Mini-xxxx redesign concept?

why have no one taken the barrel shaped camera and put the lens on the end of the barrel instead of the middle of the side.

Maybe not on a barrel shaped, but the lens is a the end.

81-97wuLAAL._SX355_.jpg

Another thing i dont get in regard to dashcams, why have no one taken the barrel shaped camera and put the lens on the end of the barrel instead of the middle of the side.
That way the footprint of the camera could be much smaller, and for housing you could just use sawed off ALU tubing with some plastic end caps, and a plastic frame to hold the PCBs inside the tube.

But a lot of things that seem easy to me i have found are not actually so easy to make.

I know there have been some action cams like you describe, like the Contour. I guess that was basically the idea behind my DIY Mobius Tube cam as well.

contour.png

I just remembered the FineVu CR-500HD, which was also a barrel shaped camera with the lens on one end.
finevu.jpg

I had one of these a while back, nicknamed the "female sex toy" camera.

Rollei-Bullet-HD-Action-Camera_1.jpg

it actually used a 8 mm thread lens like the innovv C1 also did.
Not being able to afford a contour camera i got the Rollei camera, still like it but would like to see it even smaller as it was after all 1" diameter and 3 - 4 " long, but it did have a replaceable battery.

Another thing i dont get in regard to dashcams, why have no one taken the barrel shaped camera and put the lens on the end of the barrel instead of the middle of the side.
That way the footprint of the camera could be much smaller, and for housing you could just use sawed off ALU tubing with some plastic end caps, and a plastic frame to hold the PCBs inside the tube.
Look at the slave camera on the Gitup G3, a dashcam mounted under the dash with two of those slaves and the controls mounted on the dash like our mini 0906 remote control would be very good.

It even comes with an altazimuth mount :D (it rotates and tilts, also provides adjustment for distance from the glass), also has a tripod screw on the barrel :

20280488_1469164933148784_7585398867236061794_o.jpg

Last edited:
Can the image from the slave camera be rotated 180º so as to be mountable at the top of the windscreen? Without that capability it would be fairly useless as a dash cam.

Some years back ( in the 90ties ) a single Swedish moose swam over and landed on the East coast of Zeeland north of Copenhagen, as i recall it swam back again.
I would expect it to be too warm for moose, especially with global warming, they should be moving north as many animals are in the UK.

Can the image from the slave camera be rotated 180º so as to be mountable at the top of the windscreen? Without that capability it would be fairly useless as a dash cam.
With the mount shown you can rotate the camera to any angle you like!

At the moment the firmware only allows digital rotation of the main camera, not sure if there are plans to add rotation for the slave, would be useful if using the tripod mount upside down.

At the moment the firmware only allows digital rotation of the main camera, not sure if there are plans to add rotation for the slave, would be useful if using the tripod mount upside down.

Seems quite like the Innovv bullet remote cameras which are rotatable.

innov2.png

innovv1.png

Both front and rear camera support rotate upside-down.

I see the Gitup facebook page has an image of the F1 now, a semi-barrel shaped camera ... a 4K dahscam? (maybe only for cooler climates)

20293152_1470961419635802_6209360901950216990_n.jpg

Last edited:
There is a lot that we don't know, maybe we bred them for food! Back 30,000 years ago there were very few humans around so most animals would have had no reason to fear us and may well have wanted to be friends just as is still the case on a few remote islands that have never been inhabited by humans. Also the wild dogs may have been quite different to todays wolves, maybe quarter the size and no threat to human children, maybe they were even more pack hunters than todays wolves and naturally worked well with human hunters just as some animals do today: https://www.sciencealert.com/scient...-african-tribespeople-to-help-them-find-honey . Dogs do like to go for walks with humans and back then humans went walking to hunt, the dogs would naturally have joined in.

Also I'm not convinced that all this DNA evidence is correct since it is based on only the female mitochondrial DNA, especially with cats where our pet females will breed with wild males and we keep the offspring but if our pet males breed with wild females then we don't keep the offspring so they have much less chance of survival - might explain why most British pet cats look almost identical to British wildcats while the DNA says they come from Egypt and are not related to British wildcats!

People will work it out over time, but a lot of it will be student projects with doubtful accuracy so it may take a while to get it right.

Very well said Nigel. When I was young my father and I started having difficulty in communication. So I had to trap animals for their skins/hides to have money for cloths and things. One time I started having trouble with missing animals on my trap line, day after day, so one afternoon I took by best hunting dog on the run of my trap line. First few traps I found a mink missing and the dog took off (he didn't bark on trail) and treed a big cat that I thought was a house cat. I shot it and it turned out to be a house cat that weighed about 15lbs, a little later off went spot again and treed another one that turned out to be a twin of the other cat. They were the ones that had been raiding the trap line, all problems stopped.
Later my mom found out that a lady staying at a local motel had her two cats run away (small cats), then I found out from an old timer that said if regular cats become wild they will grow unusually large like those were, I solid believe that because they were really large!

Interesting design on the F1, looks like a very small head on profile and the other ones dont bother me much

Interesting design on the F1, looks like a very small head on profile and the other ones dont bother me much

yeah I like the design, I saw it back in April when it was still in the engineering phase, probably a bit hard to tell from the pictures but it's quite small also

yeah I like the design, I saw it back in April when it was still in the engineering phase, probably a bit hard to tell from the pictures but it's quite small also
Yes, hard to tell the size from that photo, it looks a lot smaller in pictures from the front, but the size is also a bit deceptive because of all the curves.

Should make a good helmet cam with the small front.

Yes, hard to tell the size from that photo, it looks a lot smaller in pictures from the front, but the size is also a bit deceptive because of all the curves.

Should make a good helmet cam with the small front.

a lot of possibilities with this one

Hope it has a built in 1/4-20 tripod mount.
Too small for a huge screw thread to be built in!

I think you will have to wait for some more photos...

Too small for a huge screw thread to be built in!

I think you will have to wait for some more photos...

Doesn't need to be "huge" at all. Some of the dash cams and other small cameras I've owned use a small threaded brass or steel insert similar to these embedded in a cavity molded into the housing.

insert2.jpg
insert.jpg

Looks like it'll slide into a mounting bracket/sleeve, like the Mobius 1. :)

Back