0906 falling off

Alright this is getting ridiculous now. I finished all my supplied VHB pads, and all of them failed in a week. Despite how carefully I followed the instructions , wiped both surfaces clean with alcohol , left it out in the sun to affix. Either I’m not just getting this right or their product is utterly crap. Why bother even including them if they don’t do their job? Now I’m considering getting those outdoor mounts to see if they’ll work or just crap like the rest. Whoever designed them should get fired. Waste of my time and money.

I've used all mine up now too and it's still falling off. They're rubbish.
What now?

Try buying a roll of 3M VHB tape from Amazon (so you can be fairly sure it's genuine.) It isn't that expensive, and you get 3 metres so it should last a while.

The trouble is there are so many varieties : for high temperature and metal, demanding surfaces, different material combinations etc.

One that looks possibly relevant is 3M 4952 "For connecting: plastics such as hard PVC, ABS, acrylic/PMMA, polycarbonate and low energy materials such as PP or PE."

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I will throw in one other piece of advice, probably everyone knows already but worth stating anyway. Do not touch the sticky surface of the tape with your fingers. Not even once. Not even quickly. There's no 5 second rule here. Oil from your skin will reduce the grip drastically.

You may have no choice but to use fingernails on the very corner of the tape you've cut off, unless you use tweezers, but touch no more than that.

Try buying a roll of 3M VHB tape from Amazon (so you can be fairly sure it's genuine.) It isn't that expensive, and you get 3 metres so it should last a while.

The trouble is there are so many varieties : for high temperature and metal, demanding surfaces, different material combinations etc.

One that looks possibly relevant is 3M 4952 "For connecting: plastics such as hard PVC, ABS, acrylic/PMMA, polycarbonate and low energy materials such as PP or PE."

Ok, I've just ordered this tape from Amazon.
I'll report back on it once it's been applied.
In the sun yesterday the tape that comes with the camera only lasted a couple of hours, if that.

you need the flame

Some times you do, i have flame polished a bit of Acrylic over time, you can only sand it so good, then flaming the surface it become clear like glass again.

One of those case modders delights :)

I just wiped the glass with a napkin to clean the glasses - the camera never fell, and it's unreal to remove. I did not wait 24 hours, and immediately went to test the camera.

Ok, I've just ordered this tape from Amazon.
I'll report back on it once it's been applied.
In the sun yesterday the tape that comes with the camera only lasted a couple of hours, if that.

So far so good.

Some times you do, i have flame polished a bit of Acrylic over time, you can only sand it so good, then flaming the surface it become clear like glass again.

One of those case modders delights :)

I was involved in car audio competition previously and we used to do this a lot

Indeed at one time car audio was like casemodding, a lot of acrylic and other bling went into cars.

So of course when i got around to putting windows in my PC build,,,, i just had to use real glass, which it seem like major case brands have just picked up lately.
Though they use hardened glass where i used plain glass so i have the chance of cutting myself up real good if i get the chance.

Well the replacement pads they sent me seems to be lasting longer than the ones included. It has been about 2 weeks now and so far they haven't fell yet.

I had the same issue. I ended up using a pad that came with my old 0806 and that has held fine for a couple of weeks now. The 0806 pad seems thicker and stickier, it took me ages to get the white cover off, but the end result seems much better so far.

In the case of 3M VHB tape, it seems to be the thickness and flexibility of the middle foam layer that works the magic. It isn't all about the adhesive, and 3M knows it.

Sent from my V10 using Tapatalk

I thought I'd try some car trim/badge tape that I already have before getting anything else.
At first it held but then the weather got a bit warmer and the mount/camera would fall off, except this time the tape stayed stuck to the screen and the mount unstuck from the tape (previously the pad would stay on the mount and unstick from the glass). I would press the mount back on to the tape whenever this happened but after another week of doing this it stopped falling off and has been fine for two weeks now, even in direct sunlight. :)

What has worked for me so far, in super-hot southern california, after 4 of the included VHB tape pieces fell down within seconds/minutes (after ~48 hours of no-weight bonding time each), and I was offered a measly 5% discount on the no-guarantee replacement VHB tape:

Gorilla mounting tape (clear), with a dab of superglue placed in the center.

I'm not even sure if the super-glue was required, it's holding so well -- and I even installed this while it was >90F outside, mounted the dashcam immediately, and left it to sit in the sun. Hasn't budged a millimeter!

Back