0906 disassembly

Yeah, sure it's hard and this shall not be an accusation but I will still call it "abuse" since thats not the primary purpose of the shield.
Using the shield to spread the heat is better than using no shield - I'm not even questioning this.

Btw my assumption about RX/TX from first picture was right, I got a shell:
upload_2017-5-7_20-26-42.png

I'm not really sure if the shield does a good job as heat sink. Heat sinks are all about spreading, the shield doesnt offer too much area for the heat so spread in comparison to a real heat sink
Also, it is never a good idea to attach one heat sink to two chips.

BTW uart, if you add ig to that then you have uartig, meaning naughty in Danish.
On the other hand remove the U and you have artig meaning well behaved in Danish

This conclude today's lesson in the weird Danish language :)
Thank you it is nice to learn new and useful words :)

I'm wondering what the logic was not to use an actual heat sink as in the 0806? Perhaps you guys who did the tear-downs can say whether there is as much available room for a heat sink in the 0906 as there is in the 0806.

Mini-0806-GPS-Fix-9.jpg

I'm wondering what the logic was not to use an actual heat sink as in the 0806? Perhaps you guys who did the tear-downs can say whether there is as much available room for a heat sink in the 0906 as there is in the 0806.

View attachment 30741
CPU side of the pcb is the lower inner side, so no room for a heat sink

CPU side of the pcb is the lower inner side, so no room for a heat sink

I see, thanks for explaining. Now I'm wondering why it was located on the inner side of the pcb where there would likely be less air circulating?

I have literally no idea of circuit design but they probably had a reason to do this (without thinking about heat problems)
Maybe @Rayman.Chan can say why

That 0806 heatsink look much like the ones i have put on GFX card ram modules when i have put H2O cooling on the GPU itself ( never liked full coverage H2O waterblocks for GFX cards )

I have literally no idea of circuit design but they probably had a reason to do this (without thinking about heat problems)
Maybe @Rayman.Chan can say why

I is extremely difficult to make a layout of a pcb. I'm sure there have been more prototype before this one. I don't know how fast the clock is, but at high speed, the wire on the board, start to act like small coil or capacitor and then you will start have "lot of fun":eek:. I'm sure there know cpu get hot, but it might have been the best solution there could come up with.

Nothing is easy, when you build small and fast electronic.

Why "abuse" and not "smart" to use for two purpose?

yes it is used as EMI shield and heat sink at the sametime.
this shield is not regular Tinplate but Copper-Nickel Alloy which is more diathermanous

by the way i forgot to mention the disassemble instruction of 0906, you may need that when you get the new lens.
www.mini0906.com/uploads/906disassemble.doc

Thanks for the disassembly instructions @Rayman.Chan. Such a detailed tear down tutorial will ultimately be of interest to many DCT members other than us testers and no doubt @DashCamMan may even want to post the link to the appropriate spot on the Home page eventually.

This looks like a complex and fairly time consuming repair. For me, I have no time to devote to something like this right now because of other pressing commitments much as I enjoy projects like this. I will have to bow out of testing the camera for at least a week or two which is frustrating and disappointing.

I am puzzled how an experienced company like MEG could end up shipping out test samples like this all over the world with such a serious lens flaw. Heat has been a big challenge for the mini series since the very beginning so this focus issue could have and probably should have been anticipated or easily caught early on. I'm sorry, I'm just being honest here as someone needs to ask this important question. Beta testers are supposed to flesh out all the little details and unanticipated problems not be tasked with major camera repairs. In fact, a regular customer who dismantled a camera to this degree would probably not even be able to return a camera that has been tampered with to this extent because of the possibility of making a small mistake putting it back together. Some of us have these skills and some people don't but the camera may not be quite the same afterwards than one that comes off the factory floor making it more difficult to trust the test results that come later.

It is quite sorry Dashmellow, our mistake.

In our two months test here we haven't found the out of focus problem, maybe the weather is cold here so this problem is not present.

MEG is aways work on products which have unique & useful features, instead of the regular products which only have different appearance and same core. We got many software petents such as exclusive parking guard, temperature protection, image boost, dual card switching, and so on; we produced exclusive cigar charger, hardwire kits, CPL and so on for our advanced cameras; MEG spent a lot of energy and cost to make things better, to avoid the "price for quality" products; we believe most people in this forum have known this. (for example 99% cigar chargers on market will not pass EMI but the users don't care about this, but you can verify MEG charger.)

We know there must be some unanticipated problems hidden, that is why we released beta samples to testers and distributors to help to figure out, instead of release pre-production cameras to end users, which will be irresponsible. We believe we are one of the only companys which insist on public test before production.

We understand the tester's time is very valuable, that is why we did't send the engineer samples but wait for pre-production ones with the formal housing/accessories/packaging and so on; we want our companions facing it as product not prototype.

Anyway, we looking forward to get the actual evaluation & comment & suggestion in the test. Some testers asked if we should set a private forum to discuss just in case there is any negative feedbacks, we declined as we want a impartial result, no matter good or bad; any feedbacks will be helpful for us, bad comments only encourage us to make it better, not hide the defects and execute in mass production.

All the submissions we got in the past week they are very helpful for us to improve the product, I have listed them and sending to our engineers. (sorry I was too busy last week and not show up here)

We are recurring the problems here following your step, no tolerate any blemishs.
Thanks a lot to all the testers.

Sincerely,
Rayman

All the submissions we got in the past week they are very helpful for us to improve the product, I have listed them and sending to our engineers. (sorry I was too busy last week and not show up here)
Can you post the list for us to see so that we know which problems are already on your list, then we don't need to post ones you already know and if you have missed any posts we can post again?

:bookworm:
It is quite sorry Dashmellow, our mistake.

In our two months test here we haven't found the out of focus problem, maybe the weather is cold here so this problem is not present.

MEG is aways work on products which have unique & useful features, instead of the regular products which only have different appearance and same core. We got many software petents such as exclusive parking guard, temperature protection, image boost, dual card switching, and so on; we produced exclusive cigar charger, hardwire kits, CPL and so on for our advanced cameras; MEG spent a lot of energy and cost to make things better, to avoid the "price for quality" products; we believe most people in this forum have known this. (for example 99% cigar chargers on market will not pass EMI but the users don't care about this, but you can verify MEG charger.)

We know there must be some unanticipated problems hidden, that is why we released beta samples to testers and distributors to help to figure out, instead of release pre-production cameras to end users, which will be irresponsible. We believe we are one of the only companys which insist on public test before production.

We understand the tester's time is very valuable, that is why we did't send the engineer samples but wait for pre-production ones with the formal housing/accessories/packaging and so on; we want our companions facing it as product not prototype.

Anyway, we looking forward to get the actual evaluation & comment & suggestion in the test. Some testers asked if we should set a private forum to discuss just in case there is any negative feedbacks, we declined as we want a impartial result, no matter good or bad; any feedbacks will be helpful for us, bad comments only encourage us to make it better, not hide the defects and execute in mass production.

We are recurring the problems here following your step, no tolerate any blemishs.
Thanks a lot to all the testers.

Sincerely,
Rayman

Thanks for your reply @Rayman.Chan. I appreciate your comments. I apologize for my frustration with the fact that I will need to take a break from the testing because of not having time right now to completely disassemble the camera. It's actually something I would enjoy doing except and prefer to be doing but I am immersed is a tedious and very time consuming project that is taking precidence at the moment.
In the meantime, I take breaks to post on DCT as a distraction from other work. I would rather be out testing the camera.

Anyway, my comments really come from the expereince of doing the beta testing for the mini 0806 camera where heat related questions came up as they always seem to do with this small highly capable family of cameras. At the time, I remember you posted a photo of a whole group of 0806 units being tested inside a heat chamber and gave us some measurements to look at. While I realize that a thermal test chamber is not the same as real world testing in a motor vehicle yet my thinking is that a problem with lenses that go so out of focus like we are witnessing here should have manifested during laboratory style temperture testing at least enough to have alerted your team to issue. If anything might be expected to go wrong with a mini camera it seems like overheating would be the first thing to build for when selecting components. Perhaps I'm off target with these assumptions but that is where I was coming from here.

Then again, we all know about Murphy's Law...."Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong", and that's why we were all invited to particpate here.

In any case, very few manufacturers are as forthcoming as you are and certainly I don't know of any who would do this kind of beta testing in a public forum. I really admire you for that as most would do this in one of the private forums here on DCT. This helps the general DCT community understand the process involved in bringing a quality product to market and likely leads to a better product in the end as well.

OK, break's over, back to work. :bookworm:

Last edited:
by the way i forgot to mention the disassemble instruction of 0906, you may need that when you get the new lens.
www.mini0906.com/uploads/906disassemble.doc
"The resistor on PCB is 9.1 KΩ, you can change it to 10KΩ MAX if you want to raise the shutting off "

9.1 KΩ = ?? C
10.0 KΩ = ?? C

Mine seems to shut down at around 85C, other people have reported 73C, presumably both with resistors that are supposed to be 9.1 KΩ.
If we want to raise the temperature to 93C like in the manual, what value do we use?

well i have been to the post office to retrieve 2 lenses in the mail :)

But i did mess up something it seem ( so far )

Having old eyes and eczema on my finger tips make it hard to mess with such small things, but so far i have gotten the 2 PCB bords taken apart, and changed the lens.
But so far i have not been able to make the camera power up using the micro USB port like i have done before, those 2 little flexible interconnects seem to be the problem, though it appear i have them assembled just fine ( and them being turned the right way ) i have not yet managed to get the camera to power up so i can focus the new lens.

O and i managed to tear the 2 wires to ( the microphone i assume ) mounted in the half shell with the opening for the lens :oops: i was kinda expecting this as wires this small are not really meant to be messed with after assembly, and so being ever so gently with the 2 PCB s and that half shell attached to the one PCB the wires still broke at the soldering on the PCB.

I am not too worried about that though, me being foul mouthed and english speaking at least in my car, and the music often going in the car i have to mute microphone or mute sound track in post production as youtube otherwise throw a copyright fit.

And after all i have also concluded that the microphone in my camera seem to be working good, and should not present any additional work for the MEG engineers.

Now back to trying to get the camera to power up so i can get on with it.

O BTW i noticed the RTC clock battery on the PCB seem to be installed loose, it can wiggle back and forth a little, maybe this is the reason my camera always boot with the default time/date, and then adjust itself when the GPS come online.

But for the first seconds in the mount ( before GPS lock ) or without using the mount and powering camera via micro USB, my sample always use the default time/date.

Those little wires are to the speaker, with them broken it will be nice and silent, no chime sound when it starts up. The microphone is on the PCB and will still work.

Most likely you haven't pushed the ribbon cables far enough in to the connectors before closing the latch.

I hope you read the instruction for discharging the Super Capacitor before plugging those ribbon cables back in. Should discharge it for maybe 10 seconds.

If the lens hole in the front PCB was 1mm larger then we could have changed the lens without separating the PCBs!

This is my worst finger, but almost all of them at least on the finger tips are and feel like the skin have thickened and so having problems with delicate operations.

Just go to prove my luck.

After having that stuff on my legs for most of my life i finally get a ointment that work and remove it from my legs, but as it disseapear from my legs it come on my fingers where it have never been a issue :(

I can only assume either god are having fun at my expense, or i must have been a naughty person in another life.

Either way the stuff that worked so good on the eczema on my legs removing it in 3 weeks don't work the least on my fingers o_O

IMG_20170516_131622[1].jpg

Back