thinkware f800 pro personal hotspot

Hyundai kona 2024

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
thinkware t700 lte
camrea trys logging into my persnal hotspot but just keeps flahing then then cant find hotspot when it is turned on on my phone. then gives up and say conect to wifi,
its driving me nutts now

Turn hotspot off and on. On your device. The camera will connect automatically if it had connected once in the pass. If not then make sure you read manual and follow paring. It will require for you to have hotspot off on your device prior to paring.

So far every single call i have had about connectivity issues i have sent this video link to http://www.chameleondirect.co.uk/wo...0-pro-connection-to-smartphone-android-apple/ and i don't hear back from them.

I would go into the phones WiFi and select the Thinkware network and 'forget' it. Also factory reset the F800 (Wait for camera to power up & record and then hold the manual record & microphone buttons until you hear 3 or 4 bleeps then a verbal message) watch the video and start again! Once it's been paired via hotspot once it's a doddle from then on!

Hm. I didn't know you can factory reset these things.

Ok I seem to have my personal hotspot spot working now,
Many thanks for all your help

Quick update it’s not automatically connecting even though my hotspot is turned on on my iPhone,
Never had this problem before as I also use a camera on my road bike and that automatically connects to my iPhone and track ware my bike is if I have an emergency.it will contact a dedicated person.
So I don’t know why Thinkware have made this so difficult to understand

https://cycliq.com/products/fly12/

Last edited:
Turn on wifi on your phone and press the wifi button. The wifi LED should be flashing green. Search for a wifi access point titled "ThinkwareXXX". Connect to it using the F800/F800 Pro app. The camera will disconnect and tries to connect to your phone via hot spot (Wifi LED flashing blue). Set your F800 app to connect your camera via Wifi hot spot. You will need to turn on Wifi hot spot on your phone.

Hope this helps.

So I need to press the WiFi button every time I get in the car :confused:

Pressing the wifi button once puts it in wifi mode to use with the app for initial setup and for subsequent use. In this mode, some features in the app are not available. Pressing the wifi button the second time disconnects it and the Pro will then beginning searching for hotspot already configured to connect to. In this mode, all the features in the app are available. It doesn't need the app though for the Pro to connect to hotspot already configured. The Pro will also auto begin searching for configured hotspot to connect once you start your car when it goes into continuous recording mode.

You said you will need to manually press the wifi button each time to connect to hotspot? Are you connecting it this way with the app? If so and if you are are not hearing "connected to the internet" (Note: This is different from "connected to a smartphone" as this announcement is only for when the app is connected. Only hotspot has internet and thus the announcement "connected to the internet"), it means you are connected in wifi mode, not hotspot mode. Another hint if you are connecting in wifi mode is that hotspot settings in connection settings is grey out. If for some reason only manually pressing the wifi button allows you to connect to your smartphone's hotspot, try adding the SSID and password of the portable router you've bought under connection settings > hotspot settings and see if it does auto connect to it after making sure it's saved and you have disabled your smartphone's hotspot. (Still waiting for someone to confirm if it auto connects to hotspot other than the smartphone's). You should also be able to see the smartphone's hotspot entry too while there.

Otherwise, Maddog1974 already explained how to forget the Thinkware SSID network configuration and reset the dashcam to factory default to set it up all over again following the provided video link which covers the exact steps.

In addition to his advice I would also suggest if you cannot remember the steps, perhaps have another phone with the video playing while setting up so that you can follow the exact steps.

However, prior to doing so, if you are able to connect to the dashcam in either wifi or hotspot mode, ensure F800 Pro is already updated to latest v1.01.01 firmware for F800 Pro and your iPhone the latest iOS Thinkware Cloud v1.1.2.

http://www.thinkware.com/Support/Download#1
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thinkware-cloud-f800-f800pro/id1247351995?mt=8

If you are setting it up at a location where your smartphone can also connect to the internet via wifi, I would also suggest either you move away from its range totally or switch the router off or if you cannot do either, then forget that wifi network as well. I've encountered my smartphone wanting to connect to my home wifi even if the signal is weaker than the Pro so it adds a significant delay to finding the Pro and the Pro will timeout and exit the wifi mode and begin searching for hotspot.

Find video on hot to set up Dash cam to hotspot for the first time. Once set up and connected to the app then follow this for auto connect. You can also do this to add a personal hotspot in your car or from near WiFi location.

1. Make sure your dash cam has been set up for the first time as HOTSPOT and connected to the app; Should say “dash cam is connected via hotspot” at the lower part of the app.
2. Click on connection settings.
View attachment 34570

3. Click on Hotspot settings.
View attachment 34571
4. Note the name of your device, mine is named “iphone X”
5. Click on the + tap on the top right.
View attachment 34572
6. Add the hotspot of the device you want to connect automatically.
For my phone I used my exact hot spot name and password.
For my car’s hot spot I had to change my hotspots settings to 2.4Ghz since 5Ghz is not supported.
View attachment 34573
7. Once you have entered SSID and password click on Done and then click on SAVE. It will give you a quick loop and then it would act as nothing happen. This is because your phone is already connected. But the important part is that it has been saved in the camera.
Next time you turn your car on the Dashcam will connect automatically. This is as long as you maintain hotspot on. In your phone. Enjoy

IMG_0536 IPHONE.jpg quick update f800 pro will connect to hotpsot but i have to turn my personal hotspot on my iphone to connect every time,
surley that cant be right . YOU SEE I KEEP MY PERSONAL HOTSPOT ON ALL THE TIME
FOR WHEN IM OUT AND ABOUT and every thing else connects ipart from the f800 pro ???
HELP PLEASE
:mad::mad::mad::mad::(;)

Last edited:
View attachment 34664 quick update f800 pro will connect to hotpsot but i have to turn my personal hotspot on my iphone to connect every time,
surley that cant be right . YOU SEE I KEEP MY PERSONAL HOTSPOT ON ALL THE TIME
FOR WHEN IM OUT AND ABOUT and every thing else connects ipart from the f800 pro ???
HELP PLEASE
:mad::mad::mad::mad::(;)

do i need my vpn turned on

I have spent a couple of hours trying all sorts of different ways to connect to the hotspot so that I can help out, but unfortunately I am not able to do it. I tried exactly to the instructions in the videos. I can connect via wi-fi, but not via the hotspot, which I think means that I will not be able to use the cloud functions. I also made sure that all of the settings on the phone were active for the hotspot connections. I am happy anyway with the camera as it does what I want it to and that is to film footage as and when I need it. As for the new technology, I think it still has a bit of work before it can be used efficiently on all devices. I have been testing it on a Sony XA1 G3112 Android 7 phone.

In all honesty i struggled a bit with my Sony Xperia X phone, i've never had another call or anything about the same problem from a customer so assumed it was just my phone. I then used a Motorola phone and it worked perfect so i then inputted my Sony hotspot details with the Motorola and it works fine with my Sony now. I think Sony phones may be a little strange as Thinkware modified the F770 app slightly for any problematic Sony phones. I will forward this to Thinkware to see what they say.

Can i just ask at what point it was going wrong, how far could you get?

OK. I don't know what I have done. I just tried one last time and I have now managed to connect to the Hotspot. It took some time to connect. First there was a Tethering Error, which I am guessing is because the mobile internet was not active and the wi-fi was. I activated the mobile internet and then it messed about for a while so I left it alone and eventually it connected to the hotspot this time. My next hurdle is trying to locate the device on the Thinkware Cloud. The GPS is connected. I have managed to add a zone with Set Geo-Fencing.

I think as far as the hotspot is concerned it’s a apple security protection thing . As I have to connect and disconnect several times before it connects , I don’t think it’s the same with android phones,

I think as far as the hotspot is concerned it’s a apple security protection thing . As I have to connect and disconnect several times before it connects , I don’t think it’s the same with android phones,
I have an Android phone and it connected easily after I turned the hotspot on within the phones settings. I have a Google Pixel 2 phone..

Just as I thought.
Don’t no if I could get on with an android phone again after using apple phones since the iPhone 4 came out and just brought a iPhone 8,
The only way I could do it is buying a cheap android phone with a pay as you go sim in it ???

I have struggled with he Pro hotspot as well spent hours trying to get it to work.
IMO the Blackvue is a breeze compared trying to set up the Thinkware and offers way more accessibility to the cam one you are connected.

Back