Incorrect date causing 'regularly format memory card for data integrity' error

SirCozak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've had a Thinkware F770 for about 18 months, and it's been flawless until about a week ago. I got the usual 'regularly format memory card for data integrity' reminder, and formatted the card using the format button in the same fashion I have always done. The following day, the error repeated itself, and again I formatted the card with the button. The error occurred again the following day, a duff card I thought. So I switched my spare Thinkware branded memory card into the camera and the issue continues to repeat itself.

So I put the original memory card into my pc with the intention of doing a full format on it but noticed that the dates on all the recordings are 2079/2080. The dates on the files prior to this have always been correct. I looked at the gps information whilst connect to the camera via smart phone app, and it is showing the incorrect time as well, but not by a hour or multiple thereof (which would perhaps indicate incorrect time zone) but by like 40 minutes. I can't see anywhere in the app where I can set the date or time manually and no doubt this is why I get a daily nagging to format the memory card.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had this same weird fault with incorrect year being shown on all the recordings? I have tried the following so far with no success:

1) Full format using a pc
2) Another new Thinkware branded memory card
3) Changing the time zone settings
4) Enabling/Disabling daylight savings option
5) Upgrading firmware to latest version

I've come across the odd one that seems to corrupt the format time file on the memory card which is easily correctable however i'm not sure that's the cause of yours? Is the camera still picking up a GPS signal? (Solid Green Light & giving GPS Connected messages)

Yes still has a gps signal and I get the 'gps connected' message each time with the solid green light. This morning it reckons we are in the year 2106, it's bizaree. I'm wondering if the recent heat wave in the UK has killed it.

It is a little strange, i would factory reset the unit (power it up and wait for it to give Continuous recording started & gps connected messages) then press and hold the Format & Manual Record buttons together for about 5 seconds, you should hear a few rapid bleeps. After doing that i would Format the card in a PC, pop it back into the camera and see what happens. I very much doubt anything is terminal here but something sounds like it's gone a bit squiffy.

Thanks I'll give that a try a little later on and report back.

Unfortunately the factory reset hasn't helped. I'm pretty convinced the gps on it is faulty, if I open the smartphone app and select 'reset gps' each time it reconnects it does so with a different time and year. The issue only appears to be time and date related though as when looking back at the videos my speed is correct. The gps signal also reports as being 'strong' so no connection problems.

Very disappointing for what is a quite expensive dashcam, any other suggestions?

Edit - Decided to take the camera apart to see if anything obvious was wrong. I notice that on one of the circuit boards is soldered small button battery. I don't suppose you would know if this battery is essentially like a cmos battery on a motherboard and responsible for keeping time/date?

Last edited:
I've ordered a replacement battery of the same type via ebay, looks like it should be fairly easy to replace.

Just thought I'd post an update in case anyone is interested or has a similar problem.

Replacing the small button battery resolved the issue, the date and time are now correct on my recordings and no more nagging prompts to format the card. Replacing the battery was easy and cost only 99p so well worth repairing vs the cost of a new camera.

So in short, if anyone else has a similar issue of constant 'regularly format memory card for data integrity' prompts don't just rush out and buy a new memory card. Check the date and timestamps on your recordings first, if the year and times are all haywire then you need a new battery not a new memory card.

So it must do the same as a Cmos battery in a PC. Can you post the battery number for all to share

I figured jokiin was spot on about the battery. As far as getting the camera apart, you think you may do a how to? I tried taking mine apart the the other day and had little luck. Was trying to find what was rattling around. And why the sd card track keeps shifting. My card keeps getting stuck.

Yes it's a cmos battery, similar to a pc motherboard. I'm an IT consultant so had my suspicions when I spotted it after taking it apart.

Not really sure a how to guide is needed, it's really just pull the 4 rubber hole covers out, undo the 4 screws and pop the top off. There's an additional two screws inside holding the two circuit boards in place but that's all there is to it. Just be careful not to tear the ribbon cable when popping the top off is all.

Battery number is written on it though perhaps a little difficult to read. It's MS621FE. It's a rechargeable button battery that comes complete with contacts and so replacement is pretty straight forward. Got my replacement on ebay.

That's very interesting SirCozak, thanks for feeding this back!

I was able to get the four screws out. But when I started to pry the case apart, it was a flexing like there was a fifth screw under the serial number sticker. Taking stuff apart has always been my weak point. If someone dropped almost anything in front of me to be put together, I can do it. I'll wait till my camera starts to give me more dire problems before trying again. Thanks the info.

I was able to get the four screws out. But when I started to pry the case apart, it was a flexing like there was a fifth screw under the serial number sticker. Taking stuff apart has always been my weak point. If someone dropped almost anything in front of me to be put together, I can do it. I'll wait till my camera starts to give me more dire problems before trying again. Thanks the info.

Once the screws are out, the section of the camera with the buttons on is the part to pry apart. I usually run a thumbnail across and the clips unclip.....

I have the same problem with my F750 camera (with 770 fw)
I'm very good at taking things apart. it's the putting them back together in working order which is the problem :-(

I managed to open up my camera & located said battery.. it is however, well soldered in place.
could somebody maybe explain me how to take out the old battery & solder in the new one?

Just heat up the existing contacts with a soldering iron and carefully work it free. As the contacts are small I did not use a solder sucker to remove the existing solder as I figured it would probably be difficult to get new solder on without causing a short. Once the old battery was free I positioned the new battery in place and heated up the existing solder to secure it in place.

I managed to open up my camera & located said battery.. it is however, well soldered in place.
could somebody maybe explain me how to take out the old battery & solder in the new one?

if you don't have the tools (or confidence) to do it correctly take it to one of those places that does mobile phone repairs, for those guys it would be an easy job

Back