Cons and pros of adhesive vs. regular CPL?

CrimsonTwo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm about to pull the trigger on CPL and noticed that Blueskyesea offer an adhesive version. Given the issues that some have adjusting their regular CPL, are there any cons/pros of going with the adhesive vs. the regular version (except for the fact that one is a "permanent" attachment).

Thanks.

Attachments

• 61aXZ0AzwhL._SL1000_[1].jpg
    61aXZ0AzwhL._SL1000_[1].jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 71RLgav2zRL._SL1000_[1].jpg
    71RLgav2zRL._SL1000_[1].jpg
    141 KB · Views: 40
the adhesive version will work on the old lens housing, if you have the newer type lens housing to suit the clip on lens then that is the better option, no idea what the quality is like on the adhesive version as it has nothing to do with the manufacturer

Reactions: Mtz
Thanks. Are there images of the newer lens housing/things I should look for? I've just received the Blueskyesea A119, so hoping it's the newer version?

Thanks. Are there images of the newer lens housing/things I should look for? I've just received the Blueskyesea A119, so hoping it's the newer version?
If you have little notches on the top and bottom of the lens housing, you have the newer style. If you just received it, then you should have the newer style.

If you have little notches on the top and bottom of the lens housing, you have the newer style. If you just received it, then you should have the newer style.

Thanks for the quick verification method as I was wondering how one would be able to verify that a Viofo A119 can accept the newly designed snap on CPL. I recently ordered a couple of A119 from eBay/Adorama and at least one of them in the box have indented notches.

the adhesive version will work on the old lens housing, if you have the newer type lens housing to suit the clip on lens then that is the better option, no idea what the quality is like on the adhesive version as it has nothing to do with the manufacturer
Adhesive cpl from the same manufacturer of ddpai m6 plus cpl;and we test it myself,this adhesive cpl fit new batch a119 lens also!

Unfortunately, I found the CPL filter a big disappointment. I know others will disagree with me, but I felt it was too difficult to adjust. It clearly is a great idea and very much-needed–but adjusting it proves too difficult. Basically you have to have the camera in the position where you can see the result on the screen and place and replace the filter repeatedly using your fingers to manually move the filter around in different positions while you try to determine what the correct setting is. This is far too difficult to accomplish and for me, impossible to accomplish with the camera attached to the windshield. I decided that since I could not adjust the filter properly I would just remove it and not use it on the camera. They need to make it easier to adjust the proper setting for the polarizer. Also, it should be free with camera.

Unfortunately, I found the CPL filter a big disappointment. I know others will disagree with me, but I felt it was too difficult to adjust. It clearly is a great idea and very much-needed–but adjusting it proves too difficult. Basically you have to have the camera in the position where you can see the result on the screen and place and replace the filter repeatedly using your fingers to manually move the filter around in different positions while you try to determine what the correct setting is. This is far too difficult to accomplish and for me, impossible to accomplish with the camera attached to the windshield. I decided that since I could not adjust the filter properly I would just remove it and not use it on the camera. They need to make it easier to adjust the proper setting for the polarizer. Also, it should be free with camera.
Unless you bought from the first batch when they first came out (they were adjusted incorrectly), there is no need for user adjustment. These are preset from the manufacturer.
Edit: I'm referring to the Viofo CPL, not the generic adhesive one.

Unless you bought from the first batch when they first came out (they were adjusted incorrectly), there is no need for user adjustment. These are preset from the manufacturer.
Edit: I'm referring to the Viofo CPL, not the generic adhesive one.
Yes, I ordered it–the Viofo clip on model–directly from FoxOffer in Singapore in November of last year when it first came out. Next Time I guess I will wait a bit, I guess it's better to wait until they've got it all figured out and properly adjusted before purchasing. Thank you for the information.

This thread has a number of different methods for aligning CPLs.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...er-manual-adjustment-how-to-adjust-diy.15022/

This is one I use(d) very successfully.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...nt-how-to-adjust-diy.15022/page-2#post-197505

After you figure out the optimal orientation mark the filter in some way so when you mount it on the camera it's orientated the same way.

Try holding the filter up to your eye and looking directly through it instead of looking at through the camera. That's what I did.

I bought the adhesive version. There was an arrow which I gathered from the google translated Chinese instructions to mean install it with the arrow pointed up. However looking through the filter it actually needed to be installed with the arrow sideways.

Clip on filter is probably better but the adhesive version is very good at cutting down the glare and reflections.

I bought the adhesive version. There was an arrow which I gathered from the google translated Chinese instructions to mean install it with the arrow pointed up. However looking through the filter it actually needed to be installed with the arrow sideways.
Can you post a close picture with this arrow from the CPL mounted on the camera?

enjoy,
Mtz

Can you post a close picture with this arrow from the CPL mounted on the camera?

enjoy,
Mtz

Sorry, I don't have one. The arrow was on the protective film that is removed when installing.

This thread has a number of different methods for aligning CPLs.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...er-manual-adjustment-how-to-adjust-diy.15022/

This is one I use(d) very successfully.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...nt-how-to-adjust-diy.15022/page-2#post-197505

After you figure out the optimal orientation mark the filter in some way so when you mount it on the camera it's orientated the same way.
Thank you for this, this is very helpful. I'm now ready to replace the filter on the camera knowing that it's adjusted properly, thanks to your help.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/cpl-status.20524/page-23#post-305351

1DLnzTN.png

enjoy,
Mtz
Actually,this is the same installation way as M6 Plus CPL,user can get video guide from technoam youtube here:
(CPL Filter - what it does and is it worth buying segment 11:39)

Actually,this is the same installation way as M6 Plus CPL,user can get video guide from technoam youtube here:
(CPL Filter - what it does and is it worth buying segment 11:39)

worthwhile (only) option for the DDPai, for the A119 better off with the filter @viofo are using which is a higher quality glass filter

Back