FOXEER LEGEND 3: 4k/30 Ambarella A12S75 / Sony IMX117 1/2.3 Inch 12MP - ANY GOOD FOR DASHCAM?

Schermopname (1223).png Schermopname (1221).pngSchermopname (1225).png Schermopname (1224).png

Last edited:
OK, I received f/w 1.3 with "slow motion function and enhanced low light function", so I took it out the box once more (probably going to sell it... PM me for details) and then made some screenshots from night recordings right of my appartment (with low light function ON), and compared it with my JooVuu X, cause that's the best one I have for night recordings until now.

I need to mention the video's in 1080/30 - 4K30 show a LOT of MOTION BLURR, the 1080/60 is fluent but way too dark.

Foxeer L3 1080p/30

vlcsnap-2017-06-14-23h43m30s202.png

Foxeer L3 1080p/60

vlcsnap-2017-06-14-23h45m41s198.png

Foxeer L3 4K/30

vlcsnap-2017-06-14-23h47m13s196.png

Joovuu X 1080p/30

vlcsnap-2017-06-14-23h50m38s756.png

Video's with V1.2 firmware:

(The EIS, electronic image stabilasation, is working nicely... but only 1080p!)

hey thanks for the videos

how would you say your opinion of this camera overall for action camera use?

do you feel that firmware support is tolerable -- in terms of fixing bugs or image quality, as opposed to adding features?

thanks

hey thanks for the videos

how would you say your opinion of this camera overall for action camera use?

do you feel that firmware support is tolerable -- in terms of fixing bugs or image quality, as opposed to adding features?

thanks

Well, from what you can read in this thread, is that the LOW LIGHT performance is under par. It should do much better, considering the hardware, so having said that, the camera itself has good potential, hardwarewise, and everything works ok, let alone a few details, like time/date stamp doesn't work flawlessly, but those are just f/w bugs.

From my experience with L2, Foxeer does try to come up with bugfixes quickly, but this camera is more complex, it has Ambarella components, and from what I've heared, Ambarella does not share information very easy, not even with guys like Foxeer. Don't know why, but Amarella equipped camera's seem more difficult to get things completely right.

Anyway, Foxeer is not deaf to its customers, but don't expect wonderworks in the support area .....

Appreciate the response.

I think I will pick up the Box. I was apprehensive because of situation re RunCam and GoPro, but I don't believe Foxeer has any offices in USA so I don't think anything will come of it.

It seems not so good compared to other Ambarella cameras, but is from same develop team, I thought the lens is not same.

might just be really convincing marketing, but supposedly they spent a lot of time and energy on the lens.

New FW V_1.3 for Legend 3
Upgraded points:
1. Add Slow Motion fuction.
2. Add Auto Lowlight fuction.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6psjohi03qfvik0/LEGEND3_V1.3_20170614_UPGRADE.zip?dl=0

This f/w has been there since some 6 weeks or so, and as you can see in the examples, it's not good enough for night recordings.... Otherwise I like the camera....

I've sold mine to a flyboy, doesn't fly at night anyway.

And I bought me a Runcam Split..... Yeah.. Should land soon, and I can't wait trying this thing everybody screems halleluja about..... Already got a box for it, so cheap, so simple you'd probably lypo..... Hahaha

For night recording, maybe worth waiting GitUp F1?
Attached is F1 compare with other Ambarella A12 camera.
Of course, more brighter, more noise.
F1 testing.jpg

For night recording, maybe worth waiting GitUp F1?
Attached is F1 compare with other Ambarella A12 camera.
Of course, more brighter, more noise.
View attachment 32279

Maybe, but I have the Runcam split on it's way, so first we'll check this one....

Maybe, but I have the Runcam split on it's way, so first we'll check this one....
I thought the split will be the best for low light recording as using 2MP sensor.
I heard they are also working on the IMX117 12MP sensor version.

Yeah, it's interesting to see how that goes. There's a lot going on in this sector...

Disappointing results. Clearly in the day the shutter speed is the issue. At night it's difficult to say as so many more variables, but it looks as if they've kept the electronic gain lower to avoid grain but at the expense of low light performance. The f2.8 lens is also going to restrict night performance somewhat.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
susobarral Foxeer 1
dirkzelf Foxeer 22
susobarral Foxeer 26
Back