C lens going out of focus?

So it's official, lens C was a stinker and lens C2 is born. This is getting confusing...!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32087306&postcount=2952
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32088775&postcount=15943
Wonder if stockists will accept warranty claims on C lenses to swap for C2?
The lens C is an excellent lens but there were major manufacturing problems where it was very difficult to obtain the quality expected.
Yes, there were heat related focus shift problems with some lenses, but these were only noticed under certain conditions in the dashcam world. For the great majority of users this was never of concern.
@jokiin Yes, the focus shift problem should be corrected.
I have posted a full report about the new C2 lens here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the focus shift problem should be corrected.

I take this to mean that the Developer is aware of the problem, & that the new C2 lens has been thoroughly tested & found to be immune from heat-related focus shift. In which case it's great news.

I take this to mean that the Developer is aware of the problem, & that the new C2 lens has been thoroughly tested & found to be immune from heat-related focus shift. In which case it's great news.
Yes, the developer is fully aware of the problems reported earlier in these forums and the C2 should be immune to heat-related focus shift.
The developer personally monitors these threads in order to get the information first hand.

I will wait for someone to buy it and test it before I make a decision about new purchase.

Also, has lens holder been upgraded again?

Yes, the developer is fully aware of the problems reported earlier in these forums and the C2 should be immune to heat-related focus shift.
The developer personally monitors these threads in order to get the information first hand.

Excellent. I think that confidence in the suitability of Mobius for dashcam use took a knock with the introduction of the fibre reinforced plastic lens housing, & the associated focus drift concerns.

Recently I've hesitated to recommend Mobius at https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/what-should-i-buy.71/ because of doubts about lens focus. I understand why @Johny prefers to wait until reports start filtering-in that all is ok, before he parts with his cash.

Excellent. I think that confidence in the suitability of Mobius for dashcam use took a knock with the introduction of the fibre reinforced plastic lens housing, & the associated focus drift concerns.

Recently I've hesitated to recommend Mobius at https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/what-should-i-buy.71/ because of doubts about lens focus. I understand why @Johny prefers to wait until reports start filtering-in that all is ok, before he parts with his cash.
I took delivery of the Innovv C2 yesterday and I'll check if it is free from heat related focus shift once the weather on weekends permits. If the Mobius with the new C2 lens is found to have a solid focus, I will probably buy it as a second camera (without implying a ranking order between the two).

Note that C2 has two meanings now...

They should just name it B2 or E lens. Anyone knows what material it will made from. Regular C lens doesn't seem to be 5 or 6 layer glass.

Regular C lens doesn't seem to be 5 or 6 layer glass.

What makes you say that? There would be no way to tell unless you dismantled the lens barrel and examined the elements. The number of optical elements in a lens doesn't determine the quality of the image it can produce BTW, so however many elements are actually used in the Mobius C lens is irrelevant. It happens to be an extremely well corrected, high quality optic.

just reporting that my B lens was out of focus overtime as dashcam. had it for like a year. i thought it went bad so I bought the new mobius with c2 lens 6 months ago. now it's experiencing similar out of focus issue. I guess due to heat. it's summer now and the car get extremely hot after a day parked under the sun. it's hard for me to fix the focus. webcam mode doesn't work on my MacBook ever. i was adjusting the focus the hard way which record, inspect, adjust and repeat.

I'm tempted to buy the A lens mobius now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

just reporting that my B lens was out of focus overtime as dashcam. had it for like a year. i thought it went bad so I bought the new mobius with c2 lens 6 months ago. now it's experiencing similar out of focus issue. I guess due to heat. it's summer now and the car get extremely hot after a day parked under the sun. it's hard for me to fix the focus. webcam mode doesn't work on my MacBook ever. i was adjusting the focus the hard way which record, inspect, adjust and repeat.

I'm tempted to buy the A lens mobius now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Are you using Quicktime Player for webcam mode with the Mobius on your Macbook?

I tried QT player & photo booth, both don't work. I'm on El Capitan 10.11

For some reason, I've never ever had any luck getting a Mobius to mount as a web cam in Photo Booth (although the software can see the camera) but I never have any problem mounting a Mobius as a web cam in Quicktime Player.

I'll assume you know the proper technique for using the Mobius as a web cam in QuickTime Player. Maybe it is yet another thing broken by El Capitan which I have avoided so far after hearing so many issues and complaints.

Mobius mounted into QuickTime Player:
webcam.jpg

For some reason, I've never ever had any luck getting a Mobius to mount as a web cam in Photo Booth (although the software can see the camera) but I never have any problem mounting a Mobius as a web cam in Quicktime Player.

I'll assume you know the proper technique for using the Mobius as a web cam in QuickTime Player. Maybe it is yet another thing broken by El Capitan which I have avoided so far after hearing so many issues and complaints.

Mobius mounted into QuickTime Player:
View attachment 24104

I tried what you have in the screenshot.
If I select H264 in the mobius, QT freezes when I pick the Mobius as source.
If I select MJPEG in the mobius, QT doesn't have Mobius as option in the source.

I believe El Capitan broke it but it wasn't working for me in Yosemite either.

I tried what you have in the screenshot.
If I select H264 in the mobius, QT freezes when I pick the Mobius as source.
If I select MJPEG in the mobius, QT doesn't have Mobius as option in the source.

I believe El Capitan broke it but it wasn't working for me in Yosemite either.

Sounds like yet another El Capitan bummer.

Certain Macs had an issue with some older NVIDIA graphics cards that did stuff like that. It wasn't the cards actually it was that the graphics card need a firmware update for compatibility with new Mac OS versions after Snow Leopard but that was never gonna happen. Do you have an older Mac?

BTW, one thing you might try for re-focusing your Mobius is to use the AV cable and plug the camera into an HDTV. Not the best of all possible worlds, but it works.

BTW, one thing you might try for re-focusing your Mobius is to use the AV cable and plug the camera into an HDTV. Not the best of all possible worlds, but it works.

This is a good idea. I'm going to try this.

Sounds like yet another El Capitan bummer.

Certain Macs had an issue with some older NVIDIA graphics cards that did stuff like that. It wasn't the cards actually it was that the graphics card need a firmware update for compatibility with new Mac OS versions after Snow Leopard but that was never gonna happen. Do you have an older Mac?

I have late 2011 macbook pro 13" with intel graphic.

Back