BulletHD Setup question

Russwll Lawrence

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BullrtHD
Is there a way to setup the camera with the options you want and have the setup reflect your settings when you format your MS,,, or do you have to keep your setup file and copy it to the MS after format???

not clear on your question but the settings are stored in the camera memory, once you have updated the settings to camera formatting the card anytime won't change that

The settings.txt file is created on the memory card automatically if it's missing after a fresh format. The settings are stored in the main unit itself and won't change unless you give it an altered settings.txt file that is different from the settings currently set/stored in the main unit.

Thanks... I was just wondering if I had to replace the setup.txt file with one I have saved or what aster a format on the mini-sd card... That is good that it retains the setting and puts the correct version on startup...

Folks. Had my camera for a month. Needed a waterproof camera and looked forever for one. It's going to be the ants pants but I'm still working on problem solving it.

Some points.
You should update the firmware via the Internet to the 2016 version or nothing will work. (I've just found there is a later version than the January one and will try that) Didn't see anything advising that in any documentation I got with the camera.
Don't try and start it without the camera lens attached or it'll beep consistently even with a card in it.

If after update, you can wifi into your phone app afterwards, you can set the time (it takes the time from the phone) of write the time on the txt file

Make sure you set the format on the phone to 24 hours not am/pm. I found that the new firmware bin file disappears after first upgrade so it appears you don't have to delete it.

I've had a heap of problems with finding a micro sd card that is consistent.
First one was an old 16gb card that worked OK then intermittent then failed completely and no amount of re formatting would get it to be recognized by recorder.
Second was a 32 gb Class 10 card I had for my go pro which always worked OK. That never worked at all on the Biker HD.
The most success I've had so far was with a 16gb sd class 10 card bought new from Dick smith last weekend straight out of the package (ie no formatting) The recorder writes the file structure and text file to the card from information on the recorder.
The way to tell is the DCIM folder is created on the card.

My latest issue is that the writing and turning off and on is so inconsistent, ie the camera will start but just not stop when I turn the bike off. It appears something happens which stopped the recording completely. I'll have a successful recording of the ride to work but it'll fail on the way home.

Not a camera for the feint hearted or non persistent. Picture excellent at 1080, a bit average at 720, sound picks up a lot of wind noise as the unit is mounted on the rear fender under the carrier. Great image stabilisation.

I've found you need to set the shock sensor for the least sensitive (2) or off else you'll fill your card with EVENT files which cannot be deleted via wifi app and wont be overwritten by the camera.
Just a bump on the road (on a motorbike) will be enough to trigger an EVENT.
I've also had issues from day one where the camera corrupts the video file. It's intermittent and annoying.

You cannot use the recording unit off the bike as a separate usb device to view files on the computer. The camera lens needs to be connected and this is impossible once its been installed on the bike (nothng to say you can't do it but never found a way to turn it on and have it recognised by PC). You need to take the card out and put it in a reader.
I'll give the distributor a call after Easter.
I've got it wired into the bike electrics so full power and have the latest style HDMI cable to the lens.

I've had to make sure the recorder is readily accessible while I problem solve it. Mounted at the moment with velcro and not the packaged adhesive. A 2 min file uses 138mb, 10 files 1.4gb and easy to fill the card with 200 mins (esp if EVENT files fill it up.) More to follow

Has anyone else experienced or solved any of these issues.

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen for your very diplomatic response to my brain dump. I've tried to add some spacing. Kind regards

Ah much better thanks.

I'd avoid SanDisk brand microSD cards. Transcend is good

You might have a bad video cable. There is no send receive error correction so if the cable is internally intermittent could be problematic. I've had a couple V2 cables go out but nothing nearly as bad as V1

You could also have a faulty power supply. Replacing the power supply fixed your description for someone else. Test powering via battery bank is a test of you have one. Needs to be a stable 1A+

I wouldn't use g-sensor on a motorcycle just not smooth enough.

Yes don't power the alien head disconnected. Eject the card and the use a USB card reader

Last edited:
Dear Pier 28, again, exceptional service at 8.30pm on the Thursday night before Easter in South Australia. May the rabbit visit you!!
Testing and running the unit on the bike in the garage works fine and I head off full of confidence.
Its the real world where I have problems. Not much room under the seat of a Harley to put additional power supplies but I'll look into it
Not using a sandisk card (interesting how some vendors are advertising sandisk cards with the units.)
I'll also have a close look at the cable to the lens (I'm not using the connecting screws because fitment is so patchy at the moment and I may need to pull it all down.
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi folks. Did a little cleaning up under the seat of the Harley soft tail this morning.
Took some pics which may assist others looking for installation solutions.
Currently mounted camera discretely on bracket on forks near tool bag, Recorder on Velcro strips under carrier on back mudguard until issues resolved then hopefully full time under seat.
Used a little fuse splitter from jaycar to patch off my power from the fuse box without having to cut into power wires.
Umbilical cable running under tank. Going to use the camera this weekend and see if there is an improvement. Also put a tiny piece of tape over microphone so still get sound but not wind noise. Going to check that out as well. RegardsIMG_2545.JPG IMG_2546.JPG IMG_2547.JPG IMG_2548.JPG IMG_2543 (Medium).JPG IMG_2544 (Medium).JPG

I tried to make some preliminary enquiries re getting some replacement parts / unit replaced / warranty. Does anyone know the current disposition of BulletHD Australia. There web site shows out of stock on everything. Nothing currently for sale via Ebay. An Email address via Ebay for purchase not known. The phone number can't be connected. Just sent a message via Ebay but seems funny

I tried to make some preliminary enquiries re getting some replacement parts / unit replaced / warranty. Does anyone know the current disposition of BulletHD Australia. There web site shows out of stock on everything. Nothing currently for sale via Ebay. An Email address via Ebay for purchase not known. The phone number can't be connected. Just sent a message via Ebay but seems funny

@Pier28 has a direct contact for the manufacturer, maybe can get you some info on what's happening in Australia from them, last I heard they were still supporting the product but perhaps that has changed, not sure

Thanks very much for your interest Jokiin. Most appreciated. I may be jumping the gun but this seller is no where near as visible and available as Pier28. Hopefully they'll reply through Ebay. I can understand people and sellers wanting to keep their privacy but this is the Oz distributor.

If you need to any parts I can hook you up. We don't export Street Guardian to Australia but BulletHD is no problem.

I'm about to add an advanced configurator on our site so all Biker Mate/Pro accessories are super organized and easy to choose.

Thanks very much for your interest Jokiin. Most appreciated. I may be jumping the gun but this seller is no where near as visible and available as Pier28.

yeah I'm not familiar with who looks after the product in Australia, sounds like it's a challenge to get help though

Dear friends, especially Pier28 and Jokiin, thanks for all your help and advice. I so want this camera to work. The picture is excellent. I've commenced enquiries with the seller via EBay (no reply yet) but in the meantime I've bitten the bullet (excuse the pun) and installed all the cable clamps. I was avoiding doing so until I had it running consistently. I just haven't used the 3M adhesive sticker on the Alien Head recorder yet so I will be able to pull it down if required. The camera has been failing consistently. However, with clamps installed, it's turning on and off with the ignition switch in the shed tonight but tomorrows run to work will check if the clamps made a difference.

OK folks. I'm a bit dispirited. Cables all secured with clamps last night and got underway with confidence to work this morning. Started OK and recorded for about 15 mins then recording failed half way there. I managed to get home OK and the pictures are great.
I'm wondering, the only thing left and not clamped, stabilised is the miniSD card reader. Could that be failing and jarring the card on heavy bumps?
Has anyone got the alien head recording unit in a soft bag or somewhere where it doesn't get jarred and having success. Mine's mounted on the fender.

@Pier28 has gone through most of the troubleshooting on these and would probably know best what to look at, answers might vary depending on which production your camera is from as there have been some updates and changes along the way

Back