Next version of Mobius?

Just checked out the link and viewed the video properties for several videos recorded using the Mobius which shows the bitrate as 18.207ish, or 8 hours continuous recording time using a 64GB card, I compared this to the actual recording time per MB which was approx 416MB per 3 minute video = 138.66MB per minute or approximately 7.5 hours recording time.

Just checked out the link and viewed the video properties for several videos recorded using the Mobius which shows the bitrate as 18.207ish, or 8 hours continuous recording time using a 64GB card, I compared this to the actual recording time per MB which was approx 416MB per 3 minute video = 138.66MB per minute or approximately 7.5 hours recording time.
It also depends what Video Data Rate that you choose, there is Low, Standard and High.

It also depends what Video Data Rate that you choose, there is Low, Standard and High.
For info my video data rate is set to 'High' because I wanted the best possible video quality that could be achieved.

I'm currently using a Samsung Ultra 128GB class 10 micro SD card in my Mobius so don't have any worries about space. Apart from which, in the event that anything exciting does happen I can just copy and save the most recent high quality footage off the card onto my computer.

I have roughly 10 hours or so on mine in 1080/30 at standard quality.

I am looking for a new dash cam and the mobius is a serious contender but... the night time video quality is just not comparable to the current gen ambarella cameras. I think for every driver out there, night time video quality is amongst the most important features.

I'm actually pretty ok with the nighttime footage of the Mobius. Especially considering its small package.

The only way we will get proper nighttime recording is if someone licensed Sony's NightShot technology from them and installed in a cam, short of installing full on NV-tech in them

.. the night time video quality is just not comparable to the current gen ambarella cameras.

I reckon I've seen every video ever uploaded that compares simultaneously shot night video of Mobius vs other cameras. Mobius always acquits itself very well, even though the other camera may be 3 to 4 times it's price.

Please link to the video on which your assertion is based. But if it's not a simultaneously shot comparison, then don't waste our time. Example of a valid comparison (Mobius bottom left)...

Last edited:
Only new lens.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke, mobius completely fine right now.

I am looking for a new dash cam and the mobius is a serious contender but... the night time video quality is just not comparable to the current gen ambarella cameras. I think for every driver out there, night time video quality is amongst the most important features.

Mobius night-time video quality is as good as any other dashcam of equal price, better than most of the others of equal price, and for most of us it is good enough. If you need something better at night, there are many better cams available; no need to bash the Mobius for something it never claimed to offer.

Phil

One thing you never see from the comparison videos is the reduction in detail on the Möbius (and a lot of other Novatek / Aptina cameras) at night.

If you download the raw video footage you can see it more obviously - it's like the night footage drops resolution to bump brightness. The Novatek 96655 and Sony sensors are better at night - likewise the Ambarella sensor with the AR0330 produces sharper night video too. Like Niko usually says the software plays a big part - you can take the best components with poor firmware and it will be crap.

None of these things are perfect and night vision will incrementally improve over time.

Until Mobius 2 drops I kind of see the JooVuu X as its spiritual successor from what we've seen so far

Last edited:
One thing I would like to see in the next version: WiFi. It may not be applicable for an action-cam but it would be a huge plus as a dash cam. It would easily be worth an additional $20 on the price to me

I sure like the fit and finish of the current model. It's a beautiful machine.

One thing I would like to see in the next version: WiFi. It may not be applicable for an action-cam but it would be a huge plus as a dash cam. It would easily be worth an additional $20 on the price to me

I sure like the fit and finish of the current model. It's a beautiful machine.
+1

Does anyone know how long a 64gb record continously? How many hours approximately?
I posted this on another thread earlier...
My working day is around 10 hours with a 3/4 hour break. I use a 64gig card on medium bitrate which covers the whole day plus a few hours of the previous day. The power supply is permanently on so I have a switch on the top of my cigar lighter plug. I switch on before I drive & switch off when I finish at the depot, I also switch off when I'm on my break. Otherwise the cam is always on.
Looking at my latest files... 6th August, first file starts at 15:13:55, last file ends at 17:22:56. 7th August 08:14:30 - 17:20:10 so 2h 09m plus 9h 06m = 11h 15 minus 45m break = 10h 30m recorded at medium bitrate.

Good to know, I ordered a standard and a c2 mobius after my panorama2 died, I ordered a 64gb, the 128gb are too expensive at the moment, I had a non micro 128gb card in my panorama2, and to be honest I wanted to buy 25? Gb as I work looooong hours.

Making a blanket statement like this, makes it sound as if all Mobius are, as you say, "flakey". I have two that do not exhibit this behavior and have been working reliably through many firmware updates. In fact being here on DCT for quite a while and reading countless posts about countless cameras, none have been more reliable than the Mobius nor have been more updated and improved than the Mobius. My few month old C lens is as sharp and reliable as my year and a half A lens.

Its not flakey? Mobius is piece of CRAP

For anyone thinking about using this piece of CRAP in loop mode, think twice about it. About a year ago I bought 3 of the cameras, 2 for my car, one for my bike. I set up for loop mode. I actually never gave it a thought that the camera would not do what it say it would do: "loop". I expected that one day when I needed it, I would have a record of what I needed. Thank god I never actually had too. For the first time, the other day I decided to find something interesting I had seen earlier during my bike ride. It was NOT there. The last time the camera recorded/saved anything was months ago - same thing for the other 2 cameras in my car.

Of course, I have verified that the software is updated and settings on the camera are correct. I even ordred new CLASS 10 cards. Nothing I do will get ANY of my 3 cameras to loop. When the card gets full, it stops. Pieces of CRAP - Mobius is. In other words, useless as a dash cam.

So you never formatted the cards regularly? How often would they get full? What size cards?
It's very frustrating to find out that a product you through money on isn't working, I'd say it is the memory cards, get them tested, there is a program to test cards, other members will link it.

How many cards do I need to try? - I have tried at least 5 different cards Class 4 and up. It not like I haven't tried to find a solution. I have tried all the suggestions on this as well RCgroups. There is no excuse that this camera is not designed to work with all memory cards - other than there is a design flaw. Its not up to the consumer to debug what cards to use. My suggestion - disable all features that are known to be not stable, and make them only available with a user selected option and caveat emptor warning. BTW - when I bought these cameras I remember loop working. I'm 100% sure that its the designers constant tinkering with firmware versions - each one seems to introduce new problems. I dont want any feedback or help - I have enough EE. degrees and design experience under my belt to know a FLAKEY product (design flaw) when I see it. I have no more time to devote to these CRAP toys. If other people want to play - let them - but let them do so with the knowledge that this camera is not ready for prime time.

I had the same problem that you had with my panorama2, all memory cards need formating every now and then in dash cams, if you baught it one year ago and only found the problem recently then the lack of regular formating is your problem.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Mobius 2 / M2 5
Back