VIOFO A118C2

Also, just to confirm, it's normal when the camera power is cut, for the screen to just go blank (without a viofo logo or any other logo)? As you can notice in my video, when the power is cut, the screen goes instantly blank, and the LED's above take a few more seconds until they also turn off. Could you confirm this is normal for an authentic Viofo A118C camera?

yes

@viofo and @jokiin could you confirm the size of the v2 please?

The best position for it in my car is approx 50mm wide by 75mm high to passenger side of mirror mount...

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 12.47.24.png

Here...

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 12.53.35.png

I think this would allow fitting AND the space needed for mounting?

Size has probably been posted previously, hasn't changed from the previous version

I happen to have an A118C on my desk in front of me.
Approximately 7cm long, 4.5cm high (tapering to 2cm at the rear), 5cm wide (5.5cm wide including lens-adjusting handles).

@2000rpm thanks, looks just right. Just a concern I won't be able to see the screen very well for setting up as the mirror may get in the way.

I see you have had a load of cams. What are your top three under £100, and why?

@2000rpm thanks, looks just right. Just a concern I won't be able to see the screen very well for setting up as the mirror may get in the way.

Just set the lens to a few degrees less than horizontal (about 60% road, 40% sky) and it'll be about right. I can set most cams adequately 'by eye'; they're very tolerant of a few degrees mis-alignment.

..I see you have had a load of cams. What are your top three under £100....

Mobius C2, JooVuu X, Transcend Drive Pro 100.

Once you appreciate that all cams have issues and limitations - including those three - they seem to be less imperfect than most others and seem to offer good value for money.
At the current £85 for cam, mount, power cable (and a maybe a discount if you have a voucher code) the JooVuu X (capacitor version) is the cam to have as long as you don't mind it being more fiddly and time consuming to change settings (although once set up it shouldn't require attention).

I should add that I'm a Beta-tester for JooVuu but unlike most of JooVuu's Beta-test team I bought my cams at the same 'retail' price anyone else would have paid so I haven't been incentivised to recommend the cam.

@2000rpm bearing in mind the Mobius and JooVuu are fairy similar, what appeals about the Transcend 100? Simplicity?

Have your tried any of the more expensive Transcend models - 200; 220? No better?

@2000rpm bearing in mind the Mobius and JooVuu are fairy similar, what appeals about the Transcend 100? Simplicity?

Have your tried any of the more expensive Transcend models - 200; 220? No better?

We ran two DP100 cams in the rear of our cars for a couple of years and covered tens of thousands of miles. The adhesive mount stuck where a suction cup would fall off due to the heating wires.

In the couple of years the DP100 cams were in our cars, they covered tens of thousands of miles and neither of them did the slightest thing wrong - they are probably the most reliable cams we've had; 100.00% reliable.

Of course at some point their battery will fail and they won't be reliable unless they are disassembled and the battery replaced. I haven't opened a DP100 but some cams require considerable disassembly to get to the battery, followed by soldering.

They have recently been replaced by JooVuu X which is more compact, has a capacitor for improved heat tolerance, has many more mounting options, including photography adapters which have compatible 1/4" threads, and has video quality superior in every way (a step up at night, a step up in field of view, two steps up in ability to capture details such as plates).

There was also the plus point that the DP100 came with a 16GB memory card in the box (worth £5 and an extra cost for most cams) plus a two-year warranty where many other companies offer only one year or in some cases with the cheap Chinese stuff it's only three months.

Why not the DP200 or DP220?
Video quality of the 200 or 220 is not greatly improved over the 100.
The original (pre-2016) DP200 had a capacitor but apparently could only be relied upon to hold date/time for 3-4 days if unused (Mobius will hold it for twice that). For 2016 the DP200 was changed from capacitor to battery by the manufacturer.
The DP220 has additional features that add cost but don't add to the basic dashcam functionality of recording your drive. The DP220 sells for over £100 anyway.

Don't forget to leave room for the wire(s) at the top, and room to slide it up a bit to remove it from the mount, such as when cleaning the windshield. And once you install the camera, you don't really need the screen anymore - it's pretty much set and forget. You can always just pivot your mirror up and out of the way to adjust any settings in the camera, since that's a rare event.

Don't forget to leave room for the wire(s) at the top, and room to slide it up a bit to remove it from the mount, such as when cleaning the windshield. And once you install the camera, you don't really need the screen anymore - it's pretty much set and forget. You can always just pivot your mirror up and out of the way to adjust any settings in the camera, since that's a rare event.
Yes, I sussed this, especially with the A118/119 where the unit has to be pushed upwards to release it from the mount.

Yes, I sussed this, especially with the A118/119 where the unit has to be pushed upwards to release it from the mount.

Allow 1cm for the cam to slide on and off the mount.
Plus depending on your car windscreen/roof or other obstructions to the cables, you may need another 3cm for the rigid end of a straight power cable (which is what most dashcams come with) or 1cm for an L-shaped power cable (the L-shaped cables I have in my bits box send the wire to the left, away from the two 'jack' type sockets for AV/GPS).

I only mentioned it because I... Uh... I know this guy who stuck his new a118 to the glass right up against the headliner and then had a hell of a time removing it later. At least I ...I mean he... Had the wires already plugged in before sticking it up there so it could still be used. :p

@viofo
Hello

The gps modul of the a118c2 will be the same one as was with the a118c or there will be changes?

It will be sold separate form the dvr or there will be choice as in the A119.

Last edited:
Yes please let us know when the A118 V2 is available ...

@viofo
Hello

The gps modul of the a118c2 will be the same one as was with the a118c or there will be changes?

it still takes the same GPS as always, I'm sure it will be available separately as before also

@viofo
Hello

The GPS module and CPL is sold separately, GPS module is same as before.

Looking forward to seeing the release of the A118 V2

Back