Xiaomi Action Cam...

The lens rectification on the Yi is a very weird old setting indeed.

I'd assumed it was dewarp, but it's a dewarp unlike any I've seen before - it not only makes the video like some weird old fairground mirror but it also applies the dewarp effect to the time and date stamp!!

vlcsnap-2015-03-24-20h24m13s187.jpg vlcsnap-2015-03-24-20h24m26s214.jpg

And then a couple of videos of using the cam with a Mobius suction screen mount in 1080p 60fps mode - these were shot with metering mode set to centre and they seem very dark

Yeah but it seem to do a allright job with the sky ( compared to the lukas )

The lens rectification on the Yi is a very weird old setting indeed.

I'd assumed it was dewarp, but it's a dewarp unlike any I've seen before - it not only makes the video like some weird old fairground mirror but it also applies the dewarp effect to the time and date stamp!!

View attachment 12045 View attachment 12046

they've stuffed up in the coding somewhere

Last edited:
Just got mine. Will preform some testing as well.

But for now, can someone give me a link to an App on Google Play?

I am using pretty modest phone, so my camera is unable to focus on the code :O

Edit : found one here http://sports.xiaoyi.com/app/sports_camera.apk
but not sure if its the one, since I read about some app-firmware issues. But I guess it is.

Edit 2 : Found it guys, never mind.

Last edited:
I am a bit disappointed with video quality and birthrate. Definetely not a GoPro killer as they said. It will rather kill itself with failing to reach expectations.
It also weights more then sj4000 and overheats though they said camera has some over-heating protection, cam quickly became hot, after 30 min of continuous shooting.

Mine gets hot but it's never crashed - not even running for 90 minutes shooting 30Mbps video.

The 1080p 60fps video is 25Mbps though which I didn't think was bad for a factory firmware?

possible to push bitrate beyond 30mbps?

heat is less of an issue for these types of cameras as they typically don't get run for extended periods

I do not care about heat as long as it does not burn my apartment down :)

I know Sony SLRs have heat detectors which automatically turn off the device when the temperature is beyond recommended. It can be annoying if you are recording in a desert, but safety first.

I am unable to test this myself, but I was wondering have you guys saw LOCAL PHOTOS AND VIDEOS option inside the Yi App?
When you enter an app, it is located in MY PROFILE which is in top right corner.

Once I entered LOCAL PHOTOS AND VIDEOS I saw some photos I have taken with my YI.

Funny thing, none of these photos was on my SD card anymore.

Could it be possible that they are doing a SERIOUS breach on privacy????

I have not seen an option for disabling this! I assume this will show photos that Xiaomi stores on their cloud? Without asking you to do it?

I hope I am wrong with this early assumption , but those of you who have YI App please go and check out and the LOCAL PHOTOS AND VIDEOS in My Profile.

NOTE : I never logged in or signed in for any such Xiaomi Service.
NOTE2: Maybe they are storing photos in their CLOUD, which I of course never approved. This sort of things should be ASKED by app, and not just DONE?

Oh. Oh, lets hope this is not true, otherwise, I see lawsuits coming.

Last edited:
This is getting really weird. They are certainly storing some photos in cloud!

Now the question is : Could it be possible that they are sharing your photos in your LOCAL area???

OR

Are they storing them for you in CLOUD WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION?

Because I am just seeing some of my photos that I never downloaded or anything on LOCAL PHOTOS AND VIDEOS in App.

I have sent an email to Xiaomi about this privacy issue. Will let you guys know when they reply what this cloud thing does exactly.

Also if anyone has 2 YI cameras I would appreciate if you can test and see if you can see photo in app from both.

So so I just tested it and at first I had nothing under Local photos and videos - I just connected to my camera and downloaded a photo and it now shows under there.

I think "Local photos and videos" means exactly that - it's pictures you have taken on the camera and downloaded to your Android device?

I think "Local photos and videos" means exactly that - it's pictures you have taken on the camera and downloaded to your Android device?
I also thought that might be the local storing, however strange thing happened that the photo I havent downloaded appeared there :O
I will repeat the test again, but something strange is happening. I am using 1.0.7.

OK I've just looked further and I have a DCIM\SportsCamera folder on my phone in the home directory, and basically what is in there is what the Yi app shows under "Local photos and videos" - is that the same on yours?

@reverend you are a mastermind. Exactly. As you explained, it seams that all photos in that Sports Camera folder appear in Local Host.
I do not know how they got there, since I have taken shoots and not used download, but its important its not a privacy breach as I first said (stupid me).

Back