0806 GPS Mount Causes Cam to crash with card errors

brenning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I purchased my cam through Joovuu and it arrived the other day. When I try to use the cam with the GPS mount it causes the camera to become very slow and unresponsive, eventually throwing an error about "slow card speed" despite having 2 x Kingston 64GB Class 10 cards in. If I power the camera using the built in USB without the GPS mount attached it works / records fine. Anyone able to offer any help? Ideally I'd be looking for a Vendor or Manufacturer response here.

Brenning

Thanks for the reply

Yeah wiring looks fine, just tested it with my 0801 GPS mount and it has the same problem so deffo camera issue. Going to log a support ticket with Joovuu (let me guess, another 4 week wait for stock). Not particularly impressed for £100 to be honest.

Interesting response from Joovuu support. Seems they might not be selling the Mini 0806 any more:

"Message:

Dear Person,
Our contact at the developers seems to have gone missing so we are asking another contact a lot of questions. We are no longer stocking the 0806 and instead will be stocking another better camera.

Any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

https://www.joovuu.com"

interesting, they originally stated they were going to hold off stocking it until it was out and proven and for whatever reason changed their mind, guess that didn't work out for them as promised, can't say I blame them if they want to give up on the product, has caused them a lot of grief

interesting, they originally stated they were going to hold off stocking it until it was out and proven and for whatever reason changed their mind, guess that didn't work out for them as promised, can't say I blame them if they want to give up on the product, has caused them a lot of grief
May not be just the 0806 that is the issue, they appear to be out of stock of 0805 as well, I guess the issues date back to the 0803. Interestingly their reviews on the 0806 give it 5 stars out of 5, just 0.06 stars short of a perfect score, and that was lost for jerky playback which would have been nothing to do with the camera!

May not be just the 0806 that is the issue, they appear to be out of stock of 0805 as well, I guess the issues date back to the 0803. Interestingly their reviews on the 0806 give it 5 stars out of 5, just 0.06 stars short of a perfect score, and that was lost for jerky playback which would have been nothing to do with the camera!

they've had problems with all of the series I think, the 0803 in particular was quite bad for them though

they've had problems with all of the series I think, the 0803 in particular was quite bad for them though
Or an example of how one product with continuous issues breaks good relationship of a retailer with the supplier.
I've seen here too often that when a food company supplies one bad product to grocery store and customers complain, the grocery store stops selling anything from that company to make the customers happy as well as to wait for inspectors to check the food and approve them first.

It is a shame seeing as the prototypes are all going strong as far as I know but we all had the 0803 mounts

So I appear to have figured this one out. My Class 4 Micro SD HC (32GB) card from my mini 0803 cam works fine in the 0806 with GPS etc. However my Class 10 Micro SD XC (64GB) cards cause the error with the 0806, which feels to be down to write speed as when I turn GPS logging off on the 0806, recording is fine even when powered via the GPS mount (and using the 64GB class 10 SDXC cards). This is weird as the SDXC cards are class 10 so faster than the 32gb class 4 card.

Anyone any ideas on this? Hoping I've not wasted a load of money on SDXC cards

Last edited:
So I appear to have figured this one out. My Class 4 Micro SD HC (32GB) card from my mini 0803 cam works fine in the 0806 with GPS etc. However my Class 10 Micro SD XC (64GB) cards cause the error with the 0806, which feels to be down to write speed as when I turn GPS logging off on the 0806, recording is fine even when powered via the GPS mount (and using the 64GB class 10 SDXC cards). This is weird as the SDXC cards are class 10 so faster than the 32gb class 4 card.

Anyone any ideas on this? Hoping I've not wasted a load of money on SDXC cards
Interesting, the 0806 has been reported worked with just about every type of card so far including all class 4 cards! Excluding fakes of course.

A class 10 card has to be able to sustain a certain write speed, but I'm not sure there is anything that requires it to be able to sustain the write speed while writing two files simultaneously. The GPS logs are separate files in a separate folder to the video files so that may be confusing the cards. I would expect any class 10 card to work, or any class 6 card but some cards do struggle in certain circumstances.

If the 64GB cards are not new and you haven't done so already then I suggest reformatting the cards in the camera in case they are very fragmented from previous use.

If they are new then maybe see if you can test them by dropping multiple large files on them from your computer, without the camera involved. If you don't get a decent transfer rate on all files, ie faster than your class 4 card, then return them and get something decent.

You could also do a check with h2testw.exe if you haven't already done so, and post the speeds they achieve.

I'm not aware of problems with Kingston cards though, what specific model are they? Someone else may be using similar ones...

Interesting, the 0806 has been reported worked with just about every type of card so far including all class 4 cards! Excluding fakes of course.

A class 10 card has to be able to sustain a certain write speed, but I'm not sure there is anything that requires it to be able to sustain the write speed while writing two files simultaneously. The GPS logs are separate files in a separate folder to the video files so that may be confusing the cards. I would expect any class 10 card to work, or any class 6 card but some cards do struggle in certain circumstances.

If the 64GB cards are not new and you haven't done so already then I suggest reformatting the cards in the camera in case they are very fragmented from previous use.

If they are new then maybe see if you can test them by dropping multiple large files on them from your computer, without the camera involved. If you don't get a decent transfer rate on all files, ie faster than your class 4 card, then return them and get something decent.

You could also do a check with h2testw.exe if you haven't already done so, and post the speeds they achieve.

I'm not aware of problems with Kingston cards though, what specific model are they? Someone else may be using similar ones...
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the reply. They are Kingston Micro SDXC 64GB cards. I've uploaded a photo of one. Tried formatting in the camera already, no joy I'm afraid. Copying FROM the card via the camera USB gave me 10MBytes a sec copy speeds, not tried copying to it. My pc doesn't have a card reader so tricky testing direct, I'm sure someone else posted somewhere that they had these cards working.

Attachments

• $_57[3].jpg
    $_57[3].jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 21
Might be a silly question, but why does that SDXC packaging contain an SDHC card? Especially a 64GB one which is not possible!

Are you sure it is a genuine class 10 Kingston card?

Might be a silly question, but why does that SDXC packaging contain an SDHC card? Especially a 64GB one which is not possible!

Are you sure it is a genuine class 10 Kingston card?

Hi Nigel,

Good spot, just checking through this guys feedback (ebay) and he's got two negative (out of around 50 positive feedback) saying fake cards so I'm gonna investigate. They do show as 64GB when formatted though - mine also say SDXC on them

If his ebay advert contains the word "upgraded" then they are not real cards.

You can test them using the "h2testw.exe" software, use the camera as the card reader, it will probably find they are a lot smaller than 64GB, more likely 4GB with the extra "6" printed in front of the "4" on the card by the seller!

If he doesn't call them "upgraded" and h2testw.exe passes them then they are probably, but not definitely real.

Testing on my laptop (HP Probook 6460B) with adaptor so it can go in the SD slot. Attached is a screenshot of the Kingston 64GB. Tested my 32GB SDHC Class 4 at the same time and that gets 4.8MB / sec write speeds.

What do we think, fake?

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 21
Wont know if it is fake until it starts verifying and finds that what it wrote is not where it wrote it.

The write speed is rather slow but that could be the computer.

Personally I'm thinking their fake, as mine don't have the pink band along the bottom like the one in the attached pic from Amazon direct. My 32GB card (which works fine) does have the pink band. Time will tell as the test wont complete until much later tonight so i'll check it tomorrow

Attachments

• 41kGrXC5jkL[1].jpg
    41kGrXC5jkL[1].jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 7
Back