Xiaomi Action Cam...

If you're worried about permissions and your phone is rooted (as all Androids should be) download App Ops which will allow you to control permissions. If an app hasn't certain permission you don't like, like Location, just turn it off. Google built it into all Android phones and in the newer versions has hidden it. With root you can access it again.

Well someone asked a while ago, about the case....Here it is.

But... 30$ on pre-sale. For SJ4000 case was like 9$!!!

I knew it they will try to make money on gear instead of the camera itself.case.png

I am wondering how hard would it be to apply a carbon film to this cam?
I've applied carbon films to many things, using a heat gun on the film and then applying the film.

And then a couple of videos of using the cam with a Mobius suction screen mount in 1080p 60fps mode - these were shot with metering mode set to centre and they seem very dark

Awesome quality in the day time. Are there raw files of the night shot posted on this thread?

I am a bit disappointed with video quality and birthrate. Definetely not a GoPro killer as they said. It will rather kill itself with failing to reach expectations.
It also weights more then sj4000 and overheats though they said camera has some over-heating protection, cam quickly became hot, after 30 min of continuous shooting.

Do u still think its not as good as the GoPro 3 black?

Here's some footage showing the Yi next to a Lukas dashcam - you can see the Yi records nice enough looking video but the proper dashcam is much more tuned for things like numberplate capture etc.

You can see the Lukas at first glance oversaturates the image but when you look closely you'll see the Lukas makes all the details such as numberplates pop and it is sharpened up much more (surprisingly the Xiaomi Yi doesn't seem to suffer from oversharpening like a lot of Ambarella based cameras).

For this one I'd changed the camera to use centre meter mode as opposed to average and with the way the camera was pointing it looks like it was focussing on making those clouds look lovely :)

It was pretty hard to get them both in the same direction as neither had screens so it's rough and ready but shows the benefits of using a dashcam which is tuned for details.

In all fairness this also shows that if you wanted too you could use the Yi for a dashcam but don't rely on it as you're bound to forget to start recording the day something happens (sods law!)

@GJHS also has some footage with the Yi being used as a dashcam in this thread:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/xiaomi-yi-vs-sjcam-sj4000.10439/

Definately the lukas look good in this comparision video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Anyone have this problem? like a helicopter noise

This happens when the wifi is on

Cheers

Here is a reply from Xiaomi about the local storage :
Thanks for your inquiry. The local photos and videos link that you see on MY PROFILE in your Yi App is a compilation of all your photos and videos that are synced to your Mi Account. Here is a link for your reference and more information about the Yi Camera: http://en.miui.com/thread-93465-1-1.html"

Has anyone else noticed that with 1.0 version of an APP it was much quicker to connect your cam and phone?
With 1.3 App version, it takes me few tries before camera connects... Really annoying.

Back in 2006 i used a samsung pocket cam to record onbord footage when i was driving my 660 ccm yamaha quad, after a fjew times the camera had a permanent wierd background noise. :rolleyes:
And not forgetting the automatic zoom lens now have to be assisted in opening and shutting down ;) do nothing to help it and the camera shut down with what i assume is overload on the motor trying to work the lens.

Hi,

I really need your help. A few days ago I bought Yi Sports Camera - Color: White. On first use, I found that the camera at a distance greater than 90 cm can’t focus and video or photos are quite blur. I tried to change the settings using the phone. Then I tried to update the firmware to a newer version, but the change was again without result. So I think that the problem is with the hardware. Do you know what it may be due?

here is a photo :(
rVQZ3p.jpg

I've got the same issue with mine, and found another guy on youtube with the same issue (focus set incorrectly at manufacturing). Pretty bad QA if there are lots of cases like this.

I think you have to open the front panel and turn the lens to focus it to infinity, gonna try on mine tomorrow.

Thank you guys for trying to help me. When you fix the camera Jessej, so let us know...

Interesting Jokiin, would have thought it's done by machines - but then again I haven't seen the inside of a Chinese factory where they make these things!

I just adjusted mine, it's pretty quick, 5-10 minute job. Just use something thin to pry open the front panel (I used tweezers), once you've pulled the front out you can see the lens. I used pliers to turn the lens clockwise a bit. Obviously turning from the metal sides of the lens, not touching the glass.

It's pretty hard to check focus on the live wifi view so I took a couple of shots of the horizon, checked those on the computer, zooming in to verify focus. If it's not still focused keep turning the lens a bit more until it's right.

The jpeg compression is fairly evident when zooming in - wonder if there is a setting anywhere to adjust the jpeg quality?

Back