Counterintuitive confusion on Viofo A119 V3 vs A129 Pro Duo - help!

Oh, I can barely install my socks on my feet, so I'd definitely have to pay a professional. An extra $300 hurts, but I'm just that hopeless.

It does take a bit of time to do the install properly. Definitely a couple hours to get pillars removed, cables managed, and camera properly hardwired to fuse box. What type of car do you drive (Brand / Make / Model Year)?

I definitely wouldn't trust one of those big box stores with 18 year old kids to do things properly. Which is why you'll be paying a premium at a reputable audio installer shop.

Here's an example of why you don't want to cross the wire over the airbag. You can clearly see that if you tuck it OVER the airbags unstead of behind, the wire could obstruct the airbag from deploying. You'll find a lot of sloppy and ill informed videos online advocating these improper and dangerous installations.

Click Play and watch a few seconds of this video.

Well conventional 2 channel systems have the front camera as part of the main unit on the windscreen, and as the main unit generate its own heat processing the video, any outside influence like direct sunlight ( to a camera body that are most often black ) and you are heading for the thermal limit where the camera will turn off to protect itself.

With a remote style system like the dual remote SG9663DR you can place the heat generating main unit out of the direct sun at least, and then you just have the camera units in the sun, but as i understand it they are less susceptible to higher temperatures, another + of the remote camera design is the remote cameras are smaller, and so you should also be able to do a more stealthy install.

I personally think the remote style cameras are the future, even if none of the few currently on the market now have embraced all the advantages of that, CUZ you can make the main unit larger then, and so house a more capable cooling solution, you could even have a active fan if you wanted to.
But as it is now the main units of the systems i have seen is about the size of a box of tic - tac mints, and i can only assume they maintain the small is better approach as they think someone are still going to mount the main unit where they can see it.

Well conventional 2 channel systems have the front camera as part of the main unit on the windscreen, and as the main unit generate its own heat processing the video, any outside influence like direct sunlight ( to a camera body that are most often black ) and you are heading for the thermal limit where the camera will turn off to protect itself.

With a remote style system like the dual remote SG9663DR you can place the heat generating main unit out of the direct sun at least, and then you just have the camera units in the sun, but as i understand it they are less susceptible to higher temperatures, another + of the remote camera design is the remote cameras are smaller, and so you should also be able to do a more stealthy install.

I personally think the remote style cameras are the future, even if none of the few currently on the market now have embraced all the advantages of that, CUZ you can make the main unit larger then, and so house a more capable cooling solution, you could even have a active fan if you wanted to.
But as it is now the main units of the systems i have seen is about the size of a box of tic - tac mints, and i can only assume they maintain the small is better approach as they think someone are still going to mount the main unit where they can see it.

I think when it comes to longterm endurance and practicality, remote cameras make sense. After all, the sun beating down on your windshield during a very hot day will generate additional heat. Seeing 3 channel cameras get hot (and even the 2 channels like the A129 Pro Duo) - Among Other Camera Models (Viofo isn't alone) - Removing the main unit away from the windshield will resolve a lot of those problems.

I never understood why you'd mount the Main Unit + Camera together. Cars are enclosed spaces that warm up very quickly on a hot, sunny, day.

Yep remote main unit make so much sense, can be larger, and so accommodate better cooling, making parking guard more of a sure thing, and allowing for much higher bitrates in regular driving footage.
And you could deploy other means of storage like Nvme drives or SSD.

And you dont really have to design any fancy housing, you could just about use any hobby electronics housing, hell you could make it in wood or recycled plastics and claim the dashcam eco friendly crown.
Personally, if it can fit under a seat, i am okay with the size, this mean that the main unit could potentially be 10 - 20 X larger than any large dashcam of today.

There is no rule that says "if you want front and back cameras you must get a dual channel camera". If you like the A119 v3, buy two of them. One for the front, and one for the back.

There is no rule that says "if you want front and back cameras you must get a dual channel camera". If you like the A119 v3, buy two of them. One for the front, and one for the back.

But the problem with utilizing separate units is you don't know if those units are working. Most people aren't going to be bothered or remember to check an individual camera for recording each and every time they enter and exit their cars. Which is why 2 or 3 channel single units are favored of two or three individual cameras.

Last edited:
After both of my SG9665GCcams died an untimely death I tried a SGGCX2PRO+ with rear cam and the video quality was so poor I returned it. I was astonished how bad it was, actually, but that's a story for another time. So, I bought a Viofo A119 V3 and was so impressed with the camera (at about half what I paid for the SGGCX2PRO no less) I went and purchased another one. So, I've been running two A119 V3 cams front and rear for two years now and have never experienced a hiccup with either of them.

The V3 has been a remarkably reliable camera model and the 2K video quality has been outstanding in most respects . When I start up my vehicle I can see the rear cam boot up in the rear view mirror and while driving when I can see the RECORD pilot light illuminated so I know the camera is working. (I like that the REC light just glows red - no distracting blinking). No matter how lax I've been about checking the recordings from either camera, they just keep humming along and never miss a beat. When I check the files, they are always all there.

FYI, I'm in Alabama where it gets hot and it's not easy to park in the shade in the summertime. I use a 1080p Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO front/rear dual cam, installed July 2020, and I've been satisfied with it. Instead of low-bit-rate recording in parking mode it uses time-lapse (5 frames/sec) without audio. I've never had any issues due to heat and my SG camera is rated to operate -4 F to +158 F (air temperature I assume). As an experiment to see what actual temps I was experiencing, last June I set up my remote digital thermometer with one probe touching the driver-facing side of the windshield-mounted camera and a second probe hanging in the air (shaded) chest-high above the passenger seat. After one hour parked in the direct sun the outside temperature was 91 F, the air temp in my dark green Honda CR-V with all the windows closed was 132 F and the body of the camera was 152 F. I started the car and the camera started recording as usual without problems.

Yeah people experience different things, even with the same cameras.
I only use parking guard for 1 hour, and in Denmark it rarely get that hot even in summer, the hot days ( +30 deg C / 86 deg F ) in a good summer we get maybe 5 of those, and if we get 2 in a row it is almost record breaking.
Hottest ever temp is a measurement from 1975 here it hit +36.4 deg C, opposite the coldest temperature are a measurement from January 1982 where we hit -31.2 deg C
This winter so far we had like 1 time where the temperature was below freezing for a whole 24 hours, and then a day now and then with sub zero at night, and where i live we have gotten 3-4 inches of snow which was gone in 2 days.
Denmark are like Canada north on the globe, but we are surrounded by water, so it take a little extra to get winter here, at least compared with Canada

What @Dashmellow fails to mention is that even if the camera freezes, the light stays red. So you would have ZERO way of knowing it wasn't working. As with a Front + Rear Camera connected to one another, you can at least see the two cameras on the built in screen. With the A129 2 or 3 channel, you get an audio prompt. Recording 2 Channel. Recording 3 Channel.

No such luck with an individual camera. If the rear freezes up, and you see a red light, you just assume it working.

I’ve had my A129 Duo Pro freeze up a few times. I didn’t realize it until I touched the menu button and it wasn’t responsive.

No such luck with an individual camera. If the rear freezes up, and you see a red light, you just assume it working.
You still only lose one channel, whereas with a 2 or 3 channel camera you lose all your recordings when you get a freeze.

Also, the A119 V3 gives you QHD video front and rear which most dual and triple cameras can't manage, and very few cameras can manage the video quality of the A119 V3 anyway.

Plus you don't need to install video cable front to rear, only need to find some local power front and rear.

All that you are really missing is the convenience of a single memory card with almost synchronised video files, Wi-Fi, and a Bluetooth remote lock button.

You do get a startup sound, so you know the camera is still working. It is only if it freezes during a journey that you lose a bit of video, and most faults are detected and issue an audio warning or shutdown sound to make you aware. As Dashmellow suggests, the A119 V3 is one of the most reliable dashcams available, and has less problems with difficult memory cards than most. If you want a reliable system then dual A119 V3 is a good choice.

You still only lose one channel, whereas with a 2 or 3 channel camera you lose all your recordings when you get a freeze.

Also, the A119 V3 gives you QHD video front and rear which most dual and triple cameras can't manage, and very few cameras can manage the video quality of the A119 V3 anyway.

Plus you don't need to install video cable front to rear, only need to find some local power front and rear.

All that you are really missing is the convenience of a single memory card with almost synchronised video files, Wi-Fi, and a Bluetooth remote lock button.

You do get a startup sound, so you know the camera is still working. It is only if it freezes during a journey that you lose a bit of video, and most faults are detected and issue an audio warning or shutdown sound to make you aware. As Dashmellow suggests, the A119 V3 is one of the most reliable dashcams available, and has less problems with difficult memory cards than most. If you want a reliable system then dual A119 V3 is a good choice.

But with a 2 or 3 channel, you have the main unit visible. You can check to make sure its starting up when you turn on the car and can tap the button to see the screen periodically. With the 3 channel A139, you get audio prompts.

With an "unattended" 2nd camera, you aren't climbing in the back seat to check things on a regular basis.

Other than the A139, there are no audio prompts. If the A119 or A129 Duo etc freeze, you have no idea as there are no indicators.

Just pointing out a potential drawback of 2 x cameras vs a Front + Rear connected where the main screen is within reach to check on things.

As far as I am aware, there has not been a single report of a Viofo A119 V3 ever freezing up during operation. Most of the related reports of freezing cameras have been with the A129 series, (especially the Duo) and also with other multi-channel cameras.

The concern that the V3 will suddenly stop recording is an absolute non-issue. @HonestReview is positing a hypothetical, unsubstantiated and basically imaginary problem about a camera he has never owned and has no personal experience with as the basis for urging members not to use a two camera approach. Better to trust the experience of the many actual A119 V3 owners reporting about this camera on the forum if you want to know what to expect.

Using two 2K cameras for front and rear coverage has numerous advantages, and indeed for some of us they outweigh any minor disadvantages. Additionally, this method avoids many of the known pitalls of multi-channel dash cams, some of which (but not all) have been pointed out by @Nigel. Furthermore, many of us don't want or need wifi or bluetooth. Indeed, the V3's simplicity and lack of bells and whistles is one of the very reasons for its bulletproof reliability.

As for "climbing into the back seat" on occasion, it takes a few seconds and is no big deal really, except obviously for a lazy few.

Last edited:
@Dashmellow works in absolutes. An amazing skill where he can apparently see into the future.

It's worth noting that while the A119 V3 might be the most reliable camera on the market, but SD cards do develop errors or fail. Resulting in the camera failing to record or freezing. The camera itself isn't always your weakest link.

People often assume things are working if they are out of sight and mind.

Just pointing out these things do happen and that is one downside of a camera that isn't running in a 2 or 3 channel setup. No one said there weren't counterpoints i.e. QHD on each camera.

It's worth noting that while the A119 V3 might be the most reliable camera on the market, but SD cards do develop errors or fail. Resulting in the camera failing to record or freezing. The camera itself isn't always your weakest link.
Normally a card failure will result in a beeping alert, so you will definitely notice!

I prefer the 2 channel setup, but having a rear A119 V3 is a good choice, and it means the A139 can do front, left and right :)

It is not hard to check an A119, just lift it off its mount, take it into the house and plug it into the computer. Unlike the multi-channel dashcams there are no cables to slow things down, it only takes a second to remove it and a couple of seconds to replace it.

As far as I am aware, there has not been a single report of a Viofo A119 V3 ever freezing up during operation.
Well then, I will make you aware that I have a Viofo A119 v2 that I had to replace because it began silently stopping its recording. I would find only the beginnings of my trips recorded. It would stop after about 30 minutes sometimes.
I replaced it with two A129 pro cameras. Why two cameras? Redundancy. It is very unlikely they will both fail at the same time.
All cameras can fail. I feel it is better not to have a single point of failure than to have the convenience of all the video synchronized on a single memory card.

@Dashmellow works in absolutes. An amazing skill where he can apparently see into the future.

People often assume things are working if they are out of sight and mind.

Just pointing out these things do happen and that is one downside of a camera that isn't running in a 2 or 3 channel setup. No one said there weren't counterpoints i.e. QHD on each camera.

No, there are no absolutes, HonestReview, just likelihoods. Longtime hands on expereince with the V3 demonstrates that it is unlikely to freeze-up during operation compared to other cameras. For the very same reasons I use the V3 as a secondary camera, I make a point of choosing a high quality, reliable memory card.

Speaking of "working in absolutes" it is always remarkable how you project your behavior onto others. You've asserted that people should not entertain the notion of using two cameras for a variety of hypothetical reasons and personal preferences, including your new claim that the rear camera is "out of sight and out of mind" which is not by any means true, as I explained above about regularly observing it in the rear view mirror and listening to its audio alerts.

The fact remains that using two separate cameras is quite a viable option compared to a dual channel camera. When members and visitors here are presented with the facts, they can reach their own conclusions and make their own decisions about how to proceed if indeed they want a rear camera.

Personally, I've been using two separate cameras for front and rear coverage for nine years now. So, I've had some experience with this. FWIW, I was the first person on the forum to begin dabbling with rear and side cameras a long, long time before dual channel cameras became a reality. At the time, no one else had considered the idea, as dash cams were a pretty new product category back then. Initially it was a fun experiment in repurposing older retired cameras but I soon found the concept of rear and side cameras to be indispensable. For many years I relied on a Mobius camera in the rear because of its high performance, and absolute bullet proof reliability. Since then, the A119 V3 has been the only other camera I've tried that is equally up to the task.

As usual, HonestReview, your replies, like this one for example, are filled with innuendo, traducement and aspersion. As we have all learned by regular observation you are someone who is incapable of having a friendly, intelligent debate or discussion without engaging in such behavior. And typically, you will escalate matters until you get the thread locked as you have done on three recent occasions, all the while trying to blame me or others for the outcome.

Last edited:
Well then, I will make you aware that I have a Viofo A119 v2 that I had to replace because it began silently stopping its recording. I would find only the beginnings of my trips recorded. It would stop after about 30 minutes sometimes.
I replaced it with two A129 pro cameras. Why two cameras? Redundancy. It is very unlikely they will both fail at the same time.
All cameras can fail. I feel it is better not to have a single point of failure than to have the convenience of all the video synchronized on a single memory card.

DAP, I never ever mentioned the V2, so I don't see how that model has anything to do with this discussion about the V3. I had a V2 and retired it because I was not happy with it and I would never consider it reliable enough to use as a rear camera as I do the V3. Remember, I only went with a second A119 V3 for the rear after I had some experience with the first one I purchased and discovered what a great product it was. 26 months without any problems or failures whatsoever with either camera (or memory cards) is a pretty good track record in my book, especially compared with some of the many other cameras I've had hands-on experience with over the last 12 years.

If you feel you want a single point of failure with a dual channel camera, that's your prerogative. For now as least, I prefer this two camera approach and it has worked extremely well for me. And, as you point out, redundancy can be quite useful. If one of my V3s should fail when I am out on the road, like you I can swap one for the other instantly if I needed to, at least to insure that I still have a working primary front camera until I get home. For the same reason, I always travel with spare memory cards.

Last edited:
Back