normal steel lid that you might expect over an SOC, the cable is not stopping the heat traveling from the processor into the finned heatsink, only from the heatsink into the EMI shield curtain wall, which doesn't matter.

I don't think it matters, because I think the ribbon cable shield is only sitting on top of the EMI shield curtain wall, I think the top of the EMI shield is formed by the aluminium heat sink, not the normal steel lid that you might expect over an SOC, the cable is not stopping the heat traveling from the processor into the finned heatsink, only from the heatsink into the EMI shield curtain wall, which doesn't matter.
You could be right, but have you confirmed that is the case? You mentioned earlier that yours don't look the same. Did you take any pictures and would you mind sharing?

You could be right, but have you confirmed that is the case? You mentioned earlier that yours don't look the same. Did you take any pictures and would you mind sharing?
I used the word "think" several times for good reason, no I have not removed the heatsink to check.
Don't think I can take a photo that will help much without removing the heatsink, and I'm not keen to do that.

It is fairly clear that the aluminium heatsink is floating above the curtain wall with a bit of a gap that your cable shield has managed to get into, and there is no sign of a separate metal lid to the EMI box, it is not needed since the heatsink is shaped to fully cover the area enclosed by the curtain walls. I can't see what is supporting the heatsink, or if it is directly on top of the processor. Only thing it is clearly sitting on top of is the memory card slot/case to keep the card cool.

Heatsink only seems to get to 22 degrees C above ambient with 3 channels running, 18 degrees with 2 channels, which is not much more than an A129 Duo, so I'm guessing the cutoff is set a lot lower. If you assume it has a 90 degree limit, 90-22 = 68 degrees C, it is easy for the air inside a car to reach 68 degrees C on a day with 20 degrees C ambient. Maybe the difference is that people are mounting the T3 higher up in hotter air than they do the A129? I know mine is a lot higher...

Another one...
After I noticed recently that the time on my camera was an hour ahead, I tried to correct it using the phone over the Zenfox app and made sure the time zone was set correctly. Once I started driving and the GPS signal latched on, the time jumped an hour ahead again. Next I will set the time again, this time manually using the camera menu and see if the problem persist or is an app bug.

I used the word "think" several times for good reason, no I have not removed the heatsink to check.
Don't think I can take a photo that will help much without removing the heatsink, and I'm not keen to do that.

It is fairly clear that the aluminium heatsink is floating above the curtain wall with a bit of a gap that your cable shield has managed to get into, and there is no sign of a separate metal lid to the EMI box, it is not needed since the heatsink is shaped to fully cover the area enclosed by the curtain walls. I can't see what is supporting the heatsink, or if it is directly on top of the processor. Only thing it is clearly sitting on top of is the memory card slot/case to keep the card cool.

Heatsink only seems to get to 22 degrees C above ambient with 3 channels running, 18 degrees with 2 channels, which is not much more than an A129 Duo, so I'm guessing the cutoff is set a lot lower. If you assume it has a 90 degree limit, 90-22 = 68 degrees C, it is easy for the air inside a car to reach 68 degrees C on a day with 20 degrees C ambient. Maybe the difference is that people are mounting the T3 higher up in hotter air than they do the A129? I know mine is a lot higher...

Here's an image of my cameras and their mounting position: Both cameras are side by side. Viofo A129 Duo is mounted using an Arkon Suction Cup on the front windshield and the T3 is adhered to the glass via the 3M Pad. So both cameras are subjected to about the same amount of sunlight. And the rear cameras are both affixed to the glass via the 3M adhesive.

20200701_094924.jpg

To give Perspective of how this meshes up on a Volvo S60 Window, here's a stock photo. My Cameras are in the Circled Zone.

Untitled.png

Attachments

• 1593627298316.png
    1593627298316.png
    410.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
My Viofo A129 Pro Duo and the Zenfox both set aproximatelly at the same level at the highest point possible, yet I haven't seen the Viofo experiencing any heat related issues and I also understand that both are two different animals...

My Viofo A129 Pro Duo and the Zenfox both set aproximatelly at the same level at the highest point possible, yet I haven't seen the Viofo experiencing any heat related issues and I also understand that both are two different animals...

Correct, but if given the choice between reliable and unreliable, I'll stick to reliable. I would never rip out the Viofo in favor of the T3 given the current circumstances.

Reactions: EGS
Correct, but if given the choice between reliable and unreliable, I'll stick to reliable. I would never rip out the Viofo in favor of the T3 given the current circumstances.
I do agree with that statement as well.

Any idea when the next firmware release will be?
I regret removing my Viofo to test the Zenfox but the reliability at the moment is questionable. There were two close calls on the highway yesterday, when I went check the files they were either missing or corrupt.

I regret removing my Viofo to test the Zenfox but the reliability at the moment is questionable. There were two close calls on the highway yesterday, when I went check the files they were either missing or corrupt.
Did you get the last one? Posted June 24th:

Most of us testing this unit have at least one other dashcam installed. I would suggest you getting your old good Viofo back on it and continue using this one for testing/evaluation... hopefully another fw update is on the way soon.

FWIW, I always have my primary cam system going or a back-up when I do cam testing. I see no sense in trusting an unknown product :cautious: I usually mount my test cams to the upper corner of my windshield on the drivers side so I can better keep an eye on things. I've got a dedicated 5V cable from a dedicated PS there just for this purpose. If it seems good enough it might get moved to the center, but then my test location will get a known good cam placed there just in case.

I've still got a lot of work to do to make my system permanent and finished, but there will always be a dedicated spot for cams under test ready for plug-and-play use.

Phil

Most of us testing this unit have at least one other dashcam installed. I would suggest you getting your old good Viofo back on it and continue using this one for testing/evaluation... hopefully another fw update is on the way soon.

That's an excellent idea! I got too excited. I wanted the same vantage point to maximize vantage point. But you put it very well - should run both in parallel.

Reactions: EGS
FWIW, I always have my primary cam system going or a back-up when I do cam testing. I see no sense in trusting an unknown product :cautious: I usually mount my test cams to the upper corner of my windshield on the drivers side so I can better keep an eye on things. I've got a dedicated 5V cable from a dedicated PS there just for this purpose. If it seems good enough it might get moved to the center, but then my test location will get a known good cam placed there just in case.

I've still got a lot of work to do to make my system permanent and finished, but there will always be a dedicated spot for cams under test ready for plug-and-play use.

Phil
Thanks Phil - that's good advice. Just curious on your setup.
I can picture a suction cup mount in the top corner for testing. But how do you deal with the 3M sticker mounts? Just install and remove as required? What happens when you run out of type for the mount? :p

Reinstall the Viofo. The T3 isn't ready for prime time. Hindsight is 20/20 but it's unwise to remove a known and functioning product in exchange for one that's being put through testing.

Back