Garmin VIRB X Timelapse Test Video

D

Deleted member 37895

I got a Garmin VIRB X to use as a dashcam in place of my Garmin 35. The idea is to get a wider view angle plus more storage efficiency from timelapse. I previously used a VIRB Elite as a dashcam but that model isn't meant to run off USB and worked inconsistently. The X and XE are supposed to be USB powered and has some additional features like a wide angle distortion correction.

Here's a videolapse I made today at 2fps (0.5 sec interval) with distortion correction off. The file is 315MB for 24 minutes so an hour would only be about 700MB. My 35 takes 3.6GB for an hour. I added the overlays in the VIRB app. Of course Youtube reduces image quality but not too much

I returned this camera, image quality isn't great and it also shuts down if it gets even slightly warm. Totally unusable as a dashcam

Newer Garmin dash cams also have travelapse mode.

Newer Garmin dash cams also have travelapse mode.
Yes but it sucks. You have no control over the interval and it's based on distance not time. So sitting at a light it captures no frames, and then it varies depending on speed. At 65mph the interval is so big that you don't even capture every vehicle passing

Unfortunately, I don't know of a dash cam that can use time lapse as a regular mode.
This shouldn't be hard to implement by manufacturers (they could just add another mode in resolution menu)
Try asking in one of the more popular forums (SG, Viofo)

For regular Danish highway speeds at 80 km/h i have found ( using action cameras with video lapse ) that 1 frame every second make a too hectic looking result. But i am sure a frame every 0.5 seconds will be fine for 80 Km/h or slower, it might be a little low on a Danish 130 km/h motorway but i rarely drive there and when i do i just make do with the old limit of 110 km/h.

I would not use such a feature for regular driving, but for journey logging it might be fine, at least better than speeding up 30/60 FPS video in post production as that take a while even on my not quite feeble computer.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a dash cam that can use time lapse as a regular mode.
This shouldn't be hard to implement by manufacturers (they could just add another mode in resolution menu)
Try asking in one of the more popular forums (SG, Viofo)

would be easy to do, not sure if there's much demand for it though

I could see a use case for low frame (5fps)
If somebody is doing a lot of city (slow) driving...

I am planning on doing a downtown Aarhus journey video, but i cant speed it up as much as the ones i made on the highway, but i think i have to give it a little speed, or maybe split it up in smaller areas of town.

Just cant do it now as Aarhus international get ****faced week started last Friday, so a lot of culture kronor are put into BS installations in town.
I know one place they build a 8 M tall waterfall out of scaffolding :rolleyes:
"artist" visualization,,,,,,, my dad live just off "camera" to the left
3314065_606_0_0_0_1000_666_2.jpg

I used a VIRB Elite to make 2fps time lapse videos on Oahu when I lived there, but I can't find my Youtube channel. I don't remember what username I used and keyword searching turns up nothing.

2fps is more than enough. Every vehicle is captured and motion is captured. I had it going when my Volvo got hit and you can see clearly what happened and also the lack of any clearly visible "no left turn" sign. The quality was better than the Virb X

Yes very hectic appearance i think, it might be that video lapse are not really suited for journey videos, it look okay when he get out on the freeway and in open country.

A example from my last drive video.
it open country i drive the 80 km/h highway speed, the little towns i pass thru have the default 50 km/h speed limit.
1080/30 speed up so 1 hour drive = 10 - 12 minutes video

Now yours and mine might not have the same speeds and drive distance, but i do feel my 1080 that's speed up are more relaxing to watch where as the video lapse at least at 1 - 2 FPS feel quite hectic to watch.

Looking at google maps it seem like pearl city up to Kawala bay are just a 45 minute drive, and i wold assume the speed limit on the 99 & 83 are sort of the same ballpark as out 80 km/h highway speed limit ( 50 MPH )

So it is not far off from being able to compare the 2 drives as done under same circumstances.

Last edited:
Yes very hectic appearance i think, it might be that video lapse are not really suited for journey videos, it look okay when he get out on the freeway and in open country.

A example from my last drive video.
it open country i drive the 80 km/h highway speed, the little towns i pass thru have the default 50 km/h speed limit.
1080/30 speed up so 1 hour drive = 10 - 12 minutes video

Now yours and mine might not have the same speeds and drive distance, but i do feel my 1080 that's speed up are more relaxing to watch where as the video lapse at least at 1 - 2 FPS feel quite hectic to watch.

You're right, it looks smooth even though it's sped up. 5 fps capture would be good then, too bad it isn't offered by any action camera or dash cam

Yeah the fastest if you like the sj 6 Legend i used for that recording can do in time lapse video are 1 frame every second, i have asked sjcams to put in 0.5 second too though that's only 2 FPS then.

I am not sure if it would ever be the same i am not sure how the video are speed up in my post processing software, and if it just take every 5 frame for the output file or what, or if the in between frames are used in some way to smooth things out.

I will ask Sjcams if we can get 0.25 second too as i cant see it being hard to incorporate in the firmware, to me you just copy the code for the 1 FPS shooting and then just put in 0.5 S and 0.25 S too add those 2 new speed levels.

There i have put the question to sjcams, hopefully they will pick it us so we dont have to spend hours in post production speeding regular video up on the computer, that big drive video session of mine ( a 9 hour drive ) took me more than a week to get up and running due to my pinnacle studio 20 ultimate often crashing or freezing while speeding up the footage.

(...) that big drive video session of mine ( a 9 hour drive ) took me more than a week to get up and running due to my pinnacle studio 20 ultimate often crashing or freezing while speeding up the footage.
Then why don't you use Movie Maker? It takes just a split second to speed up a clip or an entire video, between 1,01x and 64x. :)
The file loading and final rendering processes are what usually take more time but that's to be expected, not speeding up a video. In my Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz dektop, running Win7 Pro 64 bits, the files, which are stored in a 1TB external drive connected to a USB 3.o port, load in real time (a 1 min clip takes 1 min to load) and rendering the files in .WMV takes +/- 3 times the duration of the video (a 10 min video takes around 31 mins to render). I've never tried it in a different computer but probably these processes will be faster in a faster machine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kamkar Action Camera Discussion 11