Hardwire kit cutoff voltage

Onimorza

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Dash Cam
Nextbase 522GW
Hello,
I've got a brand new car and immediately transplanted my Nextbase 522GW front and back dashcam from my old to new car. However, as I couldn't find a suitable cigarette lighter I've ordered their hardwire kit and once arrived piggybacked it to a switched fuse. All works perfectly.
However, originally I wanted to connect it to a live fuse for parking mode, but the manual of the Nextbase hardwire kit mentions the cutoff Voltage to protect the battery from going flat is 11V.
I'm a bit reluctant to do so as it seems awfully low in my opinion. Anyone else got experience with this? Would the car still be able to start at that low voltage? Wouldn't it even be bad for the battery to go this low frequently?

Wouldn't it even be bad for the battery to go this low frequently?
You shouldn't go that low even once on a car battery.

The minimum cut off voltages should be:
For AGM batteries 11.8.
For Long Life (5 year warranty) 12.0.
For a standard car battery (3 year warranty) 12.2.

AGM batteries also charge much faster so are a good choice as replacement batteries even if the original isn't.

Thanks for the replies.
Then why the hell is Nextbase selling their hardwire kits with this low 11V cut off voltage ? It's pretty useless then..

Thanks for the replies.
Then why the hell is Nextbase selling their hardwire kits with this low 11V cut off voltage ? It's pretty useless then..
Because they never listen!

They are also still using lipo batteries in their cameras which gives the cameras a typical 1 year lifespan when all the decent camera manufacturers have switched to super capacitors which last so long that nobody yet knows how many years!

Welcome to the forum :)

Ah, good to know, wish I was aware of that before buying their cam. I will pay attention to that whenever this one dies on me and I need to buy a new one!

Can I for example cut out that little box in the middle of their hardwire kit and replace it with something else with higher voltage cut off? Or adjustable voltage? Or do I need to buy an entire new hardwire kit from another brand with that better cut off and replace the whole thing from fuse to cam? Any suggestions?

And thanks for the welcome too!

@jokiin might know if one of his hardwire kits will work. I'd recommend that as a better alternative as they do only top-quality products and I've never hears of a SG HWK failing.

A Viofo HWK might also do better (if it's comopatible) but some of the current problems being found with Viofo cams might be HWK related so I won't recommend them anymore for any other than Viofo cams which need the extra power they provide.

Phil

Bear in mind that the Nextbase runs on 5V and some hardwire kits are 12V (Blackvue, for example).
Connections are completely different, but you are talking about replacing the 'box in the middle.

The kits I spoke of are 5VDC using a mini-USB plug. These will have a standard pin-out for normal recording but may not initiate parking modes correctly, as how that is done has some variation, but most with this plug are similar.

I'm sure someone else here can confirm or deny whether the parking mode will work.

Phil

Just for reference I'm running a Viofo A119 V3 with a Nextbase MK 1 HWK without issue.

My HWK has seen me through a Nextbase 402, 412, 380, a Viofo A119 V2 and now my V3

Bear in mind that the Nextbase runs on 5V and some hardwire kits are 12V (Blackvue, for example).
Connections are completely different, but you are talking about replacing the 'box in the middle.

Thank you for that info!
So I need a 5V output with >12V input cut off.

Just for reference I'm running a Viofo A119 V3 with a Nextbase MK 1 HWK without issue.

My HWK has seen me through a Nextbase 402, 412, 380, a Viofo A119 V2 and now my V3

I assume the MK1 also cuts off at 11V?
Did you wire it to a live or switched fuse?

I've ordered one of these:
I should be able to connect it to the Nextbase thing.

NO NO NO. PLEASE DON'T DO THAT. The output of the PMP is 12V

Unless you are going to feed the output into the nextbase hardwire kit.

Thank goodness for that.
It wouldn't be my first choice to solve the problem. But in response to your obvious next question, I would do more research but I have no direct suggestions as to how.

I assume the MK1 also cuts off at 11V?
Did you wire it to a live or switched fuse?

It's wired to IGN Pos 2 via the cars fusebox accessory pins, not fuse piggybacked, so only fires up when the engine is started. I have no idea about any voltage cutoff as I don't use parking mode.

But it's the parking mode is what the OP is concerned about K. I don't have a problem with my dashcam flattening my battery either as I also don't use parking mode.

But hang on a mo, we are all banging on about cutoff voltage to protect the car's battery, but don't the NB cameras run on the battery fitted to the camera, not the car's battery for parking mode?

I was replying to a question directed at me re my Nextbase Mk 1 hwk

Back