A119S Optimized Image Quality Firmware

Here is a clip from a trip I took to today.

a119s v1 firm 1.7 wdr on, CPL on.

I have compare these follow Dashcam today.

SJDASH, Viofo WR1 and Viofo a119s. All of the camera use the latest firmware.

a119s is the only dashcam that come with a CPL and its on.

Location of dashcam in the windows are SJDASH top, a119s bottom left and WR1 bottom right.

The a119s stand alone clip is in the previous post.

WR1 clip you will find in this post: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/video-firmware-1-0.29626/#post-356559

SJDASH clip you will find in this post: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viking-on-the-sjdash.30291/#post-356544

Last edited:
I'm finally done experimenting, and go for some quality equipment, is this any good?

www.banggood.com/nl/VIOFO-A119S-2-Inch-Car-Dashcam-6G-F1_8-Lens-Video-135-Degree-Camera-DVR-Without-GPS-Function-p-1153895.html

Header states F1.8 lens, but in fact it's F1.6, right?

I also find UPGRADED versions, and this one doesn't say that. What should I look for?

I want to buy the correct one right away..... No more experimenting...! Hahahaha

I remember reading on some thread that VIOFO has switched to a f1.8 lens for the A119S.

I remember reading on some thread that VIOFO has switched to a f1.8 lens for the A119S.

Really? On their website it is still being presented with a F1.6 lens.... Confusing. Anyway, thanks but the price is nice, isn't it?

So.... why change to 1.8? 1.6 seems the better choice in combination with the Sony sensor for night rides?.....?

And what's with the upgraded version? What's different from non upgraded ones? And how do I buy the right one?

So confusing.... Pffff...

Really? On their website it is still being presented with a F1.6 lens.... Confusing. Anyway, thanks but the price is nice, isn't it?

So.... why change to 1.8? 1.6 seems the better choice in combination with the Sony sensor for night rides?.....?

And what's with the upgraded version? What's different from non upgraded ones? And how do I buy the right one?

So confusing.... Pffff...

The upgraded version refers to the new mount and inclusion of EVA foam pads. The lens change was not publicised, from what I can tell.

The Banggood listing you linked earlier looks legit.

The upgraded version refers to the new mount and inclusion of EVA foam pads. The lens change was not publicised, from what I can tell.

The Banggood listing you linked earlier looks legit.

Thanks! OK, would you say the banggood sale is an upgraded version? If it's not, then I don't suspect a better quality recording? Or...?

(Where-) Can I find more info on these improvements?

Any thoughts on why they changed the lens from 1.6 to 1.8?

I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers

I'm not sure how to respond...

I'm not really that hung up on it, but there's a difference and I was wondering why they changed, and if it would make a difference in clarity of footage.

Was it quality? Tóó much light coming in?

Just curious.

I guess when I buy it, I'd better take the anti glare filter too? Good experiences with that, or so I read anyway.

you don't have to respond, f/1.6 or f/1.8 might mean something on paper, in reality you'd be hard pressed to pick which is which

OK, thanks. This particular one is so much cheaper than what I find elsewhere, that I start to wonder why.... Is this a version 2 mount model?

[edit] forget the last q, picture shows v2.... :oops:

Sounds like a great deal then.....

Last edited:
The release of A119S new F1.8 Lens was to solve the F1.6 soft focus complaints, the F1.8 is full focus to all edges as it should be, also 2 degrees wider field of view.

I've tested all A119S Firmware versions since v1.01 which is the last release before all the IQ over-sharpen tinkering fiasco began. I still use v1.01 everyday but forced to load v1.7 to reduce Hot Pixels when recording night drives for YouTube.

I seem to be suffering from blindingly bright exposure during night time recording. Granted, as soon as I received my unit I straight up installed V1.7 because the bugfixes since V1 were a no brainer in my view. The people over at Autowrzuta forum also documented this as starting from V1.2 Firmware:
v10v12c.jpg

v10v12b.jpg

How does it look like on my end? Stock settings, no CPL, no EV settings tinkering:
ksQT0ju.png

Dropping down the exposure with -1/3 and the CPL On renders the following result:
3D3Pe7Q.png

Still too bright IMHO. Now granted I don't expect it to see as good as a human eye since it doesn't have the same resolution, but the current settings on this sensor lead to something that is much brighter than what my eyes are seeing, rendering the number plates and road signs visibility to somewhat useless unless I am very very close to them like in this next picture:
HG447Ti.png

As regular users we can't tinker with more than the EV Settings and adding/removing a CPL filter. However I do think Viofo has more parameters accessible to tweak the settings and find a compromise such that the license plate is more closer to my 3rd picture, than the 2nd one.

@Rocozaur - verified, your night image quality does seem poor to you but is normal and the washout/overly bright areas on shiny surfaces is your headlights aimed slightly too high. Otherwise that is all you can expect for night video quality.

We did some improvements for A119S IQ, you can download from below for testing.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22493212/A119S/Firmware/IQ/FWA119S.bin
Change Log:
1. Optimized the daytime and night time IQ.
2. Improved WDR performance.

Link is dead FYI.

I've tested all A119S Firmware versions since v1.01 which is the last release before all the IQ over-sharpen tinkering fiasco began. I still use v1.01 everyday but forced to load v1.7 to reduce Hot Pixels when recording night drives for YouTube.

can you upload a copy of v1.01? thanks.

Disappointed there have been no developments since 1.7. Viofo's activity is significantly lower as well.

Link is dead FYI.

Disappointed there have been no developments since 1.7. Viofo's activity is significantly lower as well.
They released a beta (2.0). They will officially release it once it proves stable.

there is always activity, that's not always transparent to end users though so there are times when it can look like nothing is happening

that's good -- better to be working than posting.

as long as they are still working on it and have communication with their distributors i'm happy.

the missing firmware file had me fearing they dropped off the planet lol

Link is dead FYI.

There is a planned A119S - less-sharpened BETA version very soon , I'm naming it BCH Beta
option #1 = (FW1.01 IQ + FW2.0 fixes/features + 0%FW2.0 IQ) B1.01 + C2.0 + H0/2.0 = BCH3.01
option #2 = (FW1.01 IQ + FW2.0 fixes/features + 50%FW2.0 sharpening) B1.01 + C2.0 + H1/2 x 2.0 = BCH4.01
until the new unsharpened Firmware is released downgrade to old FW1.01
Scroll to bottom of page for download links > > https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a119s/

Back