Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

No I didn't either, would be useful to have, as it's so easy to muck up lens when off the car.

AAMOI Did your cam come with a soft storage bag ? my 1st camera did'nt.
didnt get a bag either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Guys, can you help me with these two questions?

First question: there are two eBay sellers for the Mini 0801. One is "eprance" with 736 feedback score and one is "e-prance" with 533. Are these two the same person? If so, how can eBay allow this? Does it make any difference which one I order from?

Second question: I noticed on the eBay auction page for the Mini 0801 that SquareTrade offers 3 years of warranty for only $17.99. Is it worth it to pay the extra for three years of protection? Does the Mini 0801 break a lot? (I have had excellent experience with SquareTrade. My iPad 2 64GB 3G AT&T($800+ when I bought it) broke 11 days before the SquareTrade warranty was about to expire. I called them up to file a claim. Four days later, I received a refurbished iPad 3 as replacement! The refurbished one looked brand new to me. )

Last question: My windshield is heated(factory option). It turns on and off automatically. Not an issue in the summer. But when the outside temp drop below 55 degrees, it's activated. The entire windshield feels warm to the touch.(the manual says it only goes as high as 80 degrees) Any chance this can cause interference to the Mini 0801 dash cam?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Guys, can you help me with these two questions?

First question: there are two eBay sellers for the Mini 0801. One is "eprance" with 736 feedback score and one is "e-prance" with 533. Are these two the same person? If so, how can eBay allow this? Does it make any difference which one I order from?

Second question: I noticed on the eBay auction page for the Mini 0801 that SquareTrade offers 3 years of warranty for only $17.99. Is it worth it to pay the extra for three years of protection? Does the Mini 0801 break a lot? (I have had excellent experience with SquareTrade. My iPad 2 64GB 3G AT&T($800+ when I bought it) broke 11 days before the SquareTrade warranty was about to expire. I called them up to file a claim. Four days later, I received a refurbished iPad 3 as replacement! The refurbished one looked brand new to me. )

Last question: My windshield is heated(factory option). It turns on and off automatically. Not an issue in the summer. But when the outside temp drop below 55 degrees, it's activated. The entire windshield feels warm to the touch.(the manual says it only goes as high as 80 degrees) Any chance this can cause interference to the Mini 0801 dash cam?

Thanks!
that's three questions :p

Thanks!

The link in the dash cam recommendations at DashCamTalk points to e-prance with 736 (your figures reversed?) sales and that's who I'm going to buy from.

On the windshield warming up, depending on where you are in the US, I expect summertime heating from the sun is going to be a bigger issue, probably well over 100F on surfaces, depending where you are. Also your camera isn't in direct contact with the windshield by the time any radiant heat reaches the camera I bet the camera isn't going to be much warmer than cabin air. Your suction cup or double sided tape is going to be stressed more in summer sun than windshield warming. I wouldn't worry about it.

I would say they are all E-Prance, My 2nd camera was ordered from a Ebay seller named cntime2013, and ironically was dispatched from the same company in the UK as my first camera which was bought from E-Prance,(533 feedback one) I suspect they have a few accounts they use, but both E-Prance and cntime2013 delivered them within 8 days, so not bad really.
BTW you can also order through Amazon.

Are all new firmware versions using MOV files? I prefer TS, as TS files play in more devices without re-encoding.(in the Sony Playstaion3 and many Blu-ray players with SD card slots)

Can the 0801 pick up GPS signal without the bracket? I plan to run the tests indoors. I do have a GPS signal repeater. The GPS antenna is on my roof, connected to the GPS repeater in my basement. I use it to run GPS tests on my laptop with built-in GPS.

AFAIK all current new supplies are .mov files. IME fewer devices use .TS, my Humax PVR's use TS, & AYS PS3 too but mp4 is probably the most compatable these days. It's fairly quick and simple to convert anyway. & No... you can run the unit indoors but no GPS without the base attached. You could always purchase a 2nd base. about 15 dollars.

Last edited:
You can't count I made it 4 LOL
You not better. it's actually 6 questions :) i was referring to his first question, second and last btw :)

Thanks!

The heat is not an issue, how is it heated though, if there is some type of element inside the glass that is powered it may impact GPS reception, if this is the case though it would normally be mentioned in the owners manual which section of the screen are not impacted for things like GPS, toll cards etc so you know where to place them

I would advise against using Windows to format the MicroSD card, use the proper SDcard Format program specifically written for these cards.. from here..

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I don't see the option to adjust cluster size via SDFormatter V 4.0.

What does "FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT" ON/OFF mean? I tried both. The end result seems the same.

I picked FORMAT TYPE FULL (Erase) This is on my 32GB Sandisk Class 10 card first.

It took awhile to compete but then the SDFormatter said:
"Memory Card Format complete !
Please remove the Memory Card.
OverWrite FORMAT
Volume Information
-File System : FAT32
-Total Space = 29.7 GB (31,901,503,488 Bytes)
-Cluster size = 32768

Ok, now it's time to let the 0801 record until it's full and then try the auto power on/off a few times to see if it falls over.

If it still fails I guess I'll try the regular Windows format (with 64k cluster size) that worked successfully for nuxator.
(even though it throws up the not optimal error)
EDIT: I have a second 0801 so might as well do this test at the same time!

I really wish I had a copy of 20130913 !!!!!

Procam is one of the factories larger customers for this model, I'd expect they'd get some priority when it comes to getting fixes done for the firmware, they'd also have the largest user base to get feedback from which would no doubt help

Procam is one of the factories larger customers for this model, I'd expect they'd get some priority when it comes to getting fixes done for the firmware, they'd also have the largest user base to get feedback from which would no doubt help

I'm going to give it a try since I want my internal card option back.

"The new firmware FW VER: 20130911 for DVRs Procam CX4 version 2.0 and above
with built-in memory of 8 GB."

"Changes:
1) storage format. MOV instead. TS
2) A higher bit rate recording
3) Optimized algorithm for processing and packaging of video
2) Increased stability of the device
3) Improved quality video at night and during daytime
4) Improved audio recording

lies on the site procam.ru

add file 1 minute 140MBytes, variable bit rate up to 19Mb
removed the inscription Procam."

I only skimmed over these translated forum posts in the past, after reading a bit more, there is a LOT of interesting in depth information here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://videoregforum.ru/threads/procam-cx4.480/page-12&prev=/search?q=20130823+firmware+procam&biw=1355&bih=803
Have a read! Several people say that 16GB cards are stable. (and 32GB in general are not)

Last edited:
I couldn't get either one of my 0801's to take firmware 20130911 (I'm never prompted for the update)
I tried renaming the file to firmware-NO1-SPI-OV2710FLIP-TB15-M8452.bin
(didn't work) I tried multiple microSD cards.

Nuxtor how did you get the firmware to update before when you tried it?

Oh well guess we have to wait for Givoe & eprance to respond after the holiday. I'd really like my DashCam to be a set it and forget operation at some point!

Last edited:
Did the Russians say which brand of 16GB were stable? :)

Yes, but I forgot and don't want to read through it all a second time. (whoops) Have a read and let us know! I'm not going to order any more microSD cards until I try firmware 20130913

Yes, but I forgot and don't want to read through it all a second time. (whoops) Have a read and let us know! I'm not going to order any more microSD cards until I try firmware 20130913

If I'm not mistaken, they said Transcend 16GB MicroSD cards.

I'm going to give it a try since I want my internal card option back.

The new firmware FW VER: 20130911 for DVRs Procam CX4 version 2.0 and above
with built-in memory of 8 GB.

Changes:
1) storage format. MOV instead. TS
2) A higher bit rate recording
3) Optimized algorithm for processing and packaging of video
2) Increased stability of the device
3) Improved quality video at night and during daytime
4) Improved audio recording

lies on the site procam.ru

add file 1 minute 140MBytes, variable bit rate up to 19Mb
removed the inscription Procam.

I only skimmed over these translated forum posts in the past, after reading a bit more, there is a LOT of interesting in depth information here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://videoregforum.ru/threads/procam-cx4.480/page-12&prev=/search?q=20130823+firmware+procam&biw=1355&bih=803
Have a read! Several people say that 16GB cards are stable. (and 32GB in general are not)

I got the Russian 0911 firmware installed! Rename as firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15.bin and try it again. To change to english, open the settings menu, scroll up 4 clicks, hit OK, and scroll down to English.

My camera now comes up with the ProCam CX4 logo instead of the car logo. I'll do some playing around and see what I find out.

I got the Russian 0911 firmware installed! Rename as firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15.bin and try it again. To change to english, open the settings menu, scroll up 4 clicks, hit OK, and scroll down to English.

My camera now comes up with the ProCam CX4 logo instead of the car logo. I'll do some playing around and see what I find out.

That's what it was. (forgot the right name) Renaming the bin to firmware-NO1-SPI-TB15.bin worked!

Ok, time to start all combinations of settings/microSD cards and format cluster size until we find something stable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back