Anyone have any easy non-obd solutions to vehicles with always on fuses?

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my mother got a new chevy silverado. I don't want to have to do any crazy install, but maybe accessing the ignition switch is the only option at this point. On her and her husbands older silverado I used a mini 0806 with an OBD power cord. It turned off when the truck turned off. I tried the @7DayCam blackvue OBD cord and it did not power it on at all. I thought maybe it was just the DR490 that was not supported. So once I got the DR750S i tried the 7daycam obd kit on my tacoma and it worked for both the 750s and 490, but the problem is even when its switched off, and my tacoma is off it still powers the cams.

I tried a random obd cable from amazon with a micro usb plug and it stays on even when the truck is on while switched on, but stays off even when the truck is off when the switch is off.

I thought the whole point is when you switch it off, it will still power on when your car turns on like the power magic pro but turn off with ignition.

Silverados dont have any fuses that are off when the ignition is off so a power magic pro or similar kit doesnt work.

Is my only option tapping into the ignition? I thought maybe the mirror might have some wires that could turn off when the truck is off but I have to wait until next weekend before I go over to their house again to test.

Are you absolutely certain there are no fuses that switch off with the ignition?

does it have a heated rear screen? (I know obviously the rear screens are not usually like a standard car)

Many people hardwire to the heated screens as the majority of manufacturers have these on switched fuses

On my older GMC PU one of the cig lighter ports shuts off with the ignition, the other, doesn't. Not sure it's still this way?

Odd that things like the wipers.. radio would be powered on all the time.. there must be ACC only circuits..

Odd that things like the wipers.. radio would be powered on all the time.. there must be ACC only circuits..
apparently there are multiple interior fuse boxes on the newest generation, I will have to recheck.

I recall on their older silverado i checked every fuse and they all lit up when off. the 12v sockets and usb ports are all on when the truck was off. I searched forums and everyone said thats just how it is. My coworker has a GMC Sierra and he had to get his dash cam wired to the ignition wire under the dash, which I was trying to avoid but probably not as hard as I think.

Multi safer ;)

That being said, with so many harnesses in the car you should be able to find a wire that is ignition switched if you poke around with a multimeter.
I believe the current gen Silverado/Sierra has all of one ignition switched fuse in the panel that's right by the steering wheel

Back