A118 Novatek 96650 Full HD 1080P Car Camera DVR

Provided lead into a cigarette socket mounted under the dash that takes a direct fused live

Panic over. Thanks for the help and sorry for false alarm and doubting the A118.

The problem does indeed appear to have been with my media players. I use VLC and MPC-HC as my main players. Both were showing jerkiness. VLC is at current version but MPC was out of date. After updating there is no jerkiness using MPC.

It seems it was coincidental that the problem was only seen with the video from the A118. I view my Mobius videos often, using both VLC and MPC and never had any jerkiness.

My PC is powerful enough. Its an i7-920 @ 2.67GHz with 12GB RAM.

I'm so pleased it's not the A118 as the pics are brill.

I have found PotPlayer to be very format friendly

Double checked your connections?

Got another power supply you can try?

Power supply seems fine as if it was disconnecting I would expect it to stop and start again. I have turned the screensaver off so not seeing any "blips" - all connections double checked and sound

FoxOffer are suggestions using transcend instead of sandisk

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/Transcend/Transcend-32GB-Premium-Micro-SDHC-Class-10
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDH...32GB-Micro-SD-(SDHC)-Card---20MB_s---Class-10

Which may be best from experience on here?

Novatek solution can be fussy with Sandisk cards, I've used Samsung in just about everything and never had an issue, currently using Kingston also with good results

I'd suggest sticking with 32gb, yes 64gb 'can' work but you need to format in the PC, if you find yourself in the situation where you need to format in the camera while you're out on the road you could end up with no recordings

Yea - you are right - ordered from Amazon, so will see when they arrive if they work better - thanks for the advice

This camera has minus point, there is no motion detection.

it has motion detect but it does only rely on the CMOS sensor for this, not ideal for parking mode use if this was the intention

Anyway, Motion Detection is always bull****, on any cheap dashcam :D

Last edited:
on any, no, you do need to spend more to get one where it works effectively though, if there's no pre buffer then it's not worthwhile anyway
Could you please give some examples of dashcams where motion dectection works fine ?
(juste for our information)

I've edited my previous post, added "cheap" word.

you'll need to look at Korean cameras for this function, maybe some Taiwanese models, for correct parking mode you need the function to work via the CMOS sensor, the G-Sensor and to be pre buffering so when triggered it actually saves footage from prior to the event, I don't think there's a clear winner as to which is the best solution out there for this as some are better than others or do things a little differently to others

OK but in that case, the function is "parking mode", not "motion detection" ?

Back