Next version of Mobius?

How many cards do I need to try? - I have tried at least 5 different cards Class 4 and up. It not like I haven't tried to find a solution. I have tried all the suggestions on this as well RCgroups. There is no excuse that this camera is not designed to work with all memory cards - other than there is a design flaw. Its not up to the consumer to debug what cards to use. My suggestion - disable all features that are known to be not stable, and make them only available with a user selected option and caveat emptor warning. BTW - when I bought these cameras I remember loop working. I'm 100% sure that its the designers constant tinkering with firmware versions - each one seems to introduce new problems. I dont want any feedback or help - I have enough EE. degrees and design experience under my belt to know a FLAKEY product (design flaw) when I see it. I have no more time to devote to these CRAP toys. If other people want to play - let them - but let them do so with the knowledge that this camera is not ready for prime time.

I also have three of these cameras with two of them working as dashcams. No issues with either of the cameras running and looping as dashcams. I have now ran three different firmware versions as well and haven't had any issues expect when I failed to set the correct parameters.

I'd LOVE to see your settings since you either got three duds, have the parameters set wrong and are _______. <- Edit

My Mobius cameras have been fully stable and reliable, as seems to be the general consensus here.

I also have three of these cameras with two of them working as dashcams. No issues with either of the cameras running and looping as dashcams. I have now ran three different firmware versions as well and haven't had any issues expect when I failed to set the correct parameters.

I'd LOVE to see your settings since you either got three duds, have the parameters set wrong and are _______. <- Edit

My Mobius cameras have been fully stable and reliable, as seems to be the general consensus here.
Mine works perfectly as well.

I also have 3 Mobius cams. Granted two of them only run for a few minutes each day (run to work & back is no more than 45 - 60 mins depending on traffic) but the one in my bus shows no problems despite running for 9 hours per day.
The problems I have had were down to unbranded card & dodgy transformer overheating.

I posted this on another thread earlier...
My working day is around 10 hours with a 3/4 hour break. I use a 64gig card on medium bitrate which covers the whole day plus a few hours of the previous day. The power supply is permanently on so I have a switch on the top of my cigar lighter plug. I switch on before I drive & switch off when I finish at the depot, I also switch off when I'm on my break. Otherwise the cam is always on.
Looking at my latest files... 6th August, first file starts at 15:13:55, last file ends at 17:22:56. 7th August 08:14:30 - 17:20:10 so 2h 09m plus 9h 06m = 11h 15 minus 45m break = 10h 30m recorded at medium bitrate.

On medium bit rate my 64gb recorded 8hours, I think on high bit rate, it was about 7hours.

On medium bit rate my 64gb recorded 8hours, I think on high bit rate, it was about 7hours.
Just bought a Lexar 128GB (95MB/s) card off Amazon. Had it running constantly off a mains adaptor from 18:00 Friday all the way through to 22:20 tonight. Set the parameters to highest bitrate & have 3o6 x 3min files (even the last one is 3m 01s long). Some files are listed as being 393MB, others as 396MB. Earliest file is from 07:02 this morning, last file finished at 22:20.
Looking forward to getting a better image of the idiots' numberplates.

Don't forget 7% more if sound is disabled;)

I really need the sound, sometimes the cam doesn't capture the plates of the idiots so I tend to call out the reg as well

thanks!!!
i will copy he's post here:

*********************************************************************************
Mobius 2 - a brief look into the near future
With 1080p-60fps action cameras starting to show up in the marketplace, the developer has agreed to a brief status update on the M2 development here. So here's what I can tell you:

1. The M2 will obviously be capable of 1080p-60 fps as well as 720p-120 fps. Other resolutions have not been determined yet.

2. Other goals are improved low light ability and better dynamic range. The imaging hardware in the M2 will be different form the Mobius of necessity, but no details on specs are being released. I expect improvements will be more incremental than earth shattering. Improved sound capture hardware has also been incorporated.

3. The M2 design has been refined for about a 30% decrease in power consumption compared to other 1080p-60fps action cameras on the market. Again, there are no specs on the DSP chip being released, but I can say it will NOT have an Ambarella chip for many reasons I won't go into. This means the battery size can be smaller and still give good recording times with diminished heat problems. The result is a form factor that is very close in size and weight to the current Mobius.

4. Needless to say excellent image quality in the Mobius tradition can be expected, and a rich feature set of user functions will also be incorporated. Some features may come via FW updates as they did with the original Mobius, but from what I've seen in the prototype camera, the initial FW at release time looks like it will have a rich set of the more important user functions.
5. No release date or cost information is being given. If development efforts go smoothly, we could see the M2 later this fall. No promises! If I have any further information on this, I will post it here, so asking for an update before then won't yield any new information
wink.gif

6. And finally, I saved probably the most import new feature for last, when it probably should be first. The M2 will give the user a choice of using h.264 (a.k.a. AVC) or the new h.265 (a.k.a. HEVC) video codec. So what, some may ask? This new codec will be the de facto standard for HD content in short order, replacing h.264, because it has the ability to produce video with a similar quality to h.264 compression with nominally 1/2 the data rate. For M2 users, the main benefits from this I see are:
  • Files can be 1/2 as large, essentially doubling the recording time you can save on a given memory card, or cutting in half the capacity of the memory card you may need.
  • The camera will be able to write the streaming video output to the memory card faster with less power consumption.
  • Files for a given recording can be read off the memory card and transferred to external storage about twice as fast.
Of course, your video player and editing software will need to be able to decode the h.265 content (and also encode with that codec if you want to do heavy editing while keeping the small file size). Already the latest WMP, VLC, and MPC-HC video players can play most h.265 (a.k.a. HEVC) videos. And there are downloadable filters for earlier Window video software that allow processing of HEVC content. Video editors (even some commercial ones) have some catching up to do to support HEVC editing. The latest AviDemux free open source editor has incorporated an early HEVC codec, but has some issues editing some HEVC content. This is leading edge stuff, and will take a little time to be widely incorporated, but the M2 will be ready for it.

If you want to see what the HEVC codec can do with one of your h.264 encoded Mobius videos, download the free Handbrake video converter and re-encode your original with h.265 output codec set for an average data rate 1/2 of it's native data rate! I cannot tell any visual difference when I did this, other than the file size dropped from 366 MB down to 180MB! Rather amazing if you ask me!
*********************************************************************************

what do you think will be the price?
up to 100$
100-150$
150-200$
more than 200$
?

Last edited:
Good idea. Will get more attention.

My hunch is that the camera will be priced below 100 dollars to continue the tradition of value for money the Mobius has become known for as well as to maintain their unique position in the marketplace. As has been pointed out many times previously, the Mobius could easily sell for more than it does but the developer's low key, almost word of mouth approach to marketing as well as avoidance of special packaging helps them to offer the camera at a lower price.

The specs for the Mobius 2 look very impressive indeed, and the prospect of doubling the recording time by adopting H.265 is awesome, I'm already viewing video recorded on the Mobius using VLC media player so look forward to the new and improved Mobius V2. I'm not too bothered about increase frame rate, though would appreciate sharper video and improved low-light performance, just so long as the ability to read number-plates of approaching cars isn't blurred as has been the case with other somewhat more unreliable dash cams.

The one thing that the Mobius has demonstrated over the past few years has been its rock solid reliability, and I do hope that the manufacturers take this on-board that they have earned an excellent reputation for quality of components, which most, if not all of us customers really do appreciate, whilst many other dashcam manufacturers continue to spend an inordinate amount of money on advertising and packaging, when really they ought to be concentrating on the contents in the box to ensure that it works as advertised, is reliable, and offers good quality video footage.

Will almost certainly be ordering one of the new Mobius V2 cameras as and when they are advertised for sale on their ebay shop, well always assuming they keep the price keen ;)

I'm committed to buying the JooVuu X-cam, but once the budget recovers from that this one comes next. With a large card and double the recording time it will once again be the best bargain on the market even with a reasonable price increase factored in. I am impressed.

Phil

I'm committed to buying the JooVuu X-cam, but once the budget recovers from that this one comes next. With a large card and double the recording time it will once again be the best bargain on the market even with a reasonable price increase factored in. I am impressed.

Phil
I am going to buy a JooVuu X-cam as well. Based on a lot of the work that @kamkar1 has produced. I agree that the Mobius is an outstanding camera. Good thing you have a van for those cameras ;)

Hope to be getting a car soon too, so I will have space for all these cams :D

Phil

Thank you for the kind words :) but i am really just serving up what the X can do, and i do wish i was able to serve up more comprehensive footage.
But due to the issues with my preproduction sample that will not happen.

BUT ! i do hope to be able to make up for that just before release with a ton of stuff, i actually think i might need to wipe some of the old stuff from my MEGA account to make room for more.
Will do my best to give you guys footage on which you can make a informed buy, or pass on the X cam, whatever you please / find best for you.

Next mobius allso sound damm interesting with H265 and i assume 1080/60 too.

I had the same problem that you had with my panorama2, all memory cards need formating every now and then in dash cams, if you baught it one year ago and only found the problem recently then the lack of regular formating is your problem.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but...why? What are these cameras doing (or not doing) that requires the cards to be periodically re-formatted? To me that's indicative of a problem that should be addressed.

All cams benefit from cards being reformatted occasionally. It's kind of like running defrag on Win PC's. Tends to keep things running better. It also allows you to check the card to see if there's any bad sectors which would indicate the end of it's useful life in your cam. SD Cards don't last forever!

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Mobius 2 / M2 5
Back