fake? or not a fake that is the question

Yes, you are right. But don't worry, that has happened so many people before you, including me. It's not fake per se, but quality is lower than it could be. Here's what you can do, keep this camera a few months and gather knowledge and experience, then buy a good camera to front and put this camera to rear window.

Sabe is right. It is a lower quality version. Does the GPS register if it is not in the car? Perhaps there is some metal interference (the roof) that is causing the GPS issue.

Thanks for the replies guys, The idea of keeping it for the rear is a good idea if it were not for the difference in price between this that the GPS doesn't work on (£60) , And one that didn't have it in the first place (£25).
iI have tried it in a lot of positions in the car and even out of the car but still no GPS satellite lock. The rest of the functions work well and on the whole i'm pleased, But the Gps is what attracted me to the idea in the first place.
it may have to go back unless they refund part of my purchase fee.......i'll not hold my breath though :lol:

Also it seems the ir lights do not come on either. and when you connect it to a pc it says connect to pc, is that automatically done because none of the buttons seem to do anything........or am i being a bit thick ? :D

sheepytoo said:
Thanks for the replies guys, The idea of keeping it for the rear is a good idea if it were not for the difference in price between this that the GPS doesn't work on (£60) , And one that didn't have it in the first place (£25).
iI have tried it in a lot of positions in the car and even out of the car but still no GPS satellite lock. The rest of the functions work well and on the whole i'm pleased, But the Gps is what attracted me to the idea in the first place.
it may have to go back unless they refund part of my purchase fee.......i'll not hold my breath though :lol:

is there anything in the setup menus related to GPS settings? There are plenty of manufacturers of these that offer the same looking model with and without GPS, you may have been supplied the wrong version, it could just be faulty of course

if you're not sure what to look for you could list the menu options here

jokiin said:
sheepytoo said:

is there anything in the setup menus related to GPS settings? There are plenty of manufacturers of these that offer the same looking model with and without GPS, you may have been supplied the wrong version, it could just be faulty of course

hi Jokin, i think its just broken, the GPS symbol shows up on the bottom of the screen but it stays red and never sync's up to any satellites
the menu settings are as follows
Resolution
Loop recording
Motion detection
Powered automatic
Boot delay
Recording
Language
TV system
Auto-time off
Formatting
Time/Date
Time stamp
Auto-shutoff LCD screen
Default settings
Night mode
Light frequency
Acceleration sensor
Firmware version
there is nothing (apart from the satellite icon on screen) about the GPS at all

sheepytoo said:

I haven't played with that model to know if that is typical, to give you an idea the menu options on my camera are as follows

OSD Settings
SHOW SPEED - ON/OFF, default value ON
SPEED LIMIT - NO or selectable from 10KM/H to 130KM/H, default value NO
DATE – shows current time and date (updated once GPS signal is received)
TIME ZONE – select the desired offset (Summer time must be manually selected), default value +10
SHOW DATE - ON/OFF, default value ON
SHOW GPS DATA – ON/OFF, default value ON
GPS DATA FORMAT – selectable view, default view 12.3456
SCREEN TEXT – sample text default NSW ABC123
SHOW USER TEXT – ON/OFF, default value ON
SPEED UNIT – KM/H or MP/H (requires system reset to apply), default value KM/H
ALL OSD – ON/OFF, default value ON

Video Settings
SIZE – 1920x1080, 1440x1080, 1280x720, 848x480, default value 1920x1080
VIDEO QUALITY – Maximum bitrate selectable from 6MB/SEC through to 15MB/SEC, default value 8MB/SEC
EV – Adjustable, from -2 through to +2, default value 0
AUDIO – ON/OFF selectable default for recording ON
WHITE B – Selectable white balance, default value AUTO
CONTRAST – HARD/SOFT/STANDARD, default value STANDARD
SHARPNESS – HARD/SOFT/STANDARD, default value STANDARD
EFFECT – VIVID/MONOCHROME/NEGATIVE/SEPIA/ART, default value OFF
RECYCLE – Recording split point, OFF, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15 minutes, default value 5 mins
DELAY OFF – Time to continue recording after power off, 5, 15 sec, 1, 5 mins, default value 1 min
NIGHT MODE – ON/OFF, default value ON
MOTION DETECT - ON/OFF, default value OFF
G-SENSOR – Sensitivity adjustable from -5 through to +5, default value NORMAL

System Settings
LANGUAGE – ENGLISH, ITALIAN, SPANISH, JAPANESE, RUSSIAN, CHINESE, default value ENGLISH
VOLUME – Adjustable from 0 through to 7, default value 5
VIDEO FLIP – ON/OFF, default value OFF
TV OUT – PAL/NTSC, default value PAL
FORMAT – YES/NO, default value NO
SYS RESET – YES/NO, default value NO
AUTO OFF – Selectable 1/3/5 minutes or OFF, default value 5 mins
LIGHT FREQ – 50Hz/60Hz, default value 50Hz
LCD OFF – Selectable 1 or 3 Minutes or OFF, default value 1 min
VERSION – Shows current firmware version number, current Q20130106

as you can see there are a couple of things in the menu that are related to GPS, speed etc

when you record a file on a cam with GPS you would normally see things like OSD display of speed or GPS position, cams without GPS obviously don't have this so if you don't have anything like that showing up on screen then it may just be without GPS

Here's a screenshot from my cam and you can see GPS co-ordinates, speed etc, http://www.jokiin.com/images/car_dvr_screenshot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yep.....mine is nothing like that..... mores the pity :x
yours seems to be of a far better quality than mine with a lot more options to the setup. :)
back it goes i think, time to spend a bit more next time :)
have you any tips on buying the real thing,what to look out for and what questions to ask ?

sheepytoo said:
yep.....mine is nothing like that..... mores the pity :x
yours seems to be of a far better quality than mine with a lot more options to the setup. :)
back it goes i think, time to spend a bit more next time :)
have you any tips on buying the real thing,what to look out for and what questions to ask ?

if you're not in a rush I'd probably suggesting posting links to anything you're looking at and see what some of the others here thinks before you commit, there's lots of stuff out there

That's a very good idea, and one I think will work for me
Many thank for you help ....... I'll be back :)

Hey Jokiin,can you tell me where you bought that camera and model? that image is perfect!! I bought two gs5000 on ebay and are fake ,I think on ebay they are all fake. Where are the genuine cameras? thank you

Hi jokiin,

Based on that picture you posted, is your camera some sort of DATAKAM G6. The date, time and speed stamp look identical.

baloja said:
Hey Jokiin,can you tell me where you bought that camera and model? that image is perfect!!

it's my own product, appreciate the compliment :) it's not perfect but it's about as best as we can get on the A2 platform

sheepytoo said:
jokiin said:
sheepytoo said:

hi Jokin, i think its just broken, the GPS symbol shows up on the bottom of the screen but it stays red and never sync's up to any satellites
the menu settings are as follows
Resolution
Loop recording
Motion detection
Powered automatic
Boot delay
Recording
Language
TV system
Auto-time off
Formatting
Time/Date
Time stamp
Auto-shutoff LCD screen
Default settings
Night mode
Light frequency
Acceleration sensor
Firmware version

That menu looks just like the fake GS1000 I ordered first. This has the novatech chip and records in mjpeg. These are 720p cameras interpolated to 1080p at 25fps. The ebay seller says that it was the h264 model, but they're not (http://www.ebay.com/itm/200870719662?ss ... 1439.l2649). There are tons of these in the $40 range. I emailed a few sellers and asked them if they can guarantee that their camera comes with h264 compression and none of them were able to do so.

The GS2000 I ordered next (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ambarella-GS200 ... 337da78d9c) is the blue menu version. Quality is pretty good so I can't complain. So I see that there are several in the $40 and $100 range, which means that this model has been compromised with mjpeg and blue menu versions unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
vta1985 said:
. So I see that there are several in the $40 and $100 range, which means that this model has been compromised with mjpeg and blue menu versions unfortunately.

if you see any featured cam selling for $40 I can tell you without looking it's not an Ambarella A2 solution, you couldn't build it for the price let alone sell it and make any profit

you'll see plenty of each model variant available from different sellers and what's inside varies greatly, I'll use the GS1000 cams as an example as it's something I'm very familiar with, in the same looking model there is USD $70 difference in cost (factory cost) between the best possible solution available and the cheapest, outward appearance you couldn't tell which is which, the same scenario applies to just about every model type in the market

I have taken the mount and bracket to pieces having a good look ate the GPS unit, on putting it back together its decided to work
It now shows the speed and records the route track ...YAY, but the route it shows is not only about 170 miles out its also offshore :lol: Anyway to solve this ????

Back