Mini-xxxx redesign concept?

Doesn't need to be "huge" at all. Some of the dash cams and other small cameras I've owned use a small threaded brass or steel insert similar to these embedded in a cavity molded into the housing.
Yes, the Gitup G3 (Git3) has one of them built in, but that has more space.

Looks like it'll slide into a mounting bracket/sleeve, like the Mobius 1. :)
Good observation :)

Those little inserts hardly take up any room. Hardly what you characterized as "a huge screw thread".

My preference would certainly be a built-in threaded mount. A cradle mount would be fine too.

Last edited:
Looks like it'll slide into a mounting bracket/sleeve, like the Mobius 1. :)
Yes, you are right.
The battery is in the bottom side, no space to add this on the camera itself. The bracket is standard accessory.

On the 1/4-20 threaded mount, it's an easy job to epoxy a nut of that size to nearly anything, and on something as light as a cam it would hold up to anything which the cam could survive ;) I'm a huge believer in form following function as long as nothing important is lost in that process. It's obvious that tiny cams are possible and that nearly any shape is possible. We've got small match-box, tubular, cubic, and disc-shaped cams already (y) So the problem is really this: making a really good cam in those form-factors. Another possibility which I haven't seen explored yet would be a credit-card form-factor; thin and flat with as short a lens/sensor as is possible. The whole card could fold to 90 degrees making mounting possible anywhere.

We've got 2 out of 4 which are good now (Mobius and WR-1) and that F1 has it's appeal too. It makes little sense to have a huge box in your window when a smaller one does equally well so I see these tiny cams making the others rapidly obsolete once their performance becomes equal or better. It's getting there :) Remote lens cams will eventually take the permanent install markets but many will still want removable cams. The future belongs to those who have the vision to see what can be done with it then make it happen before anyone else does. Those who move too slowly or who cling to outdated concepts will fail or fade away :(

Revising the Mini is a good exercise in thought but it is a cam whose time is coming to an end, same as the wedge-cams and the brick-on-a-stick cams. Kind of like my old GE P-780 radio, arguably the best portable AM broadcast band receiver ever made, there's just not much left to listen to on it and now everyone uses tiny devices to listen to their music on instead. It is still useful but it's totally obsolete for it's designed purposes and nobody would buy it today for that purpose at any price so there's no point in improving it even though that is now possible. I still love it though :D

Phil

On the 1/4-20 threaded mount, it's an easy job to epoxy a nut of that size to nearly anything, and on something as light as a cam it would hold up to anything which the cam could survive ;) I'm a huge believer in form following function as long as nothing important is lost in that process. It's obvious that tiny cams are possible and that nearly any shape is possible. We've got small match-box, tubular, cubic, and disc-shaped cams already (y) So the problem is really this: making a really good cam in those form-factors. Another possibility which I haven't seen explored yet would be a credit-card form-factor; thin and flat with as short a lens/sensor as is possible. The whole card could fold to 90 degrees making mounting possible anywhere.

We've got 2 out of 4 which are good now (Mobius and WR-1) and that F1 has it's appeal too. It makes little sense to have a huge box in your window when a smaller one does equally well so I see these tiny cams making the others rapidly obsolete once their performance becomes equal or better. It's getting there :) Remote lens cams will eventually take the permanent install markets but many will still want removable cams. The future belongs to those who have the vision to see what can be done with it then make it happen before anyone else does. Those who move too slowly or who cling to outdated concepts will fail or fade away :(

Revising the Mini is a good exercise in thought but it is a cam whose time is coming to an end, same as the wedge-cams and the brick-on-a-stick cams. Kind of like my old GE P-780 radio, arguably the best portable AM broadcast band receiver ever made, there's just not much left to listen to on it and now everyone uses tiny devices to listen to their music on instead. It is still useful but it's totally obsolete for it's designed purposes and nobody would buy it today for that purpose at any price so there's no point in improving it even though that is now possible. I still love it though :D

Phil
I still like the mini design, its low height does fit my car nicely, but I think the wedge cameras are better for current car designs and I would really prefer a camera with two remote sensors since the remote sensors are a lot smaller and easier to mount. I also like the mini 0906 remote control, it puts the buttons on the dash where they should be instead of behind the mirror where they are difficult to use.

The F1 however is not much bigger than a 0906 remote sensor and from the front looks smaller, plus it does real 4K. Not so good in the dark but I think it may become popular as a second front camera for daytime 4K use or for making holiday videos.

As for the 1/4-20 threaded mount, the F1's clip in mount sorts that issue nicely, no need for epoxy, and not having it on the camera itself has left a perfectly flat bottom surface, maybe ideal for mounting via Velcro in places where there is minimal space or where you want to minimise the aerodynamic effect. The thread on the bottom of the mount does actually look quite big relative to the size of the camera.

I am looking forward to see more of that F1 camera from Gitup, not least pictures comparing it to something we all know the size of and can relate to.

That being said the SJcams micro version of their current cameras are quite small too ;)
IMG_20170729_213321[1]_big_thumb.jpg

yeah thats what i figure too judging by what i can make out of that pic of the F1.

But the micro SJ7 star i shouldent have released that picture off, maybe SJcams will be angry with me now.

similar size to the Joovuu X
The main body of the X without the lens is longer than the whole F1, the X is also a little wider.

That being said the SJcams micro version of their current cameras are quite small too ;)
IMG_20170729_213321[1]_big_thumb.jpg
Is that a real photo? It appears to be a front panel floating on air and a very black fake lens!

Yes, you are right.
The battery is in the bottom side, no space to add this on the camera itself. The bracket is standard accessory.

Any plans for a capacitor version, how well does it handle ambient and operational heat?

Thats the real deal in the picture, no photoshop as i dont have it and wouldn't even know where to begin with it

I have a lighter that's 3 - 4 X the size of this green lighter, but that one dont look like this regular disposeable lighters so it would have given away the big lighter at once.
IMG_20170730_003019[1]_big_thumb.jpg

All the pictures are 12 mpix strait from my phone, so what you see is what you get with the camera in my phone that is.

Any plans for a capacitor version, how well does it handle ambient and operational heat?
With it being 4K and having an Amberella processor it is certain to be hot, it is going to be interesting to see how it handles real life use.

That photo already has 15,428 facebook likes, a very hot product :cool: :eek:

Last edited:
Make me pant a little too as a fan of unconventional shaped cameras for action and even the car.

The Sj7 Star can get almighty hot, but i never had it thermal shut down on me.

If dash cameras were designed and built more like CCTV cameras which are hermetically sealed and sit in the blazing hot sun all day, heat would be less of a problem. Today's CCTV cameras are built with many of the same sensors and DSPs as those used in dash cams. Unlike dash cams, they run 24/7.
cctv.jpg

Last edited:
Back