522gw hardwire rebooting on turnover / stop-start

D

Deleted member 76021

Hi folks,

Looking for some help with a 522GW and the hardwire kit.

Installed it myself in a Ford Tourneo Custom van, and am having a problem with the dashcam rebooting when the engine is turned over or when the van restarts from the stop/start feature.

Its not that the dashcam is shutting down normally, as it doesnt play the shutdown jingle or show the nextbase logo, literally just dies before rebooting. If I pull the mini usb cable in the dashcam mount it shuts down normally.

Additionally, when either turning over or restarting from stop/start, the little black box on the hardwire kit cable flashes off and then back on at the same time.

I've tried it in both a switched fuse and a permanently live fuse, same result.

Additionally tried it on the same fuse as the radio, radio stayed on but the dashcam died and then rebooted.

I'm assuming its some sort of voltage protection but am at a loss

Does anyone have any ideas?

It does sound like the tap you've used is being temporarily killed by the starter.

It varies from car to car. Honda for example provide a dedicated socket on the interior fusebox that they call the 'option connector'. That socket is unaffected by any initial startup or stop/start.

If your car doesn't have any such connector then I'd be posting on a forum dedicated to your model to see if anyone else has found an unaffected fuse.

Thank you for that.

One thing I noticed last night, on a "longer journey" (I mean like 20+ minutes driving length of journey), after a little while the dashcam no longer cuts out when restarting at stop/start and the dashcam briefly goes to battery mode then back to vehicles power supply.

Could this indicate that the dashcams battery is failing. After a two hour in house charge the battery lasts less than 30 seconds before shutting down.

Hello,

I'd recommend performing a battery test:

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

The battery should last for 8+ minutes during the above test. If the battery lasts for less than 8 minutes, the battery may have reached the end of it's lifespan.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
Hi,

My charging test I did yesterday was until the blue LED was off. I infact did it twice as I noticed the blue LED was off and thought it had somehow disconnected from the power supply (3A).

As soon as I switch the dashcam on from when it is saying it is fully charged it immediately goes to 1 bar on the battery indicator and then shutsdown less then 30 seconds later.

I have had this 522GW for about a year now and it is used a lot, I know from reading others posts that the battery life is poor after about 12-18 months.

Hello,

It sounds like you need a battery replacement. We can provide a new battery for you directly and we offer two battery services. I've provided the details below:

To minimise the time you have to spend apart from your camera, we can send you a battery for £10 with free postage and packaging. This option is only available to mainland UK delivery addresses due to transportation limitations.

The battery replacement process is relatively straight forward and usually takes between 15/20 minutes to complete, but does require some soldering. We can provide instructions for this.

Alternatively if you don't feel comfortable with the replacing the battery yourself, we can get the camera booked in for repair for £31.20. The average turn around for repairs is between 7-10 working days.

If the camera is still within the warranty period, please provide us with your receipt and we'll replace the camera's battery free of charge.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Back