A119S Optimized Image Quality Firmware

I would not recommend downgrading to V1.01. There have been improvements and bug fixes since then, one being were the camera boot could hang on the Viofo screen. I would rather have some over sharpening than have the camera fail to boot.

I would not recommend downgrading to V1.01. There have been improvements and bug fixes since then, one being were the camera boot could hang on the Viofo screen. I would rather have some over sharpening than have the camera fail to boot.
The primary function for a Dashcam is to record accident evidence, for that always load the newest firmware. Video Fanatics prefer non-distorted imagery.
I agree there has been many A119S improvements since FW1.01 but there has also been disasters such as 1.4 / 1.5 / 1.6. So far the best firmware with least over-sharpening is Beta FW2.0
My daily driver Firmware is v1.01 for non-distorted images, FW1.01 has never once in 7 months failed to start. Others with that issue had corruption/power issues which my other videos solve.
Once VIOFO releases the next two firmware versions everyone should be happy.

We will add the sharpness option in future firmware, working on this now.

We just updated the SDK for A119, after this, will sync the SDK for A119S, then tuning the IQ for A119S, please be patient, thanks for your suggestion.

Regarding the loader, the A119 and A119S loader can not be switched together.
Normally no necessary to load the loader, if need please check the attachment.

Attachments

• LDA119S.zip
    13.8 KB · Views: 72
We will add the sharpness option in future firmware, working on this now.

We just updated the SDK for A119, after this, will sync the SDK for A119S, then tuning the IQ for A119S, please be patient, thanks for your suggestion.

Regarding the loader, the A119 and A119S loader can not be switched together.
Normally no necessary to load the loader, if need please check the attachment.
Thank you for your time and help[emoji4]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The LOADER file VIOFO posted to the Forum Sept.5,2017 - LDA119S.zip is for the A119S and only for owners having serious startup issues. If your Dashcam is working normally and you can access all the settings and video is recorded to the card and looks good you should NOT use the LOADER file.

If your Dashcam is acting odd or frozen it usually is corrupted Firmware requiring a normal FW update. Other times the startup sequence won't begin and is damaged, its the same as the BIOS POST on a computer. The LOADER file is very small and contains the hardware parameters for your Dashcam. You must be 100% sure it matches your Dashcam model either A119 or A119S don't get that wrong.

Flashing a LOADER binary is the same as normal Firmware by remember to un-ZIP (extract) the .BIN file. If your Dashcam won't startup normally and you've ruled out all possible causes such as power source, cables, memory card you should try flashing the LOADER and then the larger FIRMWARE binary file. This is a common issue for A119 owners with corrupt firmware and is successful with no risk, A119S owners its very rare but can solve a strange startup issues, think of it as last resort repair. Remember flashing a LOADER binary is a 2-PART procedure. (( Loader=Part 1 , Firmware =Part 2 ))
Follow the 14-Steps I posted in the text description of my 'How to Update Firmware' video, you'll have to visit my channel to see the text under the video, click to start the video then pause and click 'SHOW MORE' below it to see the long text procedure.

Note: cannot confirm what would happen if you flash update the wrong LOADER binary on your Dashcam ( use LDA119 on A119S dashcam) but you could BRICK the dashcam leaving it useless. Best case, you just re-flash with correct LOADER.

Browse all BCHobbyist WorkShop videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bchobbyist

viofo

You can make the bitrate constant?, To increase to 20. 28. 36. with a choice of menu. ?

Should I wait for the next firmware , it would be very good !

OK, I have my A119S for a week, and here are some samples, just checking if it's on par with what I should expect.....

In the daytime video's I think I should have sharper images to read licence plates of bypassing cars? Will try some JooVuu X comparison later today, I suspect the X is sharper, but should test together first to be sur.

In the daytime video's I think I should have sharper images to read licence plates of bypassing cars

Looks fine but too dark........... Do you have a CPL connected

Looks fine but too dark........... Do you have a CPL connected

My first thought too, but I had WDR set to off, and it was a dark day, heavily overcast weather.

I do not yet have a CPL filter nor GPS module.

I have JooVuu X compared to the A119S yesterday, I will check them later today, as it looks to me that JooVuu has clearer images.... But not sure yet.

the Joovuu should have a sharper picture due to small pixels, that will work against the Joovuu in low light situations though

Now that's an answer I needed!

Sets my mind to ease, and proves its all okididdellidoky.... Hahaha

The night recording for the A119S is really amazing, I am very happy with it. And keep in mind, I'm not easily satisfied... :cautious: The settings easy change in display, also handy for aiming view, I love it. Don't miss wifi AT ALL..... wooweee!!!

Later today the comparison clips.

Clips, same road, same time, but very wet.... Viofo starts a little earlier.

Same road, other night, but DRY...

Last edited:
Thanks dirkzelf, for taking the time and effort to record and post these clips. [emoji471][emoji471]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Interesting. Mobius is the worst of those.

Every now and then I have the need for confirmation that I have the right equipment so I compare old and new, and truth be told, IMHO

1. A119S
2. JooVuu X
3. Mobius
4. Legend 2

Now please understand I still like the JooVuu X a lot, and the Mobius too, but clearly the A119S has better night recording, but in daylight the JooVuu X and Mobius are still just slightly better in reading license plates.

I've always liked Mobius better than the Legend 2, and when the light in the sky is really gone past twilight, Mobius takes Legend 2 to the basement when it comes to brightness and dynamics.....

Maybe I'll do a one over in true darkness, and I'll possibly take the Runcam 2 instead of the Legend 2 (I don't have enough SD cards hahahahahaha)

Last edited:
but in daylight the JooVuu X and Mobius are still just slightly better in reading license plates.
Is that only true when your car is not moving as in the above frame grabs while you were stopped at a red light?

The faster sensor of the A119S should do better than the others when you get motion blur from speed, even in sunshine if you are traveling fast...

Back