My Mobius 2 / M2

I would suggest some people probably like them brightly lit so that they're visible in bright sunny conditions inside the car. That's probably why Mobius made them bright in the 1st place. The best answer is probably an LED off option as on the GoPro.

high brightness LED's would be desirable to those using these for RC use I'm sure, not so great for dashcam use though, another challenge with multi purpose products, which market do you tailor your product towards

My experience of the Mobius 2 along with extensive interaction with the developer have given me the strong impression that there is an incomplete understanding of what is required and desired in a dash cam vs an RC optimized camera. I also get the impression that the relatively recent interest on the part of the developer in having dash cam users engage in beta testing rather than just a small cadre of RC users is an indication of the interest and willingness of the developer to understand and respond to the requirements and preferences of the dash cam community.

I would suggest some people probably like them brightly lit so that they're visible in bright sunny conditions inside the car. That's probably why Mobius made them bright in the 1st place. The best answer is probably an LED off option as on the GoPro.

Most of us prefer stealth over bright flashing lights. I doubt the overly bright LEDs are intentional for the purpose you suggest.

My experience of the Mobius 2 along with extensive interaction with the developer have given me the strong impression that there is an incomplete understanding of what is required and desired in a dash cam vs an RC optimized camera. I also get the impression that the relatively recent interest on the part of the developer in having dash cam users engage in beta testing rather than just a small cadre of RC users is an indication of the interest and willingness of the developer to understand and respond to the requirements and preferences of the dash cam community.

I think for too long everything has gone through the Tom Frank filter before getting to the developer, bugs weren't reported unless Tom could reproduce them, feedback on changes were based on what Tom thought etc, perhaps at some stage that was appropriate but I think they're way past that now, I'm sure the sad state the firmware was in on release was a lot to do with the testers who were predominantly RC focused in what they were looking for in a camera and how they were evaluating the product, I think they've paid the price for that with this model and are starting to come around and realise there's a lot of valuable feedback to be had by widening the scope to include other users

I think for too long everything has gone through the Tom Frank filter before getting to the developer, bugs weren't reported unless Tom could reproduce them, feedback on changes were based on what Tom thought etc, perhaps at some stage that was appropriate but I think they're way past that now, I'm sure the sad state the firmware was in on release was a lot to do with the testers who were predominantly RC focused in what they were looking for in a camera and how they were evaluating the product, I think they've paid the price for that with this model and are starting to come around and realise there's a lot of valuable feedback to be had by widening the scope to include other users

Couldn't agree more.

Most of us prefer stealth over bright flashing lights. I doubt the overly bright LEDs are intentional for the purpose you suggest.

I'd suggest it's personal.

One of the biggest issues I had with the Mobius 1 was telling if it was actually recording because the LED's were so dim on bright days.

I can't see any reason for stealth unless you're leaving it recording after parking the vehicle in which case yes, you don't want to attract attention. However, simply driving along the road, I can't see any issue especially as on the Mobius 1 at least, the (dim) LED's face backwards.

Having said all the above though, I see no reason why Mobius shouldn't accomodate everyone by either including a dimming function or a turn off function for the indicator lights. I'm sure it can't be that difficult to do. Just a matter of incorporating a control for the current to the LED's.

I'd suggest it's personal.

One of the biggest issues I had with the Mobius 1 was telling if it was actually recording because the LED's were so dim on bright days.

I can't see any reason for stealth unless you're leaving it recording after parking the vehicle in which case yes, you don't want to attract attention. However, simply driving along the road, I can't see any issue especially as on the Mobius 1 at least, the (dim) LED's face backwards.

Having said all the above though, I see no reason why Mobius shouldn't accomodate everyone by either including a dimming function or a turn off function for the indicator lights. I'm sure it can't be that difficult to do. Just a matter of incorporating a control for the current to the LED's.

A dimming function would be nice. As I imagine you are already aware, the M1 has the ability to turn off the recording indicator in the GUI. I'm confident that as the more pressing firmware issues are resolved we will see this feature on the M2 as well.

not sure dimming would be possible with the current hardware, would be the better way to do it though to suit all types of usage

not sure dimming would be possible with the current hardware, would be the better way to do it though to suit all types of usage

Although highly impractical and improbable it would be interesting to approach this mechanically with pop-in light pipes of either tinted or clear.

Instead of changeable light pipes why not have a clip on filter to fit in the 10 mm space that already exists? A flexible plastic box with clips that go into (or over) a matching designed depressed line or an extrusion on the light pipe would allow anyone to take the part on and off as desired. The box (likely less than 3mm tall minus the clips part) should have the tinted film pressed into place with another small piece of plastic that goes into a embossed line would keeping the film locked into place permanently. The light could be dimmed and undimmed easily by adding or removing the box with the tint.

Last edited:
I see no reason why Mobius shouldn't accomodate everyone by either including a dimming function or a turn off function for the indicator lights. I'm sure it can't be that difficult to do. Just a matter of incorporating a control for the current to the LED's.

As I imagine you are already aware, the M1 has the ability to turn off the recording indicator in the GUI. I'm confident that as the more pressing firmware issues are resolved we will see this feature on the M2 as well.
I'm sure you are aware that the M2 already has a GUI setting to turn the recording indicator on/off. However it applies to both the red led on the rear of the M2 (which is not too bright), plus the multi colour leds on the top and side faces which are much brighter. Ideally the GUI will allow separate controls for these.

I'm currently using the M2 as my rear view camera, so all I need is the rear red led to let me know it's working. I don't need the other leds flashing away drawing attention to the camera.

I'm afraid I can't agree with your comment about a 'sad state' when the firmware was released. I agree that a lot of parameters were missing when the M2 was first released, but the M2 worked from the beginning and didn't prematurely turn off like some cameras still do after being on the market for over a year! What I call a 'sad state' is if a camera can't be relied on or the parameters can't be set correctly after many months on the market.

You have to remember that the M2 is completely different than any other camera of this type/size. It doesn't use a 'standard' DSP where all the developer needs to do is call a supplied library function in order to set a given parameter. The M2 firmware, which uses linux as it's OS, has had to be written entirely from scratch. Not something most developers can or want to do! Because of this, it took the developer a lot longer to develop the M2 than expected - it appeared almost a year too late. I know this delay was a big disappointment for a lot of people. I'm sure the developer would have liked to add more parameters before releasing the firmware, but the pressure form the groups and forums was too great.

Tom Frank has done an amazing amount of testing for these cameras, literally many thousands of hours in his free time and unpaid. None of the Mobius cameras would ever be as good as they are without all his work. But yes, you are right. Like me, he is not a 'real' dashcam user so his dashcam testing is limited.

The developer has been monitored these forums for a long time. One of the main reasons for choosing the image sensor was exactly because of the low-light requirements so often posted in these forums! Tests showed that the sensor used performs better than the Sony IMX206, used in similar cameras, in low light and way better with 1080p @60fps. The image quality from sub-sampling 16M pixels was not acceptable (artifacts, out of focus). The developer tested the IMX206 with both the NTK96660 and A7 but was not satisfied with the results.

You can be assured that the Mobius developer is trying to squeeze out the best low light video with the hardware available, but I don't think we should expect wonders with today's technology in this price segment.

Oh, all this new stuff about the LEDs being too bright - well, I'm pleased they are so bright. At last I can actually see them in sunlight. Having LEDs that could be dimmed would require more space on the already tiny board. But... a(nother) good idea.

Brightness of LEDs also dont bother me.

Regarding the flicker i saw filming my TV at night in a sort of dark living room, i am not able to replicate that with latest firmware.
So 1 problem detected and resolved in a pretty short time :cool: now on to the next while i try to find more ways to make more work for the Mobius minions.

I'm afraid I can't agree with your comment about a 'sad state' when the firmware was released. I agree that a lot of parameters were missing when the M2 was first released, but the M2 worked from the beginning and didn't prematurely turn off like some cameras still do after being on the market for over a year! What I call a 'sad state' is if a camera can't be relied on or the parameters can't be set correctly after many months on the market.

stable yes, acceptable no, the video performance was very poor in the release version, not even near the standards of the Mobius 1, the night video was shocking, it has improved in leaps and bounds over where it was, had it released with the current firmware I think it would have found its feet in the market a whole lot quicker than it has, since release and now that others have been providing feedback it has progressed quite a lot, that's the type of feedback that was needed and was missing in the beginning, I guess the blame for that can really only fall with the developers if they didn't widen their testing group to include some experienced users from their target market, Tom might devote thousands of hours to testing but the type of use he has for the camera and the things that he is looking for are quite different to how it will perform in a dashcam scenario, the release firmware demonstrated that quite clearly

What I call a sad state is how you attack us regardless. You really are incredibly angry - after your last outburst I got PMs from 13 different people regarding what you said - none of them were on your side. I'm not going to react as there are so many sad things about your reaction. It's genuinely disheartening that you even focus on me - I'm evidently doing something right if you cannot stop putting JooVuu X down.

But the saddest thing of them all I think is this. You take for granted your community, you take for granted how far the community has helped your Mobius. People on this forum have painstakinly tested and reported, and your grattitude to them is to represent the Mobius in a derrogatory way, lash out, and go after people. Peter on the other hand is a top bloke. When I met Peter he was nothing short of a gentlemen - he personally met me and my girlfriend at the station, and then took us out for one of the best meals I have ever had. He then drove us to our next appointment. The driving must have been over 3.5hs in total and throughout that time we were always talking. I do not have a bad word to say about Peter as he represents Mobius how it should be - you don't.

Come after me yet again, I admit, I haven't been the best - but let me reiterate - I'm 26 and studied Politics at University (I graduated in 2013) so I'm still pretty new to this whole business thing. You on the other hand are NOT 26 and have been in this game far longer than most people have been on these forums. Yet you still haven't acknowledged or improved. I love feedback, yes we have let people down, and yes - i'll make it up to them, i'll right that wrong. We gave all of our customers a free CPL filter and I'll do whatever I can to fix problems. So yes, I've been a d***, I've made bad mistakes, and I'll probably make more in the future, but I've grown up, I've listened, and I'm learning, I really hope you start to.

Also I figure you're going to attack me/my achievements (I'm 26 so I'm still full of energy and boundless optimism) - so to change this up as it's getting rather boring - you're a computer person, what about releasing an 'easter egg' in the next mSetup software that if you click 3 times on a random button - a gif pops up of someone being kicked in the balls (https://media3.giphy.com/media/BKqoHeHlbcRvW/200_s.gif) and a caption saying: THIS IS WHAT WE THINK OF JOOVUU X/DAN/ANYONE WHO DARES TO QUESTION MOBIUS. This would be far funnier, more constructive, and tbf - even I'd have to get onboard with that.

Have a great day!

Isoprop, I appreciate the work you and Tom do. I also understand the reason for slow development. Our viewpoint here as dashcam users puts the M2 against some specialized and highly developed dashcams where it doesn't currently look so good, but knowing the history of Mobius and seeing what was done with the M1 over time I believe in the M2 and I see more potential in it than with some other new-to-the-scene cams.

Yes we want changes and features. But for me, absolute reliability carries 51%+ of the decision weight and I'm glad that y'all seem to feel the same way. The rest can be tweaked along the way and while that's not happening as fast as we'd like it IS happening and the M2 is now usable as a dashcam with more potential to come. Time proves all things and humans are impatient. It's a tough world out here but keep the faith and keep going- I think your path is right even if the progress is slow.

Phil

What I call a sad state is how you attack us regardless. You really are incredibly angry - after your last outburst I got PMs from 13 different people regarding what you said - none of them were on your side. I'm not going to react as there are so many sad things about your reaction. It's genuinely disheartening that you even focus on me - I'm evidently doing something right if you cannot stop putting JooVuu X down.

But the saddest thing of them all I think is this. You take for granted your community, you take for granted how far the community has helped your Mobius. People on this forum have painstakinly tested and reported, and your grattitude to them is to represent the Mobius in a derrogatory way, lash out, and go after people. Peter on the other hand is a top bloke. When I met Peter he was nothing short of a gentlemen - he personally met me and my girlfriend at the station, and then took us out for one of the best meals I have ever had. He then drove us to our next appointment. The driving must have been over 3.5hs in total and throughout that time we were always talking. I do not have a bad word to say about Peter as he represents Mobius how it should be - you don't.

Come after me yet again, I admit, I haven't been the best - but let me reiterate - I'm 26 and studied Politics at University (I graduated in 2013) so I'm still pretty new to this whole business thing. You on the other hand are NOT 26 and have been in this game far longer than most people have been on these forums. Yet you still haven't acknowledged or improved. I love feedback, yes we have let people down, and yes - i'll make it up to them, i'll right that wrong. We gave all of our customers a free CPL filter and I'll do whatever I can to fix problems. So yes, I've been a d***, I've made bad mistakes, and I'll probably make more in the future, but I've grown up, I've listened, and I'm learning, I really hope you start to.

Also I figure you're going to attack me/my achievements (I'm 26 so I'm still full of energy and boundless optimism) - so to change this up as it's getting rather boring - you're a computer person, what about releasing an 'easter egg' in the next mSetup software that if you click 3 times on a random button - a gif pops up of someone being kicked in the balls (https://media3.giphy.com/media/BKqoHeHlbcRvW/200_s.gif) and a caption saying: THIS IS WHAT WE THINK OF JOOVUU X/DAN/ANYONE WHO DARES TO QUESTION MOBIUS. This would be far funnier, more constructive, and tbf - even I'd have to get onboard with that.

Have a great day!
I have never insulted you, but you seem to take great pleasure in personally insulting me. You delete other people's posts you don't like on your site. What a great censorship. So be it. I'm well over this childish behavior.
My post simply defended, in my opinion, a statement that I don't consider correct. And I stand behind what I posted. In case evidence is required, any video is better than no video at all. For me, reliability is by far the most important factor.

I did not insult anyone or even mentioned any other cameras in my post, let alone the Joovuu X, but you try and discredit me whenever you can. What's wrong with you?

One thing you can certainly do very well is advertising, and you have a great site too. Now, that is meant as a compliment. Your Mobius waterproof case was also excellent, despite some criticism from others.

May I kindly ask you not to try and scare people into not posting what they think. Although I'm not associated with the Mobius in anyway, I know what a great product it is. If someone posts something that I don't believe is correct I will post about it, just like you do on your site to try and defend your product. What's wrong with that?

Using the OTG adaptor and USB cable that work flawlessly with my M1, I'm unable to get OTG working with the M2. The M2 doesn't turn on. As the battery is still inside, I tried connecting after powering it ON but it still doesn't work. (The phone had enough charge and the M1 connected without any hiccups.)

Is there a different procedure to connect the M2?

Using the OTG adaptor and USB cable that work flawlessly with my M1, I'm unable to get OTG working with the M2. The M2 doesn't turn on. As the battery is still inside, I tried connecting after powering it ON but it still doesn't work. (The phone had enough charge and the M1 connected without any hiccups.)

Is there a different procedure to connect the M2?
If the M2 is turned on and you then connect to your Android device using the OTG cable the camera should be visible as normal using the standard parameters.
How long is your cable? You may need a shorter cable.

Back