0806firmware-150323-DCT (custom bitrate version)

Hi Nigel, I can't seem to download it from the MEGA servers. Perhaps you can upload another link for me? I'm dying to try the new firmware as I've gotten the Mini 0806 today! Thanks.

Edit: nvm. Safari was giving me problems. Downloaded it using Google Chrome!

Nigel, thanks for the custom firmware.
I notice 1920 x 1080 30fps seems to be unchanged, quality isn't great.
Can you change that to use the 24mb/s bitrates too please in superfine?

Nigel, thanks for the custom firmware.
I notice 1920 x 1080 30fps seems to be unchanged, quality isn't great.
Can you change that to use the 24mb/s bitrates too please in superfine?
You will never get the same quality at 1920 x 1080 as you do at 2560 x 1080. Apart from having a lot more pixels, the 2560 has the narrower field of view so collects more detail and runs at sensor resolution so doesn't get messed up by scaling.

If you want 1920 x 1080 video to keep or watch on TV then the best solution is to record at 2560x1080 and then chop 320 pixels off either side on your computer, that way you have the wide angle in the original for if you have an accident and need to show someone doing something they shouldn't out at the side but the version you keep for viewing is zoomed in to a fairly normal viewing angle and looks much nicer than actually recording at 1920 x 1080. VSDC free video editor is good for chopping the sides off.

If you do want 1920 x 1080 with wide angle then what is wrong with the 45 fps mode which does have 24 mbps? A 30 fps version of that would not give better video, or save any space so I don't see any advantage...

If you do have a good reason then maybe if you can explain it...

s
You will never get the same quality at 1920 x 1080 as you do at 2560 x 1080. Apart from having a lot more pixels, the 2560 has the narrower field of view so collects more detail and runs at sensor resolution so doesn't get messed up by scaling.

If you want 1920 x 1080 video to keep or watch on TV then the best solution is to record at 2560x1080 and then chop 320 pixels off either side on your computer, that way you have the wide angle in the original for if you have an accident and need to show someone doing something they shouldn't out at the side but the version you keep for viewing is zoomed in to a fairly normal viewing angle and looks much nicer than actually recording at 1920 x 1080. VSDC free video editor is good for chopping the sides off.

If you do want 1920 x 1080 with wide angle then what is wrong with the 45 fps mode which does have 24 mbps? A 30 fps version of that would not give better video, or save any space so I don't see any advantage...

If you do have a good reason then maybe if you can explain it...
Thanks Nigel.
It's purely media player related Nigel, I Use a Dune HD D1 which can play these files natively, except it has issues with 45fps, as they played at 50hz.
It plays back 29.970hz stuff flawlessly, hence the need for top notch 30fps 1920 x 1080.
I do realise the 2560 x 1080 is superior in terms of pixels, resolution and angle, but i'd like to see how 1920 x 1080 at 30fps @ 24mb/s as my dune plays the current 1080 one flawlessly, albeit at like 10mb/s, which become very pixelated in light changes.
if its too much hassle , I understand.

Hello. Can you please help me to identify FW version on my Mini 0806? In the menu is mentioned:
Версия.PNG
But I cannot find this dates on Mini website.

Hello. Can you please help me to identify FW version on my Mini 0806? In the menu is mentioned:
View attachment 15058
But I cannot find this dates on Mini website.
It will be a custom one for the supplier, based on the previous release that is on mini0806.com but with a different logo and defaulting to Russian language.

I've downloaded and installed a couple times, but when I check version it comes up as 150320 instead of 150323. Ideas?

It was built a couple of days before release, presumably to allow some testing - don't worry.

Hi,

I have downloaded the custom bitrate firmware and extracted to .bin to my desktop. Connecting my 0806 to USB while holding the UP button, the computer picks up the 0806. In DirectUSB I am able to connect to 0806. Firmware Programming I choose the file firmware.bin which I've extracted to the Desktop. While still holding the UP button, I click Download and I get a Failed!!.. When I unchecked the Verify portion, the firmware is successful but my camera is still showing "0806 GD 2015011 V1.0"

Attachments

• 0806fail.JPG
    0806fail.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 11
direct USB needs elf files not bin files

bin files are loaded via memory card, power on the camera and wait for the prompt to update

It will be a custom one for the supplier, based on the previous release that is on mini0806.com but with a different logo and defaulting to Russian language.

Ahh, my Monken 0806 has firmware with a date in May too. So this could actually be very old firmware with their alterations on it? I assume I'm best to flash the 03 dated standard firmware?

Ahh, my Monken 0806 has firmware with a date in May too. So this could actually be very old firmware with their alterations on it? I assume I'm best to flash the 03 dated standard firmware?
It is likely to be built on the release immediately before it's date, so unless you are missing the mute startup sounds function, or you want higher quality images from the custom version then there is no reason to change.

Yes, I have mute startup. Okay, thanks.

@Nigel - any news on a version of firmware that fixes sd card switching ?
Also my camera with default settings and the latest firmware keeps restarting and doing weird screen dimming when I first connect it to the gps mount.

I'm using this firmware in 2 cameras. I have changed the turn off time after loss of power to 1 minute but the camera still shuts down after about 15 seconds.

I'm using this firmware in 2 cameras. I have changed the turn off time after loss of power to 1 minute but the camera still shuts down after about 15 seconds.
The "turn off time" setting is for the amount of idle time (not recording) before shutdown, if it looses power then it will always start to shut down after about 10 seconds. If you want it to stay on for a while after turning the engine off then you need to install something to delay the power turning off.

Just got around to installing the 0806firmware-150323-DCT firmware on my second Mini 0806, but after the update the Mini 0806 indicates that firmware version is 20150320 V1.0. Is that correct or did I do something wrong?

think of these DVR’s as mini computers, just like a computer when shutting down it needs to tidy up things then switch off, same with these DVR’s, the main one being to safely save the last film clip safely (not corrupt), so there’s a delay of around 10/20 seconds after power off that they switch off, if you wanter to have the DVR still running for a longer time after switch off then you need is something like this:

http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timedelayrelay/timedelayrelay.php

there are many more that do the same thing some costing less and a few costing a lot more, but “time delay off” is what you’re after

Trying to install Nigel's firmware on my second Mini 0806 and for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be taking it. The firmware that's currently on the mini is 20150320 V1.0. What am I doing wrong?

Back