VIOFO A118C2

We have done something for new version like added image rotation some user required.
I will recheck the requirement during vacation, and plan to release a new version on Oct.
Thanks Viofo

Surely with a capacitor installed the camera should at least save the video up to the moment when the power is cut?

That's the problem, and that's why I am not dissapointed I bought this camera. Yes the video is saved, but it pretty much misses the last second.

I uploaded some videos to show this.

First video shows the operation that by holding the power button there is a splash screen viofo when the camera shutoff.
2nd video you can see that the camera instantly turns off when I turn the key to off. Other camera still rolls for a few more seconds (also a capacitor version)
3rd video shows that you basically lose a second before the power shut off. If it's an accident it basically misses the impact. The 3rd video is basically the 2nd shutdown attempt in the 2nd video.

jokiin or viofo, can you confirm this is how it's suppose to work or is it a broken unit that I need to return. If this is normal, why isn't the capacitor holding 1-2 more seconds before shutting down? Will the 118C V2 be the same, missing the last second? How about the 119C?

As you can see, I have a G1W-C as well on capacitor, and that keeps recording for another 2 seconds when the power is shutdown.

Are you assuming your losing a second based on when the screen shuts off or are you actually comparing the 2 videos? Looks like while the A118C's screen shuts off first, the actual camera (at least the led lights) stay on longer on the A118C than your other dash camera.

Are you assuming your losing a second based on when the screen shuts off or are you actually comparing the 2 videos? Looks like while the A118C's screen shuts off first, the actual camera (at least the led lights) stay on longer on the A118C than your other dash camera.

Actually losing time. Check the youtube movie. It never records 0, it shuts down at 1 when I count down.

I can't make out your videos, too dark

Sorry, it was night, but you need to only look at the cam, not the video quality. The screen can be seen on the little camera, and you can hear my count down.

Actually losing time. Check the youtube movie. It never records 0, it shuts down at 1 when I count down.

Sorry, it was night, but you need to only look at the cam, not the video quality. The screen can be seen on the little camera, and you can hear my count down.
Ah, I see what your saying. Didn't understand your last video. Scene was so dark I couldn't make out that the camera was just hanging there.

what's the second camera?

The second camera is the one I had for a while a G1W-C as I mentioned in my OP. The one hanging is the 118C as I didn't wanted to tape it on the windshield as I was still testing it.

No it runs the original firmware it came with.

Does this firmwave fixes the last second lost upon disconnection?

Does anyone else who has this cam, is yours also just losing the last second before power gets cut?
I don't own or sell the A118C.

No it runs the original firmware it came with.

Does this firmwave fixes the last second lost upon disconnection?

Does anyone else who has this cam, is yours also just losing the last second before power gets cut?
First time heard this issue, can you explain more?

First time heard this issue, can you explain more?

Please check the videos. In the videos I'm counting down from 5. At 0 I cut the power off (tested by turning the keys off or pulling the power cord). The image stops recording when I'm reaching 1, therefore losing almost a full second of recording before power is cut. The problem is that in an accident that knocks off the power, I will not have the footage at the moment of impact since the cam does not record for about a second before the impact.

The capacitors should leave the cam running for a few seconds AFTER the power is cut (like with my old cam that you can see in the video which also uses capacitors). I am also not sure if the cam actually shuts off properly. Yes the last video is not corrupt, but there is no Viofo splash screen when power is cut, compared to when I press the power button to shut it off, there is a Viofo splash screen. As you can see in the video the cam instantly turns off, with only the LED's at the top still being on for a few seconds.

The capacitors should leave the cam running for a few seconds AFTER the power is cut (like with my old cam that you can see in the video which also uses capacitors). I am also not sure if the cam actually shuts off properly. Yes the last video is not corrupt, but there is no Viofo splash screen when power is cut, compared to when I press the power button to shut it off, there is a Viofo splash screen. As you can see in the video the cam instantly turns off, with only the LED's at the top still being on for a few seconds.

the way the other camera shuts down might fit your expectation better but the way they are doing it is less reliable, the Viofo is doing it correctly but may just need to extend the file close process by one second, it could also relate to key frames so would need to check if it is always shutting down one second short or not before making any adjustment

the way the other camera shuts down might fit your expectation better but the way they are doing it is less reliable, the Viofo is doing it correctly but may just need to extend the file close process by one second, it could also relate to key frames so would need to check if it is always shutting down one second short or not before making any adjustment

So would this be something that could be implemented via firmware update?
You mention the other camera that has capacitors and still record 2 seconds after the power is cut is a reliability issue. Why is that? Is it not possible to extend A118C to record for 1 more second after the power is cut?

I mean catching an accident that cuts off the power is important right? It would be a serious accident too if the power gets cut, so more reason to record it all until the time of impact.

So would this be something that could be implemented via firmware update?.

yes

You mention the other camera that has capacitors and still record 2 seconds after the power is cut is a reliability issue. Why is that? .

you might notice some people that have had those for a while talk about having file close issues after some months of ownership, this is related

yes

you might notice some people that have had those for a while talk about having file close issues after some months of ownership, this is related

Fair enough. But the camera should record at least until the moment the power is cut. Then I know it would need a few ms or seconds to close the file, not sure how fast A118C does it. That way it would catch the moment of impact if an accident would cut the power off.

Also, just to confirm, it's normal when the camera power is cut, for the screen to just go blank (without a viofo logo or any other logo)? As you can notice in my video, when the power is cut, the screen goes instantly blank, and the LED's above take a few more seconds until they also turn off. Could you confirm this is normal for an authentic Viofo A118C camera?

Back