Issue with 0806 - Weird beep and screen coming on

JJD101

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. My first post here so please be gentle with me. I've been looking around for a while but found now to be the right time to start posting

A couple of weeks back I got myself a Mini 0806 and 2 x 32gb Samsung Evo cards

Initially the dashcam was working absolutely without issue. It is in use for several hours each day and I am formatting the cards individually every 2 days in the camera. I have also used the Hardwire kit to be on with the ignition, and not permanently on

The last couple of days even after formatting, the camera beeps and the screen comes on. It seems like it is still recording, but I need to get rid of the beep and the screen activating while driving. The card is less than half full when this happens so it's not to do with looping

It is only a single beep, and it's really quiet. The beep can only be explained as it sounds like the error beep from Windows XP (More of an electronic 'thunk' rather than a beep)

I'm currently running the H2testw on the cards and will post results when done. I'm pretty sure they are genuine though

Has anyone else experienced the same or can offer any explanation of what it could be and a possible fix?

Thanks in advance

First card result

Warning: Only 30515 of 30516 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 22.4 MByte/s
Reading speed: 39.7 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Which firmware are you using? (There is a new beta version on the mini0806 website.)

My 0806 has been running all year with only 1 format - it is not necessary to do it every 2 days. Also I think it is better to format it on a Windows PC if you have one.

I've never heard a single error beep from it, that is a strange one. It does run Windows as its operating system though, so an error beep does probably mean that there is an error of some sort...

Hi Nigel. Thanks for the reply. The firmware is the stock one it was delivered with - 0806 GD 20151029 V1.0

I generally don't mess with firmware. This was purchased from Combi UK which I believe uses custom firmware (Just the Combi splash screen is different as far as I am aware). I'm fairly tech savvy (10 years as a trainer for a software house prior to my current job) so am not averse to loading new firmware

The beep is really quiet and can only be heard when the radio is off. I am a driving instructor so it's really obvious. I forgot to mention, a couple of times I've had the shutdown beeps followed immediately by the startup tones. I guess it's related

2nd card results

Warning: Only 30515 of 30516 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 22.4 MByte/s
Reading speed: 39.6 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Hi Nigel. Thanks for the reply. The firmware is the stock one it was delivered with - 0806 GD 20151029 V1.0

I generally don't mess with firmware. This was purchased from Combi UK which I believe uses custom firmware (Just the Combi splash screen is different as far as I am aware). I'm fairly tech savvy (10 years as a trainer for a software house prior to my current job) so am not averse to loading new firmware

The beep is really quiet and can only be heard when the radio is off. I am a driving instructor so it's really obvious. I forgot to mention, a couple of times I've had the shutdown beeps followed immediately by the startup tones. I guess it's related
I wonder if you have a power issue, did it shutdown on the car being stalled and restarted resulting in low voltage for a few seconds? Maybe try a different adaptor if you have one, or the supplied adaptor if you have it hardwired. Also you can plug the power direct into the camera instead of the base which removes any issue with the base as the cause.

Might be worth trying it with just one card.

Combi UK will give you good support, and they will probably be happy for you to update the firmware if you want to give the update a try.

The problem is very simple - I have already been there. If it beeps (especially three times), it is having problems with your card. The card can test perfectly fine but that is totally unimportant. The 0806 is very sensitive, it appears to which card it uses. I first started with a SanDisk and then an EVO. Neither of them IMHO are compatible with this unit, period. Don't waste your time with these cards, you may get them to work for a bit but you are much better off with something that plain works. My brand new EVO beeped immediately as soon as I put it in.

I took the recommendations here and purchased a Samsung Pro Plus and it has worked perfectly from the instant I have put it in. Others here seem to concur. There are at least two threads this week on a similar topic, check them out.

This is the vendor on eBay I purchased it from:

www.ebay.com/itm/181989879642

I wonder if you have a power issue, did it shutdown on the car being stalled and restarted resulting in low voltage for a few seconds? Maybe try a different adaptor if you have one, or the supplied adaptor if you have it hardwired. Also you can plug the power direct into the camera instead of the base which removes any issue with the base as the cause.

Might be worth trying it with just one card.

Combi UK will give you good support, and they will probably be happy for you to update the firmware if you want to give the update a try.

Thanks again Nigel. There definitely wasn't a stall, but you could be onto something with the power blip. My car has Stop/Start tech and this was in use on the occasions of the issue

I will try the cig lighter adaptor again and see if makes a difference. I've already taken one card out and will see if that has an effect tomorrow

The problem is very simple - I have already been there. If it beeps (especially three times), it is having problems with your card. The card can test perfectly fine but that is totally unimportant. The 0806 is very sensitive, it appears to which card it uses. I first started with a SanDisk and then an EVO. Neither of them IMHO are compatible with this unit, period. Don't waste your time with these cards, you may get them to work for a bit but you are much better off with something that plain works. My brand new EVO beeped immediately as soon as I put it in.

I took the recommendations here and purchased a Samsung Pro Plus and it has worked perfectly from the instant I have put it in. Others here seem to concur. There are at least two threads this week on a similar topic, check them out.

This is the vendor on eBay I purchased it from:

www.ebay.com/itm/181989879642

Thanks Joel - I'll try another couple of things before going down the new MSD card route. Thanks for the link and appreciate the time in replying

Which firmware are you using? (There is a new beta version on the mini0806 website.)

My 0806 has been running all year with only 1 format - it is not necessary to do it every 2 days. Also I think it is better to format it on a Windows PC if you have one.

I've never heard a single error beep from it, that is a strange one. It does run Windows as its operating system though, so an error beep does probably mean that there is an error of some sort...

Hi Nigel,
Are you saying an Ambarella based camera is running a form of Windows operating system on it?

Cheers,

Hi Nigel,
Are you saying an Ambarella based camera is running a form of Windows operating system on it?

Cheers,
I thought they all did, or at least the ones that play Windows startup/shutdown/message/alarm/etc sounds like the mini 0806 does.

But you probably know more about it than me since you make an Ambarella based camera?!

I thought they all did, or at least the ones that play Windows startup/shutdown/message/alarm/etc sounds like the mini 0806 does.

But you probably know more about it than me since you make an Ambarella based camera?!

They definitely don't run windows at all - if they have sounds/looks that are similar to windows it's because the developer has ripped them.

Ambarella runs a very stripped down version of linux - it's not like any version of linux you and i would know but rather linux through kernel and commands.

I'm not sure any chip currently could run Windows as it's resource intensive.

Cheers,

They definitely don't run windows at all - if they have sounds/looks that are similar to windows it's because the developer has ripped them.

Ambarella runs a very stripped down version of linux - it's not like any version of linux you and i would know but rather linux through kernel and commands.

I'm not sure any chip currently could run Windows as it's resource intensive.

Cheers,
Doesn't that Linux OS run as a task under Windows?

Hi Nigel,

Cheers,
This Ambarella based camera along with a few others claim to have a Windows operating system:
http://1054002.en.makepolo.com/products/Ambarella-Super-Full-HD-Car-DVR-p49406368.html

embedded Linux has nothing to do with Windows
That is true, but you can run a copy of Linux under another operating system.

After a bit of reading it seems most current Ambarella cameras, including GoPro use PrKERNEL from eSOL as the main operating system with a version of Linux running as a task for manufacturer software to use.

As for the mini 0806, well I don't know the full details of it's operating system, but it does use Windows sounds, except for the famous 3 beeps alarm sound - I created that.

@Nigel that will
1) Not be an official port and will run into a LOT of problems
2) Not be Windows CE 6.0 and could be linux configured to look like windows
3) Going back to 1) that port will have no support from Ambarella or Windows or well anyone and as stated in point 1) will be a unofficial port
4) Reiterating point 1 again.

If they have done it it's going to be horrendous at best and dangerous at worse. It will have no way to regulate power distribution or anything, you'd essentially be using a ticking fire.

So yes maybe you could be right, maybe 0806 does run Windows which is why it could have the horrendous issues it does so maybe you have actually found the reason for the bugs and lack of support.

If they have done it it's going to be horrendous at best and dangerous at worse. It will have no way to regulate power distribution or anything, you'd essentially be using a ticking fire.
Yes, I'm sure that it is going to cause all our cars to crash :eek:

In what ways is your camera any safer?

Now then Gentlemen, I'm hoping to bring this thread back on topic. I'll be honest, I don't really understand why the disagreement has happened on my thread

I do however think I have found why it's happening. Nigel, it seems like you were pretty close with the power surge. This happened again yesterday after a pupil went to start the car, didn't get the right sequence (Needs Clutch down to start), the cam powered on, ignition turned off and back on again before the shutdown sequence had time to happen. Effectively the cam had power and started up, lost power but didn't get time to shutdown before getting power again

Does this sound feasible?

Last edited:
Effectively the cam had power and started up, lost power but didn't get time to shutdown before getting power again

Does this sound feasible?
That is very feasible, the reason it waits 10 seconds after power loss before shutting down is to avoid this situation, most people will turn the ignition off for a lot less than 10 seconds when restarting a stalled car so for most people this situation never occurs. If you turn the ignition off for 10-12 seconds and then turn back on then it can miss the fact that you have restarted. Not sure about the single beep though, I thought that if it missed the power being turned back on then it just shut down normally.

One solution is to connect the camera to a power source which does not turn off so easily, for example mine is connected to a circuit that stays on for 3 minutes after the ignition is turned off. Most cars will have something that stays on for a while, in some the accessory power circuit stays on for a while, nearly all have an ECU circuit which stays on for a while for emissions regulations reasons.

Back