Any way to get parking surveillance mode enabled using GPS or movement sensor?

satheesh.net

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Is there any way to get the parking surveillance mode enabled without using the extra wires? It would be better if it could sense that the car is parked when not in motion or GPS location is static. I know a couple of other vendors have this built in. I would think it's a "simple" firmware option to allow this.

I've installed this in my Tesla Model X and it seems a bit unnecessary to have different wiring to to get this done. (For information and pictures, please have a look here: http://www.satheesh.net/2016/08/19/dashcam-installation-tesla-model-x/

Anyways, I hope someone can shed some light on this matter.

Regards,
Satheesh Varadharajan
www.satheesh.net

Last edited:
Even if you would enable parkmode directly via "no motion/static gps" you'd still need to hardwire it
(cos the cigarette lighter stops working after u turn off the engine)
So we're only talking one extra wire really.

Even if you would enable parkmode directly via "no motion/static gps" you'd still need to hardwire it
(cos the cigarette lighter stops working after u turn off the engine)
So we're only talking one extra wire really.

Well, not in my car. :) It's always on. And if you take it a bit further you can also connect it to the constant current from the OBD-2 port.

So my question still stands.

Not sure if that's doable in that camera.
There are few like Lukas that switch to parking mode once ACC is off.
It detects whether vehicle is on or off and switch to correct mode.

What you are requesting is not a Parking Mode. It's a "Motion Detection" mode based on either video motion detection or GPS location change.
There are several Dashcams that have the Motion Detection mode (A119 for one) that provide a "psudo" Parking Mode.
The issue (or I call it a problem) is that these Dashcams begin recording when motion is detected, and then for a set period afterward. They do not begin recording video prior to that event which activated the recording. So it is quite possible that the activity that you desire to capture will have already happened before the Dashcam begins recording.

The MAJOR advantage to a Hardwire Kit wired switch to the Parking Mode on the Thinkware Dashcams is that the Parking Mode is BUFFERED. Meaning that when either Motion or a shock (Event) occurs, the Dashcam records about 8 seconds PRIOR to the Motion or Event, and then continues recording for a period after the event.

The Thinkware Dashcams also capture an Event recording when shock occurs during Continuous Recording. I was recently in an accident (a person pulled out into the side of my vehicle) and the Event recording captured the entire event flawlessly.

I do not know of any Dashcam that offers Buffered capture without a hardwired Parking Mode.

RodeoGeorge

I do not know of any Dashcam that offers Buffered capture without a hardwired Parking Mode.

they are independent functions actually and there are models with buffered motion detect that work that way without a hardwired parking mode

Back