0806 GPS issue

Ped Joyce

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , my first post...be gentle.

I bought a (I think second gen) 0806 off ebay, was around the £100 mark with the hardwire kit , 32gb mem card & filter. It records fine, no issues with that, but the GPS takes between 5-7 minuets to "lock on" to the satellites, is that normal? Tried the dashcamtalk firmware and its still the same.

Thanks

cold start will always take longer, if your vehicle has an athermic windscreen it will impact reception

Thanks, its just a normal windscreen (02 plate Corsa 1.2) , 5-7 minuets seems excessive to me. My journey is often over by then.

... 5-7 minuets seems excessive to me. My journey is often over by then.

Try walking. A car engine won't reach normal operating temperature over such a short distance / timescale. Every cold start shortens an engine's lifespan. Don't ever think about buying a diesel with a particulate filter.

Last edited:
Thanks, its just a normal windscreen (02 plate Corsa 1.2) , 5-7 minuets seems excessive to me. My journey is often over by then.
It's a bit long for a mini 0806, and on your return journey the same day it should be a few seconds. Some 2002 cars had metalized windscreens to keep heat out, could be a reception problem, might be interference from another GPS device, maybe you haven't mounted it with the base flat against the glass as it is designed to be mounted?

Yeah I guess I should have put more info in my OP. I mounted it with the sticky pad it cam with, it feels solid and mounted correctly. I don't have any other GPS devices in the car, but when I gdid they worked flawlessly (TomTom One) .

Do you have an old 0801/0803/0805 GPS base you could try the camera on to compare results?

Not sure there is much else you can try, if you haven't used it for a few days then you should expect it to take 2 minutes to connect and depending on where the satellites are it can take several minutes more, especially if you live under a significant hill, if you have used it recently then it should connect within 1 minute. As long as it isn't loosing connection again, except in tunnels, then it is should probably be considered working.

Back