0806 Shut down during Firmware update

Wayne Molcher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I tried to update my 0806 firmware the other day and it powered off during the process, it now has a blank screen and red light only. I have tried to fix using the direct usb from the 0806 article page on this web site but windows will not recognise the camera, it comes up as unknown device (image of device manager attached), I have tried installing the "Ambarella_Evaluation_Board_1.2.3.0.inf" file, it show seperatley in device manager along with the unknown device (camera). Window has disabled the dashcam and gives this explaination "This device is disabled because the firmware of the device did not give it the required resources. (Code 29)" (image attached).
Can anyone help?

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 39
What version of the firmware were you trying to update to?

This may no help but, IIRC, Try right clicking on the unknown device. A pop up menu may appear where it can rescan for hardware.

What version of the firmware were you trying to update to?

This may no help but, IIRC, Try right clicking on the unknown device. A pop up menu may appear where it can rescan for hardware.
Thanks,
I was updating to the latest firmware on www.mini0806.com, scan for hardware changes makes no difference, still unknown device.

Hmm... I am not aware of another way other than this: http://www.mini0806.com/update.html

RECOVER BRICKED MINI 0806 CAMERA
02/25/2015
0 Comments

If your mini 0806 camera are dead after upgrade, please follow the below to recover.

download here (http://www.mini0806.com/firmware/mini0806-DirectUSB.zip)

1, Make a cable with Pin 4/5 shorted on micro usb (or use a OTG cable with male to male usb plug),
2, Extract the archive you have just downloaded,
3, Plug mini 0806 in to PC, it should make a sound to say new hardware plugged in, or an unknown device appears in device manager, (If it doesn't, unplug device and hold power button for 20 seconds till light goes out and plug back in) on windows 7 manually install the drivers, point to the folder you have just extracted, then go to DirectUSB/Drivers. if it doesn't work, please re-check the cable.
4, Let it install, then install the C++ distribution packs for your OS.
5, Run Direct USB
6, Click connect, make sure it detects device and says init dram ok.
7, Select relevant firmware file under firmware, then click Upload, it should all go smoothly, this process is quite quick, as soon as it stops doing the flash it will show a full green bar and OK.
8, Unplug mini 0806, hold power till LED light goes off, then turn it on and it should boot up...

references:https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/everything-you-need-to-recover-mini-0803.6302/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/bricked-0803-wont-start-help.6289
Add Comment

Seems like you've done that already.
May be charge the camera before trying again.
Also hard reset, press power for 20 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
the chipset driver is in the DirectUSB ZIP file downloaded.

the chipset driver is in the DirectUSB ZIP file downloaded.
I have tried to change the camera driver to the chipset driver in the zip file but windows will not allow the change. (see below Picture.)

11208-390c5e72f9cc5fcd386e197238db732a.jpg

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
What does it say if you click the details tab and then change the drop down box to Hardware IDs?

It says "USB/UNKNOWN", windows has disabled the device.

Last edited:
Try pressing and holding the "up" button on the camera, then plug the USB cable in.
Release the "up" button and Windows should detect it so you can install/upgrade the driver with the one supplied.

Try pressing and holding the "up" button on the camera, then plug the USB cable in.
Release the "up" button and Windows should detect it so you can install/upgrade the driver with the one supplied.
Thanks, The camera is now detected, but when I upload "amboot_hal_kernel_romfs_dsp_release.elf", it finishes with a fail and the message below.

Found 1 AMBA device!
Init DRAM ok.
[0] Wait device re-init...
[0] Found.
AMBA_USB_Simple_Response1 failed.

Any advise on this please.

My 0806 came up with a fail on verification as well, but once the firmware is upgraded or re-installed as normal after this, it should be ok and function as usual.

Keep in mind that when I tried this low level/kernel install a second time, straight after the first (to try resolving a different problem), my 0806 died.

Last edited:
Thanks, the camera now boots up, I had an issue with with the camera which I thought would be fixed with the firmware up date butis stil there, when the camera boots up it records but only for 35 seconds or so, then completly shuts down, this happens if it is plugged in to a mains usb charger ot the car.
Again any help would be appreiciated.

Thanks, the camera now boots up, I had an issue with with the camera which I thought would be fixed with the firmware up date butis stil there, when the camera boots up it records but only for 35 seconds or so, then completly shuts down, this happens if it is plugged in to a mains usb charger ot the car.
Have you checked the memory card using h2testw.exe ?

when the camera boots up it records but only for 35 seconds or so, then completly shuts down, this happens if it is plugged in to a mains usb charger ot the car.
@Rayman.Chan should answer to this problem. I don't think is a card problem.

I have checked the card no problem, it is formatted as FAT32. It also shuts down in USB Connecting mode.

Last edited:
@Rayman.Chan should answer to this problem. I don't think is a card problem.
I think the supplier should be the first call rather than the manufacturer.

It's an odd problem but if it is clearly not working then it probably needs replacing under warrantee.

Wayne is not the only user with that problem. Maybe is something easy to fix and fix will save a lot of time for the buyer and money from the seller or Rayman. And a simple solution, if exists, can help other people by sharing it. When I have a problem with a chinese product I am asking the seller if he knows a way to fix the problem by myself.
For example the SJ5000 camera have a very simple solution for random startup or shutdown and this is because 1 mm of plastic which can be easily removed by the user. How can be to send a camera back to China for just a simple solution which costs the user 3 minutes of a simple thing?

enjoy,
Mtz

Back