Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

This is definitely a different Mobius than the one described on the front page of this website.
I take that in a positive sense.
A product that is never revised shows a total lack of manufacturer's interest which results in low sales. Look at the competition. About half a year or so of activity and then no more hardware changes. Firmware revisions after the first year are very rare or obsolete. A typical pattern.
As we all know, the Mobius is constantly undergoing changes, most of which are never even noticed. Lot's of small things like component placement or reinforced parts to avoid damage by clumsy fingers, better ribbon cables, revised design for more stability. Larger things like over-voltage protection have also been added.
And, of course, the firmware has many, many more features than the original Mobius.
Yes, the C lens was an unfortunate mishap but not all were affected the same way and many thousands of users have never had a problem. The revised holder is a very positive development and not only provides a much stronger ribbon connection but also offers the possibility to add a 90° lens module. The actual lens (glass part) of all the lenses is of outstanding quality not met by the competition. The lens is not glued into place like most, if not all, of the competition and the base and lens are not made of cheap plastic, again like most, if not all, of the competition.
You won't find any other camera of this size on the market that have gone thru so many changes from an initially really well designed camera to an excellent designed camera which, firmware-wise, is fully compatible to the original version.

Totally agree with your statement. Just wanted to make sure that people are able to see these changes in a quick glance vs reading all the topics mixed together in this thread.

Guys how can I update date and time on a Mobius with no lens module fitted? When I connect to PC using cable the camera is not seen because it won't boot without a lens module fitted.

The reason I have no lens in it is the lens is fixed to the back of my rearview mirror in the car and I use a 20cm extension cable. When I take the camera out of the car I leave the lens in place as unmounting it would not be easy.

Guys how can I update date and time on a Mobius with no lens module fitted? When I connect to PC using cable the camera is not seen because it won't boot without a lens module fitted.

The reason I have no lens in it is the lens is fixed to the back of my rearview mirror in the car and I use a 20cm extension cable. When I take the camera out of the car I leave the lens in place as unmounting it would not be easy.
The only way is to automatically generate a SYSCFG.TXT file while the camera is connected to the lens.

1. Make sure the camera is turned off but connected to USB power if you are using a supercap.
  2. Press the Mode button and keep HOLDING it.
  3. Press the Power button and also keep HOLDING it.
  4. After about 6 seconds the red LED will blink and the camera turns off.
  5. Release the Mode and Power button.
Now
  • Remove the card and place it in a card reader.
  • Edit the SYSCFG.TXT file, second line (Date time=) with your PC.
  • Advance the time to about 3 minutes ahead.
  • Save the file.
  • Insert the card into your camera.
  • About 2 or 3 seconds BEFORE the time you entered, repeat steps 1 to 5 and the time should be aprox. correct.

The only way you can obtain a highly accurate time is to use mSetup, but for that, you'll need the lens connected.
The Android app should also set the time accurately, but I haven't tested it and it would most likely not work if you have a supercap installed.

Totally agree with your statement. Just wanted to make sure that people are able to see these changes in a quick glance vs reading all the topics mixed together in this thread.

I agree that the Mobius description could use a long overdue update, especially on the Dash Cam Comparison page but also the first posts of this thread could do with some updating as well. (wink wink, hint, hint, @GJHS :D)

The camera being described is really no longer the camera being sold. For example, there is no mention of the newly designed case, (with new buttons, LED window and module slots), the new FRP lens modules (including the 90 degree orientation option), the availability of the B and C lens focal lengths (or C2 update).....or the easy to install super-capacitor module. The outdated description states, "Apparently, there are plans to introduce a wide angle lens in the near future". The page goes on to state, "Apparently, the manufacturer is looking at replacing the internal battery with a capacitor to allow for higher operating temperatures." There is no mention of the v2 or v3 hardware updates to the PCB which introduced improvements such as over-voltage protection. Finally, the description page lists the internal battery as having a capacity of 500mAh (which is slightly incorrect - is 520mAh) but there is no mention of the new higher capacity 840mAh battery the camera is now shipped with.

Although most of the firmware updates are listed, there is no mention of the new features or dramatic improvements these firmware updates have brought us which in some cases have been significant and go beyond what we often see in typical dash cam firmware updates. In fact, the outdated information is rather misleading in certain ways because ignoring the accomplishments achieved by the newer firmware, especially in concert with the newer lenses makes the camera seem less capable that it has now become. We have new features like time lapse, standby motion detection and advanced exposure, sharpness and color balance controls (not seen in any other camera) and the overall performance of the Mobius has been much improved since it was introduced.

The listing of "Known Problems" is no longer correct. Some of the described issues have been remedied long ago and newer problems such as the focus issues with the FRP modules are not mentioned. (Of course, it would need to mention the new modules in the first place before it can discuss any problems they might have.)

The photos of the internals and externals of the Mobius are pretty out of date as well.

All the new features and tweaks to the mSetup GUI could stand a mention too!

Finally, the Mobius Manual available through the link on the Mobius Dash Cam Comparison comparison page is a very outdated version from August 13, 2013. The latest version is dated February 5, 2015.

We Mobius enthusiasts need to gather late at night with torches and pitchforks in front of @DashCamMan's house and demand an update to the Mobius description page! :D

Last edited:

Do you own a laptop computer? Perhaps you have a friend with one? Just do an update in your vehicle.

The only way is to automatically generate a SYSCFG.TXT file while the camera is connected to the lens.
  1. Make sure the camera is turned off but connected to USB power if you are using a supercap.
  2. Press the Mode button and keep HOLDING it.
  3. Press the Power button and also keep HOLDING it.
  4. After about 6 seconds the red LED will blink and the camera turns off.
  5. Release the Mode and Power button.

Thanks for your super helpful reply Isoprop, I followed this procedure and although it looks complex written down, it was actually super simple. I deviated slightly because I cheekily tried the first step with my camera without lens module connected (contrary to your bold text above) and this worked. So it's really the perfect method for someone who wants to leave their lens in the car. Alternatively I could've taken my laptop to the car, but let's not make things too easy...!! :)

Do you own a laptop computer? Perhaps you have a friend with one? Just do an update in your vehicle.

Thanks Dash, I do have a lappy and agree that would probably be the sensible approach, but I didn't fancy my neighbours seeing me juggling a laptop in the car in our shared car park. Looks a bit weird I suppose :)

Thanks Dash, I do have a lappy and agree that would probably be the sensible approach, but I didn't fancy my neighbours seeing me juggling a laptop in the car in our shared car park. Looks a bit weird I suppose :)

These days I don't believe using a laptop computer in one's vehicle would seem especially weird to anyone but as long as you can fix your problem, that's what counts. :)

Thanks for your super helpful reply Isoprop, I followed this procedure and although it looks complex written down, it was actually super simple. I deviated slightly because I cheekily tried the first step with my camera without lens module connected (contrary to your bold text above) and this worked. So it's really the perfect method for someone who wants to leave their lens in the car. Alternatively I could've taken my laptop to the car, but let's not make things too easy...!! :)
That's a new one to me too!! Something I have never checked - why should I? ;)
I guess this "feature" you discovered (yes, you are the first I believe) makes the Mobius even more user-friendly now!
I agree, the key sequence is very simple. There is also another method but it's not so easy to remember so I won't post it only to confuse people.

Last edited:
I agree that the Mobius description could use a long overdue update, especially on the Dash Cam Comparison page but also the first posts of this thread could due with some updating as well. (wink wink, hint, hint, @GJHS :D)

The camera being described is really no longer the camera being sold. For example, there is no mention of the newly designed case, (with new buttons, LED window and module slots), the new FRP lens modules (including the 90 degree orientation option), the availability of the B and C lens focal lengths (or C2 update).....or the easy to install super-capacitor module. The outdated description states, "Apparently, there are plans to introduce a wide angle lens in the near future". There is no mention of the v2 or v3 hardware updates to the PCB. The page goes on to state, "Apparently, the manufacturer is looking at replacing the internal battery with a capacitor to allow for higher operating temperatures." Finally, the description page lists the internal battery as having a capacity of 500mAh (which is slightly incorrect - is 520mAh) but there is no mention of the new higher capacity 840mAh battery the camera is now shipped with.

Although most of the firmware updates are listed, there is no mention of the new features or dramatic improvements these firmware updates have brought us which in some cases have been significant and go beyond what we often see in typical dash cam firmware updates. In fact, the outdated information is rather misleading in certain ways because ignoring the accomplishments achieved by the newer firmware, especially in concert with the newer lenses makes the camera seem less capable that it has now become. We have new features like time lapse, standby motion detection and advanced exposure controls (not seen in any other camera) and the overall performance of the Mobius has been much improved since it was introduced.

The listing of "Known Problems" is no longer correct. Some of the described issues have been remedied long ago and newer problems such as the focus issues with the FRP modules are not mentioned. (Of course, it would need to mention the new modules in the first place before it can discuss any problems they might have.)

The photos of the internals and externals of the Mobius are pretty out of date as well.

All the new features and tweaks to the mSetup GUI could stand a mention too!

Finally, the Mobius Manual available through the link on the Mobius Dash Cam Comparison comparison page is a very outdated version from August 13, 2013. The latest version is dated February 5, 2015.

We Mobius enthusiasts need to gather late at night with torches and pitchforks in front of DashCamMan's house and demand an update to the Mobius description page! :D
You've come up with a lot of valid points.

I don't know the link to an out-dated Mobius Manual, but that is one reason that links should always go to the original site. I explicitly forbid links to mSetup which don't point to the original page/zip.
I keep my main pages on RCGroups updated as best as possible, but it's a tough job and I believe one or two screen shots are not the latest. My download website is always being updated because I often have to update the translation info. The current manual is a wee bit outdated with the current version only on my PC :)

But yes, I agree, the Mobius has certainly matured greatly since it was first introduced just over 2 years ago and it's feature-rich parameters can't be found in any other similar camera. As you mention, over 2 hours recording with the 840mAh battery makes you wonder why the competition haven't adapted it - but then it would need a small hardware modification, unless you want to wait hours for the battery to charge....
Over-volt protection was specially added for the dash-cam folks, BTW, but I think you knew that already.

You've come up with a lot of valid points.

I don't know the link to an out-dated Mobius Manual, but that is one reason that links should always go to the original site. I explicitly forbid links to mSetup which don't point to the original page/zip.
I keep my main pages on RCGroups updated as best as possible, but it's a tough job and I believe one or two screen shots are not the latest. My download website is always being updated because I often have to update the translation info. The current manual is a wee bit outdated with the current version only on my PC :)

But yes, I agree, the Mobius has certainly matured greatly since it was first introduced just over 2 years ago and it's feature-rich parameters can't be found in any other similar camera. As you mention, over 2 hours recording with the 840mAh battery makes you wonder why the competition haven't adapted it - but then it would need a small hardware modification, unless you want to wait hours for the battery to charge....
Over-volt protection was specially added for the dash-cam folks, BTW, but I think you knew that already.

Thanks. I agree it's not easy to keep things updated all the time but I think you do a good job of it on RCGroups and here. It's much appreciated by all.

Yes, most camera models seem to fade away eventually but the Mobius just keeps evolving and improving, The developer seems to have squeezed the absolute maximum performance and capability out of the current hardware. Hope to see the same in an eventual next generation. And yes, I am aware of the over-voltage protection added to the PCB. In fact, I went back and edited my post to add that (along with a few other things I thought of) only minutes before you posted these comments. I wonder if there's still something I've forgotten? :)......Anyway, the more I added to my post, the more I realized how my remark that, "The camera being described is really no longer the camera being sold" was even more true than I thought it was when I started writing.

If only mobius would go back to a metal lens mount again. I was all set to buy more than one mobius until this came up. The updated cable should be able to work on metal as well as FRP. Losing focus because of inferior material is unacceptable. When Jokiin said he found that only a metal base would give consistent good results while other materials suffered from heat distortion I decided not to buy anything without the necessary lens parts being made of metal.

If only mobius would go back to a metal lens mount again. I was all set to buy more than one mobius until this came up. The updated cable should be able to work on metal as well as FRP. Losing focus because of inferior material is unacceptable. When Jokiin said he found that only a metal base would give consistent good results while other materials suffered from heat distortion I decided not to buy anything without the necessary lens parts being made of metal.

I agree with you, and using metal for the housing means that a magnetic CPL could be attached if the diameter was adjusted to fit a generic off the shelf CPL. Am sure I read somewhere that the FRP base costs more than the metal version, so why make the change if it affects focusing issues however small they are.

So bring back the metal lens enclosure and modify it to take a standard circular polarising lens filter.

I agree with you, and using metal for the housing means that a magnetic CPL could be attached if the diameter was adjusted to fit a generic off the shelf CPL. Am sure I read somewhere that the FRP base costs more than the metal version, so why make the change if it affects focusing issues however small they are.

So bring back the metal lens enclosure and modify it to take a standard circular polarising lens filter.

I'm afraid that the notion having a metal lens on the Mobius for the purpose of using a magnetic CPL is just a fantasy as all the bezels on the Mobius lenses since the beginning have been aluminum. As the primary market for the Mobius was, is and will probably continue to be the RC market, I suspect the changeover to a FRP module was to cut down on the weight of the lens. A machined ferrous metal lens bezel and threaded barrel would likely be way too heavy for this purpose and would also present problems since carbon steel cannot be anodized like aluminum. Even for the action or dash camera market you probably don't want to make the camera unnecessarily heavy or unbalanced.

Different types of glass formulations containing various chemicals and elements are used in making camera lenses to achieve specific optical properties. Some types of optical glass can be quite heavy and the high quality lenses used in the Mobius seem to be pretty hefty compared to other similar sized M12 lenses used in lesser cameras. While I've never actually weighed the Mobius lenses and compared them with other M12 lenses it might be an interesting thing to do. In any event I think the heavier glass in the Mobius C lens probably contributed to the decision to develop the lighter weight FRP threaded module and lens barrel.

The problem with the sensor back plate has indeed been a serious problem for the Mobius, as we know, but there is no reason to believe that this issue is insurmountable. Obviously a great deal of effort and considerable expense has gone into resolving the focus issues with the FRP module and I believe we all need to give the new C2 lens module a chance to prove itself before dismissing it.

Last edited:
@Isoiprop: Perhaps a sentence or two added to the beginning of post #1 explaining the situation of old information would be adequate. I know what a pain it is to read all the current 97 pages here, but that should help other folks understand until there's time to do a proper post/thread update. We appreciate how much work you put into this :)

As for me, I don't care what materials are used where in the Mobuis so long as it functions well on a reliable basis. Perhaps the GRP lens housing was a mistake, but with the past history of developing this camera I feel sure that any problems will be well sorted out with an aim to not render current owners equipment obsolete in the process if that can be done. It's still one heck of a cam for the money even if it isn't perfect in every way.

Phil

I'm afraid that the notion having a metal lens on the Mobius for the purpose of using a magnetic CPL is just a fantasy as all the bezels on the Mobius lenses since the beginning have been aluminum. As the primary market for the Mobius was, is and will probably continue to be the RC market, I suspect the changeover to a FRP module was to cut down on the weight of the lens. A machined ferrous metal lens bezel and threaded barrel would likely be way too heavy for this purpose and would also present problems since carbon steel cannot be anodized like aluminum. Even for the action camera market you probably don't want to make the camera unnecessarily heavy or unbalanced.

Different types of glass formulations containing various chemicals and elements are used in making camera lenses to achieve specific optical qualities. Some types of optical glass can be quite heavy and the high quality lenses used in the Mobius seem to be pretty hefty compared to other similar sized M12 lenses used cheaper cameras. While I've never actually weighed the Mobius lenses and compared them with other M12 lenses but it might be an interesting thing to do. In any event I think the heavier glass in the Mobius C lens probably contributed to the decision to develop the lighter weight FRP threaded module and lens barrel.

The problem with the sensor back plate has indeed been a serious problem for the Mobius, as we know, but there is no reason to believe that this issue is insurmountable. Obviously a great deal of effort and considerable expense has gone into resolving the focus issues with the FRP module and I believe we all need to give the new C2 lens module a chance to prove itself before dismissing it.

Maybe Mobius should sell 2 versions. One for RC and action cam another for Dashcam. One is not affected by FRP lens and the other is not bothered with increase in weight. Buyers just choose which one they want.
Changing lens and module is so easy in a Mobius, buyer can buy a spare if they wish to change application.

Guys I'm struggling with in camera formatting on my möbius with v2.37 fw.

From the manual I understand I should connect external power, press and hold Mode button then disconnect power and await the yellow LED flashes followed by three flashes of red Led, then I release the mode button et voila!

What actually happens is I connect external power, hold down Mode button, disconnect power and then I get one flash of blue LED followed by three flashes of red from main LED and I then release the mode button. The problem is that after doing this twice my memory card is still filled with the same files as before so I think the card hasn't been formatted.

Am I missing something here? Why does my main led flash blue instead of yellow as described in the manual? Why is my memory card not formatted despite following the directions in the manual? Are the three red led flashes the manual refers to meant to come from the main led or the rear LED as this is not clear.

Would appreciate some clarification please.

Ps the reason I'm trying to format the card is because despite successfully recording a 60 min journey earlier today, the camera has now failed to record three short trips and has recorded blank video (audio only) on another trip. While doing so the yellow led blinks as normal

Back