Removing A frame cover and headliner trim?

This isn't the exact clip I was talking about but you get the idea.
Blue arrow points to a release button.

View attachment 32345
I've seen them before, put y shape tool under the very top piece, apply downward pressure fingers pop open, panel pops off, putting back on replace panel put clip into hole an press till it snaps through second panel hole and snap lock two panels together. I've seen them break from frustrated installers also, usually used on dash panels.

For my rear and side cameras I run the cable under the trim that goes along the rocker panel instead of along the headliner, then I run the cable upwards under the trim in the back.
My camera will be at the top of the rear window, so I best use under the headliner which slopes to the top of rear window.

My camera will be at the top of the rear window, so I best use under the headliner which slopes to the top of rear window.

My camera is at the top of the window too, I just take a different route to get the cable back there that's all. Whatever works best for you is the best method. :)

Edit: I should add that I discovered that it's really easy to press the cable under the rocker panel trim without having to remove it. That was one reason for choosing that method.

In my truck, the door gaskets are kind of folded over so that you can literally just get your finger in there. I use a tool to hold the rubber back and press the cable in with my index finger and then run my finger up the gasket until the cable is pressed in all the way. When, it's all done you don't even know there is a cable tucked in behind the gasket except where it emerges at the top of the A pillar and heads into the headliner.
This might be what I'm missing, so you do not get the cable behind the rubber gasket and headliner, your wire is just under the rubber edge of your rubber door gasket? is this right?

I work at the plant where the Tacoma's are built, they install the A pillar trim before the windshields are installed. They actually pull them on from the outside, then pop them with the palm of their hand to make sure they are fully inserted.
Oh, and before the door opening weatherstrip is installed also.

Last edited:
For my rear and side cameras I run the cable under the trim that goes along the rocker panel instead of along the headliner, then I run the cable upwards under the trim in the back.
Exactly how I installed the wiring for the rear camera in my vehicle. Nice neat and clean.

@Lola you have to use sufficient force with your hand and that plastic cover will snap out. Open the door and pull the rubber gasket towards you and it will pull away from the body. Goes back on by lining up and pushing back.

I better have another look at the situation on my truck to see if it is like what you are saying, I'm really not sure at this point. I understand what you are saying but I think mine is different, or there is a good chance it is me. snapping out he A pillar was easy, but now I'm not sure about how the rubber along the edge of the headliner is connected, if it's like you have just explained, then that will solve the problem, but I don't think it is. It will have to be tomorrow though. I will let everyone know tomorrow.
I have to learn how dashmellow makes these drawings and posts them so quickly, that is a great technique for explaining things.

I better have another look at the situation on my truck to see if it is like what you are saying, I'm really not sure at this point. I understand what you are saying but I think mine is different, or there is a good chance it is me. snapping out he A pillar was easy, but now I'm not sure about how the rubber along the edge of the headliner is connected, if it's like you have just explained, then that will solve the problem, but I don't think it is. It will have to be tomorrow though. I will let everyone know tomorrow.

Your truck is older, so it might be different.

I have to learn how dashmellow makes these drawings and posts them so quickly, that is a great technique for explaining things.

Long time Photoshop guy who has worked under short deadlines, like when I did pre-press and graphics for a printing company. :)

Last edited:
Exactly how I installed the wiring for the rear camera in my vehicle. Nice neat and clean.

That trim tool that came with my SG9665GC is perfect for pressing the cable(s) under the rocker panel trim without having to remove it. The cable comes back out easily too, if necessary. The trim tool is my favorite "throw in" that comes with the GC.

That trim tool that came with my SG9665GC is perfect for pressing the cable(s) under the rocker panel trim without having to remove it. The cable comes back out easily too, if necessary. The trim tool is my favorite "throw in" that comes with the GC.

glad you find it useful, doesn't cost us a lot to add that in the box and I think it's a useful thing to have in the toolbox when you're done

glad you find it useful, doesn't cost us a lot to add that in the box and I think it's a useful thing to have in the toolbox when you're done
They are very useful, and they simply look good unlike those cheap ones you buy at places like Harbor Freight. I have used them working with vinyl soffit repairs as well.

You get a lot of points @Lola for getting in there and giving it a go. :)

and no hot wires will burn my baby to the ground, :cool: I just hate it when that happens!

Yeah, me too. Especially if it takes a perfectly good dashcam with it, No "Toasted Tacoma" please :D

With today's cars you can usually route smaller wires by tucking them in rather than removing the trim. That also keeps them clear of side airbags which have gotten rather commonplace. It can also help to hold the wire along the route you have planned to see if it will be long enough before you begin installing it.

Nothing brings smiles better than a good plan working and nothing is more frustrating than a plan which doesn't work :rolleyes:

Phil

Sorry for my late reply.

First gen Tacoma (pre-2005) is completely different in terms of trim compared to the 2nd gen. If there's a grab handle on the A-pillar, it makes it easy, but not many of them have it from what i remember. No first gens have curtain airbags so that simplifies things.

Someone posted a pic of a white clip and said there's a release button on top. There is not a button on that kind of clip. You just need to pry those out of the body of the truck using a V-shaped tool, then slide the clip into the corresponding U-slot on the plastic trim cover. There are usually 2 or 3 of these clips in a typical Toyota A-pillar trim. To reinstall, just gently snap these clips back into the holes on the body. I'd take a photo of a similar trim clip on my car if I wasn't out of town right now.

As for the rubber weatherstrip on the body, it's very narrow on gen1 Tacoma compared to 2005+, and depending on which cab you have (single, extended, quad, and maybe whether it's a prerunner or not) it may not actually go over the edge of the headliner or dashboard (as pictured earlier) at all. They kept it simple on earlier trucks. Either way though, if you do pull the weatherstrip down off the body, take it slow. Toyota often used a really tacky black tar-type adhesive that stretches into thin threads and makes a heck of a mess. It's just about impossible to get out of the headliner or seats, and not easy to get off your hands either. Just take it slow and you'll be fine though.

Sorry for my late reply.

First gen Tacoma (pre-2005) is completely different in terms of trim compared to the 2nd gen. If there's a grab handle on the A-pillar, it makes it easy, but not many of them have it from what i remember. No first gens have curtain airbags so that simplifies things.

Someone posted a pic of a white clip and said there's a release button on top. There is not a button on that kind of clip. You just need to pry those out of the body of the truck using a V-shaped tool, then slide the clip into the corresponding U-slot on the plastic trim cover. There are usually 2 or 3 of these clips in a typical Toyota A-pillar trim. To reinstall, just gently snap these clips back into the holes on the body. I'd take a photo of a similar trim clip on my car if I wasn't out of town right now.

As for the rubber weatherstrip on the body, it's very narrow on gen1 Tacoma compared to 2005+, and depending on which cab you have (single, extended, quad, and maybe whether it's a prerunner or not) it may not actually go over the edge of the headliner or dashboard (as pictured earlier) at all. They kept it simple on earlier trucks. Either way though, if you do pull the weatherstrip down off the body, take it slow. Toyota often used a really tacky black tar-type adhesive that stretches into thin threads and makes a heck of a mess. It's just about impossible to get out of the headliner or seats, and not easy to get off your hands either. Just take it slow and you'll be fine though.

Thanks Gibson, you know your 1st generation well. I am feeling bad today and can't go out to the truck. However, I understand basically what you say. My truck is a 2001 Tacoma Deluxe Extended cab, Auto trans, V6, 4 wheel drive, electric windows and doors. Soon as this humidity comes down I am giving it a go, I had a tremendous rain storm come through Friday afternoon! I like doing my own work on vehicles, but if I find I can't, I'll have it done.
As for the A pillar on the drivers side, no grab bar. I just used a trim tool that pried on the top a little and it poped loose. Didn't pull it all the way off, wanted to talk to you guys first. Not sure if there were any type of clips on it or not, but the way it felt coming loose it just seemed like a compression fit.
I didn't know the rubber trim alongside the headliner was glued as you say (Thanks), that would explain why I was not getting anywhere prying it towards the inside of the truck.

Last edited:
Back