Viofo A229 Pro (unboxing & first impressions) (Novatek NT96529, Sony IMX678/IMX675/IMX307, HDR³, GPS⁴, 5Ghz WiFi, 4k front + 2k rear + 1080p cabin)

I mean both dashcams that I talked about use same internal thermal sensor. To be clear only latest Novatek chipset based on ARM architecture have such sensor, previous chipsets based on MIPS architecture does not have it.
If we stayed on topic and talked about A229Pro - only front cam have it but rear cam - not.

But not all dashcams with hardware thermal sensor have firmware support for powerOff on high temp feature - like A229Duo for example.
I was just about to ask @viofo @VIOFO-Support about this, and why the older models do not turn off under adverse heat conditions, but you have answered my question perfectly :)

All dashcams use internal thermal sensor inside Novatek chipsets.
For Vantrue N4Pro overheat Power Off level is 130 degree of Celsius and detect duration is 10 minutes.
For Viofo A229Pro overheat level is 111 degree of Celsius and detect duration is 30 seconds (10 secs for detection, next 20 secs showing warning message on LCD and next power off).

Previous Viofo dashcams does not have ability to power off on overheat so we all did not see it before.
My Viofo A229 Duo work at 140 degrees w/o any power off:
Makes sense but I wonder why the Nexus 4 Pro did not shut down but the A229 Pro does...

Due higher power off level compared with Viofo and probably better cooling due larger cooling radiator/another form factor as @Mtz states.
I'm planning to test my 3 dashcams - A229Duo, A229Pro and Vantrue N4Pro on same video quality settings with my thermal monitoring mod firmwares and post temperature charts. But it will be at winter time so no overheat, only compare temps between this models.

Due higher power off level compared with Viofo and probably better cooling due larger cooling radiator/another form factor as @Mtz states.
I'm planning to test my 3 dashcams - A229Duo, A229Pro and Vantrue N4Pro on same video quality settings with my thermal monitoring mod firmwares and post temperature charts. But it will be at winter time so no overheat, only compare temps between this models.
Will be interesting to see results between the three to be honest

Looks like the Starvis 2.0 processor is reaching Tmax and shutting down. There is no way to cool the heatsink and consequently you end up with a heat sandwich. The vents on the side do not provide enough passive cooling

Sorry I meant to say the vents on the side of the unit are too small. Not enough airflow can pass-through to cool the heatsink passively (i.e. no fan)

Will be interesting to see results between the three to be honest
Honestly Agie if it wasn't for you we wouldn't have seen this design flaw. You are a day or 2 away from summer while up here in the northern hemisphere we're approaching winter. Furthermore you're in Perth which is always bloody hot eh?

As this dash cam was launched/released in the fall of 2023 (relative to the northern hemisphere) we would have not seen this problem until 2024. All we would have to worry up here is our cars being too cold that the screen would start ghosting while the inside of the car was bone cold.

To further compound the heating issue, the windshield is insanely hot in comparison to the inside. Although that doesn't contribute much it still doesn't help as there no way to have the unit engulfed in cool air.

Reminds me of the days of the Pentium 4 chip. Although I didn't overclock mine the stock Intel cooler for the P4 was good but not great. An aftermarket one was better - heh the one I had was a Vantec Aeroflow spinning a whopping 5600 rpm (the fan diameter was 75mm). Then of course you can then install case fans to get air moving from the front of the computer over the motherboard and exhausting out the back. If that didn't work you would remove the side panels and run it open air. If that wasn't enough you get a regular desktop fan aimed at the motherboard. Watercooling was extremely niche back then and there weren't any closed loop water coolers only open loop.

VIOFO you're going to have to do something here. You can:

A. Shorten or remove the heatsink and make side vents larger and place ventilation elsewhere.
B. Install a user replaceable fan inside the unit. User replaceable because when it fails or on the verge of failure the noise it will make will be intolerable.
C. Time to move on from the wedge shape. Start with the standard point and shoot digital camera style and then start trimming the fat. Keep the screen but have backlit soft keys. Or you can make the screen much smaller and drop the live view look and more like pictogram digital display like you find on a printer/photocopy machine.
D. Release a new firmware which takes into account thermal throttling. So instead of on --> overheat hard shutdown have on --> thermal throttling to allow limited functionality --> hard shut down

Agie question. Under what load was your camera under when it went into hard shutdown. I.E. Was it in parking mode or was it completely off? I'm assuming the overheating shutdown was done as you started your car.

Honestly Agie if it wasn't for you we wouldn't have seen this design flaw. You are a day or 2 away from summer while up here in the northern hemisphere we're approaching winter. Furthermore you're in Perth which is always bloody hot eh?

As this dash cam was launched/released in the fall of 2023 (relative to the northern hemisphere) we would have not seen this problem until 2024. All we would have to worry up here is our cars being too cold that the screen would start ghosting while the inside of the car was bone cold.

To further compound the heating issue, the windshield is insanely hot in comparison to the inside. Although that doesn't contribute much it still doesn't help as there no way to have the unit engulfed in cool air.

Reminds me of the days of the Pentium 4 chip. Although I didn't overclock mine the stock Intel cooler for the P4 was good but not great. An aftermarket one was better - heh the one I had was a Vantec Aeroflow spinning a whopping 5600 rpm (the fan diameter was 75mm). Then of course you can then install case fans to get air moving from the front of the computer over the motherboard and exhausting out the back. If that didn't work you would remove the side panels and run it open air. If that wasn't enough you get a regular desktop fan aimed at the motherboard. Watercooling was extremely niche back then and there weren't any closed loop water coolers only open loop.

VIOFO you're going to have to do something here. You can:

A. Shorten or remove the heatsink and make side vents larger and place ventilation elsewhere.
B. Install a user replaceable fan inside the unit. User replaceable because when it fails or on the verge of failure the noise it will make will be intolerable.
C. Time to move on from the wedge shape. Start with the standard point and shoot digital camera style and then start trimming the fat. Keep the screen but have backlit soft keys. Or you can make the screen much smaller and drop the live view look and more like pictogram digital display like you find on a printer/photocopy machine.
D. Release a new firmware which takes into account thermal throttling. So instead of on --> overheat hard shutdown have on --> thermal throttling to allow limited functionality --> hard shut down

Agie question. Under what load was your camera under when it went into hard shutdown. I.E. Was it in parking mode or was it completely off? I'm assuming the overheating shutdown was done as you started your car.
Thank you for your words but I am only one part of the dedicated team here on this thread and on DCT. I'm sure someone would have figured it out sooner or later. The camera shutdown happened while my car ignition was on and the car had been idling for about 20 minutes while doing a school pickup.

I agree with your outlook on the matter, it does get pretty hot here down under and can have quite imposing effects on us as humans and the hardware haha. You have some good suggestions, I think the fan solution has been discussed at length here but agreed it probably isn't feasible. Thermal throttling might be an option too but not sure how seamless a switch in resolution and recording may be, although not impossible to implement.

It's a tough issue because it has come to my attention some instances of the Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro coming apart from the heat - I think that Vantrue and Viofo are having to come to some compromises now. Especially with heat issues, it's like what do you do with the design of the cooling solutions?

Also I've been beating on it like a drum (some people here agree with me, some don't), but why can't Novatek implement better solutions with their chipsets. Smaller node processes for their chipsets would go a long way to improving efficiency, lowering heat etc. The fact they're using nearly a decade old architecture doesn't sit right with me.

I think there's no one size fits all approach to the matter. I feel that Viofo and Vantrue are up against the limits of what they can do, because they are constrained by the technical limitations of the hardware. I believe they're doing the best they can under the circumstances.

@viofo @VIOFO-Support @Jeff_Vantrue

Last edited:
I think it's to early for jumping to conclusions. There are maybe thousands of dashcams sold and, for now, just one with reported heat problems.
And again, heat problems with air conditioning turned on it is just unbelievable. That's why I think/hope this is an isolated case.

Last edited:
I think it's to early for jumping to conclusions. There are maybe thousands of dashcams sold and, for now, just one with reported heat problems.
And again, heat problems with air conditioning turned on it is just unbelievable. That's why I think/hope this is a isolated case.
Of course, time will tell how the A229 Pro will behave in hot weather. But the A119 Mini had an isolated case.
When one person stated in his review that the Mini shuts down when it overheats. This was the only case.
In no other review has the Mini turned off due to overheating. But buyers didn't want to buy a Mini because
they had already watched that review on YouTube.

And again, heat problems with air conditioning turned on it is just unbelievable. That's why I think/hope this is a isolated case.
Air conditioning is fine within the vehicle. My reading was on the dashboard itself which was over 40 degrees Celsius with the sun shining down on it. Of course the temperature where I am in the drivers seat is a lot lot less cos the air con is blowing at me

Of course, time will tell how the A229 Pro will behave in hot weather. But the A119 Mini had an isolated case.
When one person stated in his review that the Mini shuts down when it overheats. This was the only case.
In no other review has the Mini turned off due to overheating. But buyers didn't want to buy a Mini because
they had already watched that review on YouTube.
That's the problem. What we may deduce about the dashcams that we test here, if it's a YouTube reviewer with 200k subs then of course their review is going to have more clout. Even if they don't know what they're doing or reviewing :mad:

I've never had a camera shut down (in the North West of England) even on the hottest of days in summer. It is the demographic of reviewers that is so widespread which alows for some things to be found that other will like as not ever experience.

As for YouTubers - I have a drone video approaching 90,000 views about a steam railway museum, but I know nothing about trains, lol...

Paul.

I've never had a camera shut down (in the North West of England) even on the hottest of days in summer. It is the demographic of reviewers that is so widespread which alows for some things to be found that other will like as not ever experience.

As for YouTubers - I have a drone video approaching 90,000 views about a steam railway museum, but I know nothing about trains, lol...

Paul.
Well there's that as well. Bear in mind England doesn't get as hot as Australia though nowhere near but your heatwaves still kill people, just like ours haha

That's exactly it, flash in the pan mate. Some people upload a random video on a random topic and get bazillions of views while others get nothing lol

That's exactly it, flash in the pan mate. Some people upload a random video on a random topic and get bazillions of views while others get nothing lol

My average viewing figures is between 200 and 500 I think. But if a video gets picked up on the YouTube Home page, it snowballs. (I hope you subscribed and watch a few though Agie, lol)...

The flip side of the heat coin in England (and elsewhere of course) is it rarely gets too cold to affect the camera too...

Paul.

My average viewing figures is between 200 and 500 I think. But if a video gets picked up on the YouTube Home page, it snowballs. (I hope you subscribed and watch a few though Agie, lol)...

The flip side of the heat coin in England (and elsewhere of course) is it rarely gets too cold to affect the camera too...

Paul.
That's true about the camera and weather conditions haha

I have a similar amount of subs as you but started years and years ago. I got out when they stopped monetizing YouTube for us lower sub / lower watch minutes folks. Had a couple of flash in the pan videos but that was about it haha. Has lost its shine for me.

Paul.
Link?

I also have a drone video of a steam engine that suddenly got a lot of views, then it started getting lots of comments, and recently someone "Remixed" it!
No chance of doing the same with a dashcam video.

Link?

I also have a drone video of a steam engine that suddenly got a lot of views, then it started getting lots of comments, and recently someone "Remixed" it!
No chance of doing the same with a dashcam video.

Lol the links right there in blue.

Back