FOXEER LEGEND 3: 4k/30 Ambarella A12S75 / Sony IMX117 1/2.3 Inch 12MP - ANY GOOD FOR DASHCAM?

Yes. I would like 4K dashcams but preferably with the same level of low light performance as current good cameras.
But it seem like 1080p will have to make do for a good while, and that's alright too, really i dont want 4K anyway if it drop footage on a memory card.

So, L3 first, then JooVuu X.

Both 1080/60, high sharpness.....

I don't think I need to further explain, no?

vlcsnap-2017-05-29-22h11m03s214.png

vlcsnap-2017-05-29-22h11m07s728.png

Hey, even L2 is doing better job.....! :cry:

L3 first, then L2.

vlcsnap-2017-05-30-12h49m54s545.png
vlcsnap-2017-05-30-12h49m48s301.png

Foxeer must get their stuff up to snuff, otherwise Foxeer out.....

Next post will be the night ride, where I will (try to) compare

JooVuu X
Mobius (1) with C2 lens without IR filter
L2
L3

Don't touch that dial folks!

taz61dp.gif

Last edited:
Night shots (taken from video, stationairy from our appartment):

L3 1080P/120 (I tried 60 and 30 as well, 60 same as 120, 30 only slightly brighter)

vlcsnap-2017-05-30-16h19m05s152.png

L2 1080p/60

vlcsnap-2017-05-30-16h17m42s259.png

JooVuu X 1080P/60

vlcsnap-2017-05-30-16h21m30s712.png

As you can see JooVuu ftw, and I can NOT get date/time stamp back in L3 video's...

Last edited:
JooVuu was designed from the start this way. Mobius did have to alter the circuit to make caps workable, but they did this early in production- the oldest versions of Mobius can't use the cap conversion while most versions can. From my understanding it is not a tough thing to do for a manufacturer which is why I can't understand that it's not happening :(

Phil

I only now realised that I have swapped my battery for supercaps in my JooVuu X, but I already put back the battery into the JooVuu, since I kept losing date/time in the JooVuu if I use the supercaps....

So, supercaps seem to not always be the best choice......

I have a first generation V1 pcb Mobius that works fine with super-capacitors.

Altough my Mobius 1 is V3 board it never misses a beat, and date/time are never lost.....

PS: I have [ADDED] some points to the 2st post in this thread.

I dont think L3 are OOF, but it use a slower exposure and so things moving have more motion blur.

Perhaps their code miss.

If low light, ramp up ISO before lower exposure.

It seems the left side is out of focus on L3?

It's NOT out of focus, it's definitely motion blur.

I checked, standing still gets sharp image.

I dont think L3 are OOF, but it use a slower exposure and so things moving have more motion blur.

Perhaps their code miss.

If low light, ramp up ISO before lower exposure.

I believe Max ISO is 1600 or 3200, I asked but got no answer yet.

In the menu settings we can set maximum ISO to 1600. But, in auto mode the ISO should be 3200, but I have no documentation or proof for it.

Besides, I made my night ride yesterday like I promised in earlier post.

YT uploads somewhere this week, maybe weekend. Keep checking.

I can tell you guys that although L2 seems to do better in daylight, the L3 is better in night recordings, but JooVuu X outruns the L3 by a landslide.....

I had a strange thing today, although I had set looping to 3 minutes, and CarDV mode ON, the recording stopped at some point with a "FULL" message.

I could NOT turn of the camera with any button, nor could I change settings.

Also WiFi did not work anymore.

So I let the battery run dead, camera shut down, I rebooted and it started recording again.... Looping now Only in the current directory. Like I said before, this is NOT desirable for dashcam use.

I have requested to change the file storage "philosophy". We need the files to ALL be stored in the SAME directory.

I have been talking to Foxeer about the issues, and here's some of my conclusions:

The image quality is much too SOFT, and close objects in motion show too much motion blur. I'm sure it has somethng to do with the idea that this camera is built with RC fly-filming in mind, just to give the flyboys a nice overall fluent motion image. But for dashcam use it needs to be better.

You can view examples of comparison with other dash cams in the this forum thread.

We need to READ license plates of moving cars. If L3 can not do that, then the camera is unfit for this purpose.

This nice little camera has great potential, but Foxeer has not (yet) reached the full use of the great hardware. There are many other things I mentioned about the camera, and I must admit that I am not very impressed for CarDV use. There are just TOO MANY things SERIOUSLY WRONG with the F/W design of this camera that needs to be fixed.

Please understand, I am in no way an IT engineer of any kind, just a user talking about what my findings are. Foxeer is doing great job, but needs to take a different look at CarDV use for this camera.

Most important for the CarDV user is in my opinion:

- Image quality (high sharpness, eliminate motion blur)

- Better night recording. Yes,it is better than L2, but still far behind compared to other dash cams.

- File names: YYYYMMDD-hhmm.MP4 (year/month/date-hour-minute.MP4)

- use 24hr format, not 12hr

- File storage: store ALL files in one directory, like L2, Mobius, Joovuu and EVERYBODY else!

- Reliabillity: Make SURE the camera can't freeze, it has NO reset button!

I am sure for the RC flyboys this is a nice camera, but even in that respect I believe 150.00 USD is too expensive at this point of development.

@FOXEER: Please consider these findings and try to improve the CarDV use of the camera.

Yesterday the camera stopped recording saying "FULL". This is a BUG because I have LOOP set to 3 minutes and CarDV set to ON. So it should overwrite the oldest files.

Then I tried to shut the camera down, I pressed the power button, but it was not able to shut down. I could switch to photo mode and settings mode, but could not enter the settings menu on the camera. Also through Wifi the camera settings were unreachable.

My thoughts are the camera freezed. But there is NO RESET BUTTON (at least I didn't find one)!

I.m.h.o. that is a FATAL FLAW for this type of camera's.

Anyway, I let the camera run down the battery, and plugged it in again to USB power. It then asked me to RESET. I choose YES, and it said FAIL.

BUT, it started recording again ...... !

However the files were ONLY overwritten in the current directory for this date. I said it before and I say it now again, this is a fundamental flaw in the CarDV design.

At this point I can't really advise it (yet) for CarDV use.

Night ride with the L3:

Just to satisfy you're curiosity, here's the same ride with:

JooVuu X, and Mobius C2 lens (NO IR FILTER) in B/W.

Last edited:
Well, now that I've satisfied my curiousity, I'm selling my L3

It's obviously really more usefull for RC fly recordings.

If you're interested, PM me.

Yeah, still unbeaten for night recordings.....

What'd you think of the B/W....?

The sensor of the mobius are not really that light sensetive, at least compared to newer sensore, or back in the day compared to analog cctv cameras.

With a ir pass lens on the mobius i had to use pretty strong IR light to be able to see anything thru all the glass of my rifle scope, and if i cnhanged from the min 6X zoom to 24 X then the picture just got black.
Doing the same with a 700 TVL sony effio E bord camera the IR light passing thru the scope was much better and stepping up to 24X zoom was no problem at all.
The same was the case with a range of other cameras i have tried to use this way, so lately i only had good results with the IMX 185 IP camera.
And i did get that IP camera for scope use, but it never got around to store footage on the onbord SD slot in any format i could play on the computer.

I have not tried any IMX 291 camera in this use as i cant do that due to my obligations in regard to any IMX 291 product i have in my possession.

BUT ! i will try that down the line when i feel my obligations lesser as products mature.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
susobarral Foxeer 1
dirkzelf Foxeer 22
susobarral Foxeer 26
Back