Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

Mikk36 said:
Jazzist said:
Hi Guys,
Do you think this alignment is Ok?
I had to rotate the cam left a bit otherwise that white box was in shot too much.
If I had known I suppose I could have compensated for this by sticking the mount on slightly counter clockwise to make the dash level :(
I suppose it will do the job as is and looks neat with the mount level on the windscreen :oops:
Took some pics of it installed so will add those later to keep thread on topic ;)
Seems to be slightly tilted to the left, otherwise looks good.
Yea the mount is stuck on straight but I had to twist the camera in its mount to aim it away from the microphones, rain, dusk, condensation sensors box.

If I knew the box would be in shot so much before sticking it on I could have stuck the mount on counter clockwise which would have made the dashboard level in the movie (offset the twist), but it still would have been pointing left the same the change would be mainly aesthetic.

I'm minded to leave it as is for now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Swordfish said:
I saw your previous post with photos of your car's interior. I don't think you can mask the Lukas in front of your mirror since the colors don't match anyway. I would look for another way to mount it. Have you tried sticking it on that big grey head, right at the center (what is it, by the way?)?

It would be in the middle of the windshield then.

Jazzist said:
Mikk36 said:
Jazzist said:
Hi Guys,
I had to rotate the cam left a bit otherwise that white box was in shot too much.
If I had known I suppose I could have compensated for this by sticking the mount on slightly counter clockwise to make the dash level :(
I suppose it will do the job as is and looks neat with the mount level on the windscreen :oops:
Took some pics of it installed so will add those later to keep thread on topic ;)
Yea the mount is stuck on straight but I had to twist the camera in its mount to aim it away from the microphones, rain, dusk, condensation sensors box.

If I knew the box would be in shot so much before sticking it on I could have stuck the mount on counter clockwise which would have made the dashboard level in the movie (offset the twist), but it still would have been pointing left the same the change would be mainly aesthetic.

I didn't look at the dasboard anyway. I assumed that the car was parked straight, so I judged the alignment by the garage door.

Mtz said:
I think this is the best you can obtain. Nice job.

enjoy,
Mtz
Thank you, took a couple of hours of messing about to obtain that.

Attached some photos of the install.

Will stick the Lukas ups near the 12v socket sometimes when it arrives :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368368297947.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368368297947.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 599
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368368328052.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368368328052.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 516
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368368348983.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368368348983.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 512
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368368382962.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368368382962.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 498
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368368411417.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368368411417.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 491
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368368430065.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368368430065.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 492
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368368451801.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368368451801.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 493
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368368490199.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368368490199.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 505
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368368527473.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368368527473.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 490
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368368546940.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368368546940.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 490
Swordfish said:
Jazzist said:
Hi Guys,
I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that my dash camera is misaligned, especially if it's that much. :lol: You need to reposition it, because it's too angled to the left. Make the two windscreen squirters your reference in aligning the camera.
This is what mine looks like, after several tries:
8731583384_458925677f_h.jpg
Wish I could do that but it's not possible.
The wide angle FOV is still covering the whole bonnet etc.

Mikk36 said:
Jazzist said:
Mikk36 said:
Jazzist said:
Hi Guys,

I didn't look at the dasboard anyway. I assumed that the car was parked straight, so I judged the alignment by the garage door.

Yea its pointed left to get around the white box.

If I centre the pointing of the camera it is in shot allot and you don't gain info as most of the extra video you get to your right is masked by the box.

Only thing I can think of is a key chain cam stuck to bottom of box or a "smallest DVR" stuck on the windshield under it. Problem is I like the Lukas. Every camera apart from the absolute smallest has to be mounted in the same place so same problem.

I think its good enough?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Swordfish said:
Jazzist said:
Hi Guys,
I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that my dash camera is misaligned, especially if it's that much. :lol: You need to reposition it, because it's too angled to the left. Make the two windscreen squirters your reference in aligning the camera.

Nb isn't this too high, manual says 40% dash in shot to stop image going too dark?

Jazzist said:
Swordfish said:
Jazzist said:
Hi Guys,

Nb isn't this too high, manual says 40% dash in shot to stop image going too dark?

Mine's just perpendicular (not tilted up) so it's fine. Shooting against the light can be a challenge but I'm OK with it overall.
About your setup, the camera is not at all hidden the way it's set up now. Will it make a difference with visibility if you put it at the center?

Sent from my Galaxy Note

Swordfish said:
Mine's just perpendicular (not tilted up) so it's fine. Shooting against the light can be a challenge but I'm OK with it overall.
About your setup, the camera is not at all hidden the way it's set up now. Will it make a difference with visibility if you put it at the center?

Sent from my Galaxy Note
Can't do it, would be in the middle of the windshield, not safe for driving. Only way to put a cam in the middle is to use a keychain cam or "smallest DVR". Isn't that obvious tbh given the light reflecting off the glass from the outside. Can't hide it, no black dots area.

Or the future Mobius.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Mtz said:
Nice, but we can't make an idea about how it is looking. Some picture like the previous one by Milamber will be better.

enjoy,
Mtz

Ahh sorry...

Here is the DR500 mounting from the front of my A3!

null_zps629b3939.jpg

B20RRL said:

That looks really good, nice job.

I just got an LB100 in the mail today, and it has a silver finish on the lens housing. Can anyone recommend an appropriate black paint to make it less conspicuous?

Hardwired said:
B20RRL said:

I just got an LB100 in the mail today, and it has a silver finish on the lens housing. Can anyone recommend an appropriate black paint to make it less conspicuous?

The best solution is to use black colour Plasti Dip.

niko said:
Hardwired said:
B20RRL said:

The best solution is to use black colour Plasti Dip.

You mean this stuff?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plasti-Dip-liqu ... 0968468383

not sure I want to spend over 10 bucks just to change the color

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardwired said:
B20RRL said:

Thanks - the cabling actually goes into the housing of the Auto Wipers/Lights unit and then hardwired into the fuesbox... nice and tidy :)

When I had a DR400 I wrapped it in a Matte Black Wrap. Was a good work around!

I just used a black permanent marker to colour mine. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated area. It doesn't look the greatest but it was what I had and no one really notices it anyways.

Professional finish would be Plasti Dip Spray:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... ay&_sop=15

Cheapest solution ( as "flank" suggested ) is permanent marker. If it's used on a silver coating ( like lens rings ) then you need to apply few coats for good finish, but some time marker will not match dash cam housing colour 100%. Overall it will do the job.

DVR207
Honda Odyssey
Typical placement. Very easy car to snake a power cord.
I agree with others, the mount could be more compact, but it does hold the camera very firmly.
From outside, it's pretty hidden with the light reflecting off the windscreen.

8736525286_3780e2cb8e_z.jpg

I am about to install (ITB 100HD in Audi Q5). I can see that most cams here have been put behind the wing mirror. I am inclined to put it right at the top of the window (less wires dangling down) but that's in a part of the glass which is slightly shaded. Does anyone know if I am going to regret that because that slight shading is going to reduce the quality of the recording?

Back