0906 falling off

it's not the heat, you need the flame, same process won't work with a heat gun, same process is often used on plastics that need to be painted so that the primer/paint will stick without issues

I would imagine if you get the plastic hot enough to melt or nearly melt with a heat gun it would have the same effect as a flame. My heat gun can start things on fire quite easily if I don't pay attention.

I would imagine if you get the plastic hot enough to melt or nearly melt with a heat gun it would have the same effect as a flame. My heat gun can start things on fire quite easily if I don't pay attention.

I'm not sure if it would work, I suspect not but could be wrong

Interesting. I think a $150-$200.00 dash cam shouldn't require such heroic measures on the part of the customer, especially as the tape generally comes pre-applied to the mounting plates. Maybe it's a thing that should be done at the factory if it's such a problem?

Interesting. I think a $150-$200.00 dash cam shouldn't require such heroic measures on the part of the customer, especially as the tape generally comes pre-applied to the mounting plates. Maybe it's a thing that should be done at the factory if it's such a problem?

yeah I don't think it should be required either, in the factory they use an adhesion promoter, a type of primer that 3M makes for this purpose which is another method, the primer is not something an end user is going to have access to if they need to move a mount and apply a new piece of tape

the surface treatment method by flame is something the injection molding factory would need to do, not all of them have this type of equipment

I had exactly this problem too with my 0906 which detached itself from my windscreen 3 times. Every time the screen had been warm and I had properly cleaned it. I think the camera and the cables attached are just putting a constant pressure on the pad which eventually says "enough" and comes off.

I've now attached it with some RTV silicon and it's rock solid........:D

Having the same issue. On the third sticky pad since I bought the camera just after Christmas, this time it lasted 3 days before it started to come away from the screen and fell off on the 4th. Each time the screen has been cleaned thoroughly, just as it was for the previous two camera's (0801 and 0806), and they never came off.
The rear camera has been fine.

Will have to get some of that tape shown earlier in the thread. Shame.

Same thing happened to be about 3 times now. I was considering if I get one of those 3m VHB for outdoor use. It's very annoying having to replace the pads because they don't do what they're supposed to do.

I've just taken off 3 mounts, and it was damn hard. When I applied them I cleaned all surfaces thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol, then left it a while to dry.
And I've also reapplied one mount, but temporarily (vehicle being changed soon.) So I used some VHB tape on a roll, just used a strip down the middle of the mount, and made the strip longer than necessary so it pokes out at the ends. My theory is that this will be (A) even more secure, and (B) easy to remove later, because I can start peeling off the exposed parts. We shall see.

I've had this happen a number of times now.
It's not actually that the glue isn't strong enough. Once it's on I can't pull it straight off. The issue is that the mount sits at one end of the camera and so, over bumpy roads (especially in a car with firm suspension like mine) the camera acts like a lever. It bounces ever so slightly up and down gradually peeling off the vhb tape at one end. This gets worse until it eventually falls off. I'm not entirely sure, other than a bit of super glue at the end it fails on what will solve it. The mount needs to attach to the middle of the camera.
I've not used any of the cable clips as I don't need to but I may use one on the rear camera cable to help hold the camera up. I'll see if that helps.

I fitted my old 0806 to my brothers car (BMW 3 series coupe M sport on 19's) and that hasn't fallen off... might see if there are any sticky pads left over from that camera or the 0801 and try those.

Anyone else had a problem with the pads not sticking to either the windscreen or the mount?
A few weeks back the mount came away from my windscreen. The sticky pad was still attached to the mount but it had come clean away from the screen. I stuck another pad onto the existing pad and put it back on the windscreen. Yesterday the camera was hanging by the cables again but the sticky pads were still attached to the screen but they had come clean off the plastic mount.
Any ideas on something stronger so this doesn't keep happening?
Yes! I have this problem as well, I cleaned the glass with acetone then good glass cleaner but when a bit of heat it comes off.

I am going to use black silicone to mount mine, it will not be effected by the heat and will adhere quite well BUT, will release with a string.

I was told to use acetone to clean optical sensors at work, but I used isopropyl alcohol instead because I had that already. I never got round to buying acetone because the alcohol did a perfect job. But I've seen a lot of cloudy looking sensors and I suspect acetone is sometimes the culprit (dissolves more than just the dirt?) Also it might leave behind residue. I wouldn't be surprised if the nail varnish remover variety has added oils for example.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Would it work if i used one of those 3m VHB for outdoor use? Or maybe it's too overkill?

I was told to use acetone to clean optical sensors at work, but I used isopropyl alcohol instead because I had that already. I never got round to buying acetone because the alcohol did a perfect job. But I've seen a lot of cloudy looking sensors and I suspect acetone is sometimes the culprit (dissolves more than just the dirt?) Also it might leave behind residue. I wouldn't be surprised if the nail varnish remover variety has added oils for example.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
You are right Acetone is strong stuff and will dissolve some plastics and other materials so it is a a good idea to test a insignificant area first, other than those materials it is suppose to remove films then evaporate completely though I will clean afterwards with another cleaner like alcohol to be sure.

UPDATE ! Acetone will dissolve the plastic that the BlueSkySea mini 0906 is made of, I tested it today on the two degree wedge that came with the mini and that is made from the same material.

Attachments

• Acetone Scuffing.jpg
    Acetone Scuffing.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Glad I didn't listen to the advice to use acetone then!

I ran a test on the two degree wedge that came with the mini which is made of the same material, first I ran a flame across one side of it with a lighter second I wiped half of both sides with Acetone and the otherside with dish liquid.

I suspect that the heat treated material was just washed away by the acetone. Next I cleaned a small area of my windshield with acetone and then with alcohol mixed with vinegar then another small area with just alcohol/vinegar mix and then lastly I put a spoog of black silicon II on all of those surfaces and waited twenty four hours to see what surface the silicone will adheres to the best. The silicone sticks to the windshield cleaned either with just alcohol or with acetone then with alcohol, I should've tested acetone alone.

The results show that heating the material and cleaning it with dish liquid promote the best bond, please note that the pictures are not in the best order to understand.20180419_142118.jpg20180420_122615.jpg20180420_122627.jpgAcetone Scuffing.jpgWindshield Test.jpg

Mine fell off again over the last couple of days when temperatures fluctuated from near freezing to high almost 70 Fahrenheit. In my vehicle I also have an EZ Pass Highway transponder for tolls that has never fallen off so I used the same strips for that on the Mini 0906 mount and so far so good. I'll report back in a week or so. You can search Amazon for "EZ Pass Mounting Strips", you can purchase a few strips or entire roll. The benefit of this strip is that it will let you remove the mount as needed for easier moving from car to car if you had a need to do so.

Don't bother with the supplied pads. I tried the first one (cleaned glass with glass cleaner etc first). Came off the 2nd day. Stuck it back on, was falling off later the same day. Used the second pad in the box, fell off 2 days later.
I had some auto-trim tape in the shed. Hasn't moved in a month. Auto trim tape is the stuff they use to stick plastic trim (etc) on to body panels, and it seems to work great. Also very cheap from most auto-stores.

Don't bother with the supplied pads. I tried the first one (cleaned glass with glass cleaner etc first). Came off the 2nd day. Stuck it back on, was falling off later the same day. Used the second pad in the box, fell off 2 days later.
I had some auto-trim tape in the shed. Hasn't moved in a month. Auto trim tape is the stuff they use to stick plastic trim (etc) on to body panels, and it seems to work great. Also very cheap from most auto-stores.

Depending upon which glass cleaner you used, the glass cleaner itself could have contributed to the quickly failed adhesion, especially if it contains ammonia or certain other ingredients. Isopropyl alcohol works best for glass preparation before applying 3M VHB tape. Another reason for immediate adhesion failure when mounting cameras, especially for the 0906 which puts most of its weight on one side of the mounting surface is not waiting long enough for the mount adhesive to achieve a full bond before hanging the camera. Full adhesion of 3M VHB # 5262 tape can take as long as 72 hours. Anyway, glad to hear that the trim tape worked.

Last edited:
Back