Before I formally introduce 6 Hikvision 1600P Dashcams, Please check out demo videos below

I do have to say that I had the same reaction to the notion of using "HIV" as a file name pre-fix due to the unavoidable association with the disease. I assume "HIV"is meant to imply "Hikvision" in some form but perhaps it should have been (or still could be) something like "HVIS" or something similar.

Aside from the the screen shots are impressive, especially the overall control of dynamic range compared to the Viofo A139.

Question: Is the file name HIV used throughout the Hikvision product range, including CCTV cameras? Or is it just confined to the dash cams?
Be Honest, I never really looked into those details before, as users usually don't take HDDs out for search or backup.
But I just took a SD card out from my mobile NVR to check files names. it is hivxxxxx.mp4 too.
I don't think it will be easy to change the file name if we use it for all devices.

Be Honest, I never really looked into those details before, as users usually don't take HDDs out for search or backup.
But I just took a SD card out from my mobile NVR to check files names. it is hivxxxxx.mp4 too.
I don't think it will be easy to change the file name if we use it for all devices.

Thanks for the answer. Yeah, that's what I was getting at with my question, the idea that the file type designation could be changed if it were just limited the dash cams but if it exists throughout the entire product range it's likely too entrenched after all these years.

I wonder what they were thinking when they came up with the hiv name, considering that the disease HIV has been around for 40 years now? Perhaps it is just another lost in translation example of an idiomatic Chinese brand name transposed into English and then abbreviated as hiv? The Chinese technician or company manager who came up with hiv as a file name probably didn't even consider how it might translate into English. I read somewhere a long time ago that some multinational corporations have a dedicated individual or team whose only job is to make sure that brand names sold around the world don't mean something terrible in another language. (like pharmaceuticals for instance)

Last edited:
I read somewhere a long time ago that some multinational corporations have a dedicated individual or team whose only job is to make sure that brand names sold around the world don't mean something terrible in another language.
It's very true. Took GM a while to figure out why the Chevy Nova didn't sell particularly well in Spanish speaking countries. o_O

Thanks for the answer. Yeah, that's what I was getting at with my question, the idea that the file type designation could be changed if it were just limited the dash cams but if it exists throughout the entire product range it's likely too entrenched after all these years.

I wonder what they were thinking when they came up with the hiv name, considering that the disease HIV has been around for 30 years now? Perhaps it is just another lost in translation example of an idiomatic Chinese brand name transposed into English and then abbreviated as hiv? The Chinese technician or company manager who came up with hiv as a file name probably didn't even consider how it might translate into English. I read somewhere a long time ago that some multinational corporations have a dedicated individual or team whose only job is to make sure that brand names sold around the world don't mean something terrible in another language. (like pharmaceuticals for instance)
thanks, I will see what they will say after I tell them this issue.

It's very true. Took GM a while to figure out why the Chevy Nova didn't sell particularly well in Spanish speaking countries. o_O
I liked the story about Chevy Nova but had to fact check it.
It turns out it is a good pub story but not true.
Apparently the story is even in educational material!

My source snopes.com

TBH I never associated HIV naming. I'm sure it is a trigger for some people.

I liked the story about Chevy Nova but had to fact check it.
It turns out it is a good pub story but not true.
Apparently the story is even in educational material!

My source snopes.com

TBH I never associated HIV naming. I'm sure it is a trigger for some people.
I've seen the Snopes article and, at least in this case, I'm not sure they're the 100% infallible resource many believe them to be.

I've spent a fair amount of time in and around the auto industry during my working life and in those circles, including sources within GM, it's generally acknowledged that the 'Nova' name definitely had a negative impact on sales. Not necessarily because of the literal translation of the name, more the aura, or image, it created. Point is that product name perception among different cultures is real and multi-nationals are very aware of it.

A bit of a tangent on the HIV naming convention. Quite some time ago (1980's?) an acquaintance of mine was forming a small IT consulting firm. One of his initial name choices was, if I remember correctly, 'Applied Information Delivery Systems' with a graphical logo similar to this:

A. I. D.
Systems

He started the business with a different name.

Spoiler about which camera is which:

- Top is Hikvision
- Bottom is Viofo A139

View attachment 59399
Do you have a CPL installed on the A139, but not on the F6S? Or is it different camera placement that shows different dashboard reflections?

Do you have a CPL installed on the A139, but not on the F6S? Or is it different camera placement that shows different dashboard reflections?
- No CPL Filter
- Both are stuck on about the same height
- One is on left side of mirror and one is on right. Limited by space with what I can install in my car for testing purposes right now

I confirmed with product team: No OLPF. We use IR filters, 5MP sensors, with F1.6 lens.

Thanks for checking that. I was noticing that some smooth shapes (like power lines) end up with "Jaggies", for example in the 3rd screenshot the street light pole not being smooth, and thought that might be the case. I'm unsure if other cam makers are using Optical Low Pass Filters. It is really noticable between the A139 and the F6S - however, I think the slight extra sharpness might be a good trade off here. Curious what everyone else thinks as I'm just speculating.

Quite impressive performance, the 139 looks to be maybe over sharpening the image/video?

The HIK seems to manage the brightness/contrast better.

@RickyC

Some feedback on the ADAS system - my opinion is that they should be disabled by default.
  • Red light / green light alert: I noticed some false positive "traffic light turns green". The camera cannot tell I am in a straight travel lane or differentiate between advanced green for turning and straight through green.
  • Keep up with the car: Might be too sensitive. I was in stop and go traffic and it would keep telling me to do this when the car in front of me let go of the brakes and only rolled 2 meters forward. During traffic in rush hour, it was telling me to go three times per minute, until the cars all started rolling slowly instead of coming to a full stop. As someone who drives in rush hour, I would never want to use this system, it is very annoying when I'm going as fast as I can and a car only moves 3 meters ahead, but it's still nagging me to go.
I'm not sure how helpful these functions are for driving, since, by nature of operating a motor vehicle, if the driver is not paying attention to either of these things they are driving distracted. Therefore, in my opinion, most drivers should not need this functionality as they should be paying attention to the road, traffic lights, etc. With false positives it can become dangerous, especially if the person is staring at their phone, and they hear "TRAFFIC LIGHT TURNS GREEN" and maybe let go of brakes without properly clearing the intersection, when their straight through light is read.

This is why I would recommend having them disabled by default and allow the user to choose what functions they want after. Perhaps, even, when launching the app for the first time, it could have a splash screen with instructions showing how to enable the extra features, but not have them on by default.

Some features I could see useful with ADAS, especially since this camera keeps its screen on a clock full time:
  • Last speed sign passed
  • Fixed speed camera location alert (maybe using GPS?)

I'm not aware of any dash cam member who has ever continued to use ADAS on a dash cam after trying it out a few times.

The ADAS functionality on Hikvision dash cams appears to be more sophisticated than what we've seen on other dash cams but compared with OEM factory installed ADAS systems in cars it feels for the most part just to be bells and whistles, when what people really want is rock solid video quality and reliability.

@RickyC, you'll notice that not one member posting to your How do you rate a good dashcam? thread ever mentions ADAS as an important or desired feature.

@RickyC

Some feedback on the ADAS system - my opinion is that they should be disabled by default.
  • Red light / green light alert: I noticed some false positive "traffic light turns green". The camera cannot tell I am in a straight travel lane or differentiate between advanced green for turning and straight through green.
  • Keep up with the car: Might be too sensitive. I was in stop and go traffic and it would keep telling me to do this when the car in front of me let go of the brakes and only rolled 2 meters forward. During traffic in rush hour, it was telling me to go three times per minute, until the cars all started rolling slowly instead of coming to a full stop. As someone who drives in rush hour, I would never want to use this system, it is very annoying when I'm going as fast as I can and a car only moves 3 meters ahead, but it's still nagging me to go.
I'm not sure how helpful these functions are for driving, since, by nature of operating a motor vehicle, if the driver is not paying attention to either of these things they are driving distracted. Therefore, in my opinion, most drivers should not need this functionality as they should be paying attention to the road, traffic lights, etc. With false positives it can become dangerous, especially if the person is staring at their phone, and they hear "TRAFFIC LIGHT TURNS GREEN" and maybe let go of brakes without properly clearing the intersection, when their straight through light is read.

This is why I would recommend having them disabled by default and allow the user to choose what functions they want after. Perhaps, even, when launching the app for the first time, it could have a splash screen with instructions showing how to enable the extra features, but not have them on by default.

Some features I could see useful with ADAS, especially since this camera keeps its screen on a clock full time:
  • Last speed sign passed
  • Fixed speed camera location alert (maybe using GPS?)
Thanks a lot for the feedback.
I totally agree on your feedback about ADAS to disable it by default.
Green light alert is not that useful. it is not smart enough to recognize your lane and tell you left turn lights getting green.
But I do like the function of " Keep up with the car" alert as I am sometimes absent-minded when I wait at a traffic lights.

The correct recognition rate of speed sign is not 100%. sometimes it recognizes other numbers at the road side as the speed limit. I will dig in to find out how this function works and if it is related to the current speed.

Ricky

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any dash cam member who has ever continued to use ADAS on a dash cam after trying it out a few times.

The ADAS functionality on Hikvision dash cams appears to be more sophisticated than what we've seen on other dash cams but compared with OEM factory installed ADAS systems in cars it feels for the most part just to be bells and whistles, when what people really want is rock solid video quality and reliability.

@RickyC, you'll notice that not one member posting to your How do you rate a good dashcam? thread ever mentions ADAS as an important or desired feature.
current ADAS on those dashcam is still at L0 level. relatively simple. I saw the plan of higher ADAS performance for next year. If you have any suggestion, I can forward to the R&D to see the possibility.
We have 2 very accurate license place recognition cameras in CCTV products ( at 98% capture rate, 99% recognition rate).

Higher correct speed sign recognition rate will be my first wish.

Ricky

current ADAS on those dashcam is still at L0 level. relatively simple. I saw the plan of higher ADAS performance for next year. If you have any suggestion, I can forward to the R&D to see the possibility.
We have 2 very accurate license place recognition cameras in CCTV products ( at 98% capture rate, 99% recognition rate).

Higher correct speed sign recognition rate will be my first wish.

Ricky

That sounds interesting. So far, from what we've seen, dash cams lack the processing power to match the performance of the ADAS systems currently built into automobiles and certain CCTV products. The ADAS performance is also attributable to the price points at which most dash cams sell.

The AE-DC5013-F6 PRO 1600P/Wi-Fi AP/GPS seems to be very reasonably priced from what we've seen so far, so I'm wondering what processing functionality it has or will have that may allow for higher ADAS performance in the future and how that may or may not affect the price of the camera line. If the higher performance of future ADAS in Hikvision dash cams provides something genuinely useful and practical rather than the mostly annoying and superfluous "bells & whistles" sales gimmicky we've seen in many other dash cam brands it may well be worth charging a bit more for the cameras.

I do have to say that it's interesting to finally see a company with Hikvision's technical prowess devoting its energy to pushing the envelope for how dash cams are designed and built. Most of what we've seen so far in the industry consists of manufacturers cobbling together existing off-the-shelf components into products of widely varying degrees of quality and performance.

I would personally rather see the data processing power used by ADAS go to improving dashcam imaging and functions such as parking protection which are not available in cars as-built. Many cars now come with ADAS which is done better than any dashcam can ever hope to do. Yet I also see that some (many?) dashcam buyers want ADAS features, so as far as marketing it may be worthwhile- especially if done well.

I've tried the ADAS functions in a couple of dashcans and have found them to be so unreliable as to be useless. There is especially a problem with speed limit sign recognition as those signs are not standardized world-wide which generally means that even if it works good in Europe, it likely won't in the US. If you're going to have ADAS functions then prepare to spend whatever effort is necessary to fine-tune them into something that works well; otherwise you'll get 'disliked' reviews from people who just don't understand the limitations of dashcams.

Phil

Got to agree, I’d rather have a proper working buffered parking mode with a variety of working options than something like ADAS that may or may not work reliably.

I'm not particularly at all interested in ADAS. I primarily want reliability and the best possible video and audio quality, nothing more. But like I said above, if Hikvision can come with something practical, useful and reliable that can provide real benefits to dash cam users it could make for an interesting development. Looking out ahead several years as AI functionalities begin to make their way into consumer level microchips we may have some interesting developments to look forward to that will go far beyond the lame and annoying dash cam ADAS features we are currently familiar with.

Back