0801 Front & Rear Dual Camera Hardwired Install

@Klippie, very neat.
one question, can you explain how to wired 12v to 5v converter (i don't good with electric wire but want to try)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a multimeter to isolate a positive permanent live wire at the fuse box, connected in a 2amp in-line fuse and then to the converter. Have a look under the dashboard for an earth point there is usually a 6mm stud under there somewhere and use that.

To wire in a switch...simply cut the positive wire and connect the two wires one to each terminal of the switch.

Great job, really neat!

Very nice...Perfection is everything!

Couple of questions, is the switch necessary to power the cameras whenever the car is operating, or only necessary when the car is parked? I like having my camera powered on automatically when the car starts. And, I notice that you've plugged the 5volt into the camera, not the GPS head. Does the GPS work using this arrangement?

Again, nice work,
Steve

I have just knocked together a quick circuit diagram that will power the camera by ignition when the switch is in the off position then supply permanent power when it is in the on position. No need for any extra components just a SPDT switch instead of a SPST switch like these here.
fptN7WG.jpg

Last edited:
None of my 0801's have GPS...the front mount does not allow power through when the USB is plugged into it I have to use the USB port on the camera for it to work I don't know why it just does.

The rear mount allows power through to the camera so I use that method...it looks more tidy for the rear application.

As for the mounts becoming slack...mine are a positive click fit, I don't remove them too often I take the memory cards out if I need to download any files.

Do you get a good perspective from the rear camera when it is set so low on the tailgate? I have a Mini 0803 on front windscreen mounted with 3M tape stuck on the windscreen and base making it easy to remove the mount rather than sliding the camera on and off. Hoping to do the same on the back window of my Corolla wagon but love your setup. I have a wonderful son-in-law who could fit it up for me!

Yes...it's every bit as good as the front view.

Back