Parking lot accident

Borg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A119
Caught an accident at noon today (no sound). Two dummies not paying attention. From what I saw, the van didn't bother to stop when he should have and the brown car should have seen it coming. I called the cops and they said that they don't get involved in parking lot accidents on private property. I did take the phone number of the driver of the brown car because it seemed that he had the right of way. I'll call him later and send him a link to the video for his insurance company.

Last edited:
it was a preventable accident by both parties regardless of right away, though I agree with you the brown car did have a right away. It almost seems the brown car was some somewhat distracted as before the accident, as if he was juggling something. Didn't have full control of his car.

Last edited:
WTG sharing footage, that's the least we dashcam owners can do, and hopefully that will prompt more people to get a dashcam.

One can only wonder how such slow speed accidents can happen, and also why some people getting out of a parking bay cant use the whole throw of their steering and by doing that only have to reverse one time.

it was a preventable accident by both parties regardless of right away, though I agree with you the brown car did have a right away. It almost seems the brown car was some somewhat distracted as before the accident, as if he was juggling something. Didn't have full control of his car.
The brown car was driven by the older Asian guy who was seen using my windshield to write his number on a piece of paper after the accident. He didn't seem like he had very good reflexes but I would have had a tough time catching someone coming at me the way the van did. I think that the van was partially blocked by the window pillar for the driver of the brown car. I killed the sound but the van driver was adament that the brown car hit him. The van never stopped and if he had looked to his right, he would have seen the other car. Just another "me first" douche whose poor driving finally caught up with him.

I have had problems with wide pillar with My Rav4 that I never had with my smaller older cars that I have drove. Particularalry with pedestrians at intersections to my left, I just don't know they they are there as my left vision is somewhat obstructed. Parking lots are a free for all and I slow down at what could be a change in the set of lanes to ensure I can see every thing and that I know what drivers in opposite or side traffic are doing.

I have had problems with wide pillar with My Rav4 that I never had with my smaller older cars that I have drove. Particularalry with pedestrians at intersections to my left, I just don't know they they are there as my left vision is somewhat obstructed. Parking lots are a free for all and I slow down at what could be a change in the set of lanes to ensure I can see every thing and that I know what drivers in opposite or side traffic are doing.

I almost drove right at a pedestrian in my work parking lot while making a left turn two weeks ago. She was obstructed on my left A pillar. The worse part is that I'm Asian too, so it looked like I can't drive :D

This car is like mine.
2006_HONDA_ACCORD_EX_COUPE_V6_Automatic_630fe1739ac6fafe0196_1.jpg

I almost drove right at a pedestrian in my work parking lot while making a left turn two weeks ago. She was obstructed on my left A pillar. The worse part is that I'm Asian too, so it looked like I can't drive :D

I am white, and overlooked an Asian at an intersection.

Good thing she started to pickup the pace when I was started the turn the wheel. Never saw her when I slowed down for a stop on the red, never saw her approach the street corner, but she and no other pedestrians. I never had this problem with my left being obstructed before, but I now move my head around and take closer attention to street corner to my left.

Car parks are full of surprises. Peds obliviously walking behind you while you are reversing (see start of this video), people pulling out without warning, and just about nobody takes any notice of speed limits. You have to be on your toes, but this accident was just ... weird. The black van did brake but then seemed to accelerate.

Technically the brown car did hit the black van. But that isn't the point. The car had the option of a straight run. The van was heading towards painted lines and had to make turns. Effectively the van was entering the main 'road' from a side 'road' and the sensible behaviour is to give way to traffic on the straight path.

If they didn't see each other, they weren't paying enough attention. You have to assume pedestrians will do their usual dumb stuff in car parks. If you're watching for pedestrians you should be able to see a vehicle!!!

Technically the brown car did hit the black van.
I don't understand that. They collided at nearly the same point on their vehicles. Are you saying that if a car can somehow present the side of their car into a traffic lane that the other car 'technically' hit it?

Well, at least they were both in marked 'traffic' lanes, and not one or both cutting accross empty parking spaces. :)

No reason for this to happen. Both not paying attention,both probably assuming the other would yield if they saw them.

Shopping center and mall parking lots are zoos.

I called the driver of the car this morning and gave them the link to the video for their insurance company. I don't know if the insurance company will even care but, if it helps them to avoid being seen as at fault, that would be great.

Last edited:
People always drive crazy in that shopping center. I you want to go left at the wine store (last in the clip) you have to be fast. If you leave a little distance to the car in the front, people will squeeze them in that hole. The green light is short, so not many cars get out in a green period.
There is a Trader Joe in the bind hind the car at the start of the clip and lot people like to shop there, maybe the old guy got to much free coffee there and got in hurry.

Across the street there is another shopping center. One time I saw an old lady (must be B... with that language) and she shouted ":finger:" to a cop. She got a free ride in the back of his car.

Here is a map over the place.

Overhead view of the scene.

Accident2.jpg

X - accident location
1 - Van
2 - Car
3 - Me

There is a traffic light at the top left of the lot which is the only way to turn left from the parking lot and the lower exit only allows right turns. I think that the van driver was trying to drive straight across and slip over to catch the aisle that would get him to the light and believed that he didn't have even stop. You can see that there is an aisle directly in front of him that makes it clear that he isn't on a through road and should stop to check traffic.

I don't understand that. They collided at nearly the same point on their vehicles. Are you saying that if a car can somehow present the side of their car into a traffic lane that the other car 'technically' hit it?
Yes, that sums it up.
All other things being equal, the person who gets hit to the side must have been in that location first and can claim to have had priority by virtue of being there first. As you say, the van driver was trying to play this card.

But all other things were not equal. The problem is that insurance companies will not always check the details, and just go with these simplistic rules.

It's a bit like saying that if one car drives into the back of another, the car behind is always to blame. It is often true, but not always.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

People always drive crazy in that shopping center. I you want to go left at the wine store (last in the clip) you have to be fast. If you leave a little distance to the car in the front, people will squeeze them in that hole. The green light is short, so not many cars get out in a green period.
That's why I use the exit at the bottom to turn right. Everyone heads for the traffic light but traffic is much lighter at the lower exit.
Here is a map over the place.
lol. We were posting the same thing at the same time.

I called the driver of the car this morning and gave them the link to the video for their insurance company. I don't know if the insurance company will even care but, if it helps them to avoid being seen as at fault, that would be great.

WELL DONE (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Phil

Those pillars are getting larger / wider all the time ...
One reason being more airbags .. My brothers Toyota has massive pillars because of the airbags that live there ..
Just means one needs to be more careful ...
My car has a horrendous rear end , Cant see jack compared to the car before that which had excellent all round vision . ( Why I put in a reversing camera )
The boot is too high , the pillars to massive and the side windows poorly designed ..
Welcome to modern aerodynamic / safe cars ..

I spoke with the owner of the brown car this morning to confirm that they were able to view the video. He said that he was able to and that they passed the link to the insurance company. Based on the video, the insurance adjustor stated that they consider the van driver to be at fault.

I spoke with the owner of the brown car this morning to confirm that they were able to view the video. He said that he was able to and that they passed the link to the insurance company. Based on the video, the insurance adjustor stated that they consider the van driver to be at fault.

And they would be correct. Definitely the Black Vans fault. Neither were looking at the other vehicle ... so both were hopeless. Knew that from the hopoff when waiting for the light Car to reverse out of parking space ... hopeless there so knew that Turkey was going to be involved in the prang.

Back
Top Bottom