Best 1 channel dashcams?

For the most lipos are no good, at least if you have the camera in the car all the time like i have.
The operating temperature envelope for lipos get busted many days thru the year even as far north as Denmark is, and in winter it can allso drop to a problematic low temperature, though with out geological placement its rare for those really nasty cold days.
I think this winter we dident even get minus 2 digit temperatures, and if we did it was 3-4-5 days at most.
Last summer was good here with about 2 weeks of +30 deg C temperatures, and another 2-3-4 weeks with +25 deg C temperatures.
And those outside tempeartures is enuff for a car to reach lipo killing temperatures inside the car.

Allso if you wish to use features as parking guard where the camera is allways powered, capasitors is a must as lipos are not meant for constant charging, and not least a running warm camera in a even warmer sun baked car will cook the lipos.

My dataplan is 6 Gb a month, but i would never use that to upload anything, if i have captured anything intresting it will just have to wait to i get home to my cable connection before it go to the share sites.
On a normal month i think i use 1 Gb, but so small dataplans is not to be found here, anyway i hate that phone and cant wait untill i can trow it avay and be phoneless again.

I say, it would be a good idea to offer dashcams with LiPo and with Caps, depending on customer choice. :) my2c

Can't see how that would be economically viable for any manufacturer ...

No news on that yet?
Also I have a wild question: do you think it would be possible/safe to swap out capacitors in the Street Guardian to a LiPo? (I know this is not what you'd expect, but I do kind of need some time with the cam outside the vehicle)

Edit: Yeah that was non recording timeout setting, not recording after engine off. (confirmed on YT vid)

yeah it has since been adjusted, it was a mistake in the video

it won't run on batteries, you could plug a USB power bank into it and run from that but that seems very clumsy and not practical at all

For the most lipos are no good, at least if you have the camera in the car all the time like i have.
The operating temperature envelope for lipos get busted many days thru the year even as far north as Denmark is, and in winter it can allso drop to a problematic low temperature, though with out geological placement its rare for those really nasty cold days.
I think this winter we dident even get minus 2 digit temperatures, and if we did it was 3-4-5 days at most.
Last summer was good here with about 2 weeks of +30 deg C temperatures, and another 2-3-4 weeks with +25 deg C temperatures.
And those outside tempeartures is enuff for a car to reach lipo killing temperatures inside the car.

Allso if you wish to use features as parking guard where the camera is allways powered, capasitors is a must as lipos are not meant for constant charging, and not least a running warm camera in a even warmer sun baked car will cook the lipos.

My dataplan is 6 Gb a month, but i would never use that to upload anything, if i have captured anything intresting it will just have to wait to i get home to my cable connection before it go to the share sites.
On a normal month i think i use 1 Gb, but so small dataplans is not to be found here, anyway i hate that phone and cant wait untill i can trow it avay and be phoneless again.

You really should try a brand name quality LiPo before condemning them all. Have you tried quality ones in the past and they failed on you? I also have high heat here during summer in Canada, camera(s) left in car to extremes, the quality LiPo's are 100% fine still.

Note that a LiPo is not always charging when it's always recording or in parking mode. I sometimes run my LiPo camera for 24/7 and never have issues, no decrease in power.

For many people going with Caps is shooting themselves in the foot, removing ANY option to record on internal power. Kind of silly IMO. Of course caps are nice for permanent installs where you really don't care about internal power recording, they are more reliable yes (good caps).

Can't see how that would be economically viable for any manufacturer ...
Not sure, it's hard to say without running a camera manufacturing business. I think it would be totally viable if there were enough customers from both sides, LiPo and Cap. Probably wouldn't be because most LiPos shipped to date in dashcams were the cheapest stuff in the world and constantly failing. So everyone is avoiding them like the plague. AFAIK

True there is quality differences in lipo batteries, at least in the ones i use for mt RC gear.
Same goes for capasitors, remember the low quality ones used on some motherbords.And if my memory serve me right caps was also the culprit in the samsung TVs that died too early at one time.

True there is quality differences in lipo batteries, at least in the ones i use for mt RC gear.
Same goes for capasitors, remember the low quality ones used on some motherbords.And if my memory serve me right caps was also the culprit in the samsung TVs that died too early at one time.
Yeah I remember those faulty caps. I fixed quite a few motherboards/power supplies/calculators etc with them in. Was such a massive loss to society. Some of the LiPo's which are no name in dashcams are exactly like those old defective caps.

Back