0806firmware-150323-DCT (custom bitrate version)

@Nigel,

Have you had any success changing the bitrate table of the latest firmware? It doesn't make any sense to me.

View attachment 13929
I haven't bothered with the May version, I like the parking guard and there isn't anything new that I want!

You are using the wrong search pattern, it makes sense if you use the right one.

Thanks. I've tried all the search patterns but nothing changes.
You have to reload it after selecting a different pattern, I think you want #2...

Ah! I didn't realise one had to select the pattern before loading the file. I feel a bit stupid now. :oops:

Many thanks for your help.

0806 newb here :)

My camera was shipped with 150511 firmware. Can I backup that version before I try a new firmware?

0806 newb here :)

My camera was shipped with 150511 firmware. Can I backup that version before I try a new firmware?
It is possible to back it up but I don't recommend it, too much chance of getting it wrong and bricking the camera. The versions on mini0806.com work fine so use those instead, or the one on this thread which will give you the extra menu option to turn off the startup and shutdown sounds.

Hi Nigel, I've been comparing footage recorded using the original firmware to the firmware you released and have to say there are definite improvements to the video quality using your firmware so thank you for that.

You mentioned that it is possible to further extract information in the shadows of videos, how might I ask is this achievable?

Last edited by a moderator:
You mentioned that it is possible to further extract information in the shadows of videos, how might I ask is this achievable?
I'm not sure what you are referring to with this question. I did point out that in your test videos, the 0806 was doing much better than the Mobius in the shadows due to it's use of WDR which I don't think the Mobius has. The default settings on the 0806 are the best it will do, the only thing to adjust is it's position and angle so that there isn't too much sky in the image and it isn't looking through too many reflections which will destroy detail in the shadows.

The mini 0806 normally does a good job of the shadows, if you find them too dark then the first step is to check the brightness and contrast adjustments on your monitor...

This shouldn't really make much difference to what is visible if the monitor is correctly set up but can make a big difference on an incorrectly set, or poor quality monitor, also I find that Registrator Viewer decodes the video a bit on the dark side and hides some of the darkest detail so again this can help.

It will work much better with high bitrate video since most of the stuff it makes visible is stuff that gets compressed out in low bitrate video and so wouldn't be there to be made visible.

Also, if you are editing the video in tools such as the free VSDC Video Editor then it is always worth considering adding a gamma adjustment for videos with dark areas in them, and again it will benefit from starting with high bitrate video so that it has data to adjust.

yes you do need to adjust those values to get the detail, a correctly adjusted monitor isn't going to do it by itself

Hi Folks/Nigel,

I downloaded Nigel's custom firmware and liked it so much I said I'd join up to say Thank You, you've finally given me my 0806.

I bought it to replace an 0801 (which is excellent btw) that I wanted to put on the rear windscreen, and just had not been happy with it's performance.It just never
No matter what settings I used, it just never seemed to be as good as or as reliable as the 0801.

I installed the custom firmware, and bang, perfect image, excellent quality.

I'll need to up my card from a 32gb to a 64gb, as the only settings now for me are the "2560x1080 30fps Superfine 24Mb/s" settings, as I also like to have a 5 hour capacity.

I even see that the mini 0806 website are even offering this firmware.

Thank You.

I even see that the mini 0806 website are even offering this firmware.

Thank You.
Nice to know the mini team continue to take an interest in the customers, some nice comments over on mini0806.com too :)

Thanks to everyone who has said thanks on both sites,

also thanks to @Tobi@s for his AFT tool that made it possible. (He has a donation page on his website: http://dc.p-mc.eu/tools/a7tool for anyone interested.)

Hi Nigel, just a question regarding your custom firmware and GPS,

does your firmware disable the GPS on the 0806? as I've noticed that the gps no longer functions since I updated the firmware (It doesn't really bother me, but just interesting to know)

No, it has no effect on the GPS.

Make sure you still have GPS set "ON" or to "LOG ONLY"... and that the green led is on, if it is flashing then there is a reception problem, if it is off then the camera is not receiving data from the GPS base.

hmmm, I didn't change any settings on it! I'll have another look around again, but as I said, it's no major loss.

Back